Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
20% cooler
 
thenext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 497
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Why do people hate being corrected?

I welcome it. If I am wrong, I would be more than happy for someone to tell me. I tell my friend his "favorite" music store isn't called "Concert" it is called "Conser" so when he is bragging about the $25 guitar strings on his axe that he doesn't even know how to play, he will only look like half as much as a philistine. Then, there is a girl I know who's every other status update is about the top dollar college she is in and I just corrected her on "their there and they're" and she went apeshit.

Why is it soo difficult to admit to being wrong about something?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutspeed View Post
/) hoof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
/)

Last edited by thenext; 08-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.
thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
328FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Because you touch yourself at night
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmo
im black but all my parts are paid for.
328FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
20% cooler
 
thenext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 497
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
Because you touch yourself at night
If I don't, who will?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutspeed View Post
/) hoof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
/)
thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Drunk Wagon Pilot
 
Pinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD / OCMD / D.C.
Posts: 1,059
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Because most people think their **** don't stink
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass$nyper View Post
Sluts rule, hence why I love my mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
From what I understand an escort caters to your needs, where as a prostitute is like a blow up doll you ejaculate in, and tell her to get the **** out.
Pinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
 
R.a.w.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,036
iTrader Rating: (0)
Krinjah
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

god when will this goober stop making threads
__________________
Internet Anger Anonymous
R.a.w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
DBAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,290
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Clearly you are in the same boat. If you are willing to argue the point you are unwilling to admit that you could be wrong. Even though you probably aren't...

Something I learned a long time ago is that your life will be a lost easier and people will be much happier around you if you don't feel the need to argue irrelevant points/facts. Hell even if you do convince them that you are right and they are wrong they are still going to think you are a ***** in the back of their head.

Smile, nod, repeat. Unless it really matters, and it almost never does.
DBAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
 
corona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boulder, co, united states
Posts: 6,329
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

i have a roommate who is NEVER wrong, and cannot be corrected.

nice guy, but is under the assumption he knows everything about evertyhing. i love busting out my phone and googling whatever the conversation is and citing sources. usually ends with something like "well....that's probably wrong then, cause i heard from such and such that such and such"....and me rolling my eyes.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
I give out free hugs
 
rota92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 16,080
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to rota92
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

My GF is going to be gone for 6 weeks coming up, and all I asked of her was to actually clean her **** up instead of tidy it like most of us do. I don't want to live around it if she's not going to be needing any of it.

Nobody likes to be told anything, or corrected, no matter the scenario. I avoid correcting people a lot, because I know they hate it.

The best is when someone tries to correct me about something that I know I'm right about, such as a car spec, or something at work, and I just let it go. It rages me, but it's easier. Can't win against ignorance.
rota92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
I give out free hugs
 
rota92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 16,080
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to rota92
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
i have a roommate who is NEVER wrong, and cannot be corrected.

nice guy, but is under the assumption he knows everything about evertyhing. i love busting out my phone and googling whatever the conversation is and citing sources. usually ends with something like "well....that's probably wrong then, cause i heard from such and such that such and such"....and me rolling my eyes.
LMAO I as going to add that to my post, I'll always bust out my phone when I decide it needs to be corrected. Usually when I'm drinking.
rota92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
20% cooler
 
thenext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 497
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAl View Post
Clearly you are in the same boat. If you are willing to argue the point you are unwilling to admit that you could be wrong. Even though you probably aren't...

Something I learned a long time ago is that your life will be a lost easier and people will be much happier around you if you don't feel the need to argue irrelevant points/facts. Hell even if you do convince them that you are right and they are wrong they are still going to think you are a ***** in the back of their head.

Smile, nod, repeat. Unless it really matters, and it almost never does.
I'm okay with it. If someone says I am wrong, I don't throw a temper tantrum about it. I know I'm not perfect. There is no need to be hostile over someone trying to preserve your credibility so you actually come off as someone who knows what they are talking about.

Really, are you going to trust someone to fix your car when they say it has a 'V4' engine, the 'Cadillac' converter is broken, and the 'breaks' are bad?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutspeed View Post
/) hoof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
/)
thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
 
RubyLube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

I dont know man, but I'm one of the few people who has learned to not give a **** and to set ego aside. I started young..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5uWfwqunLo Also I have a gf who's a freak so I really dont care about anyone or anything.

Its a bad habit, that will destroy mankind someday.
RubyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,195
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

because exhaust back pressure adds 1-5 hpsssssssssssssssssssssssssss
__________________
Blueberries
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
20% cooler
 
thenext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 497
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmoc View Post
because exhaust back pressure adds 1-5 hpsssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I was recently corrected on that, as long as you get a tune on open headers, you will actually gain power from doing so.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutspeed View Post
/) hoof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
/)
thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
LOL@"White Guilt"!
 
ITRbroham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Socal, CA
Posts: 8,791
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to ITRbroham
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

I've found that these folks who don't like to be corrected will usually make a fool of themselves because of their ignorance. That makes me lol and is much more satisfying than anything else. There can only be one know-it-all and it's better to take the high road, let these folk down easy, and roll your eyes.
__________________
Godspeed to the legendary Donald Byrd 12/9/32-2/4/13
ITRbroham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Honda-Tech Member
 
89efDUSTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 626, CA, United States
Posts: 11,231
iTrader Rating: (4)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAl View Post
Clearly you are in the same boat. If you are willing to argue the point you are unwilling to admit that you could be wrong. Even though you probably aren't...

Something I learned a long time ago is that your life will be a lost easier and people will be much happier around you if you don't feel the need to argue irrelevant points/facts. Hell even if you do convince them that you are right and they are wrong they are still going to think you are a ***** in the back of their head.

Smile, nod, repeat. Unless it really matters, and it almost never does.
Could not have said it better. x50billion
89efDUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Honda-Tech Member
 
Fergy82882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Honduras
Posts: 47
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

I think a more important question is why do you feel the need to correct someone?
Fergy82882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Honda-Tech Member
 
furious94ls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY, U.S.A
Posts: 2,032
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

You mean how people think it's ok to call a 96-98 Civic an EK, when there is no such thing in the U.S?
__________________
-2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6-6MT
-1998 Honda Civic HX 5MT (work car)
furious94ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FBGDD
Posts: 14,877
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Some people don't like being corrreted, and/or admiting they are wrong.

If i'm wrong, I'm wrong, correct me. I have problem admiting I am wrong.
98civdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FBGDD
Posts: 14,877
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furious94ls View Post
You mean how people think it's ?k to call a 96-98 Civic an EK, when there is no such thing in the U.S?
It's not just a 96-98 thing, It's ALL of 96-00.

I'm fine with people useing it when makeing a general statement about the 96-00 body style, but it get anoying when they say " my EK is missing, how do I fix it?"

OR, here's my EK9, click on it, and it's ****ing coupe.
98civdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun
 
Ash J. Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Trapped in time, Surrounded by evil, Low on gas
Posts: 5,234
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Ash J. Williams Send a message via AIM to Ash J. Williams
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

people do not hate being corrected.
you are wrong about it.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #21
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 322
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext View Post
I welcome it. If I am wrong, I would be more than happy for someone to tell me. I tell my friend his "favorite" music store isn't called "Concert" it is called "Consor" so when he is bragging about the $25 guitar strings on his axe that he doesn't even know how to play, he will only look like half as much as a philistine. Then, there is a girl I know who's every other status update is about the top dollar college she is in and I just corrected her on "their there and they're" and she went apeshit.

Why is it soo difficult to admit to being wrong about something?
Most people won't get offended or act defensively about being corrected if you do it in a constructive way. If I make a mistake I don't mind being corrected or told I'm wrong, unless the person is doing it purposely to be an ******* or prove they are superior.
jjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA
Posts: 6,422
iTrader Rating: (0)
DblDtchRddr
Send a message via AIM to jbpnoman
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

because

shut up you're wrong!
jbpnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
Daughter not possible
 
Rude Awakening's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a lake of vaginal juices
Posts: 1,672
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

because american
__________________
Looking for Miata or del Sol. PM me.
Rude Awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
been there done that
 
doood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 11,662
iTrader Rating: (1)
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

because i know everything
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Sometimes I think Fiji having access to the Internet scares me more than most Americans having access to firearms
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
We can be gay together bro
doood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA
Posts: 6,422
iTrader Rating: (0)
DblDtchRddr
Send a message via AIM to jbpnoman
Default Re: Why do people hate being corrected?

Except proper capitalization and punctuation, obviously.
jbpnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dating a woman with kids - Ex hubby - Wat do? Jayel General Discussion and Debate 80 09-04-2014 08:51 AM
Let's play "What would you do?" again shall we? Flav General Discussion and Debate 49 08-22-2012 12:07 PM
Story of heroin dealer in NYC Long read, but very interesting to say the least GREENMOB$TER General Discussion and Debate 112 07-13-2010 08:04 AM
How to Destroy a Woman's Life in 21 Days: Back on H-T Mythias General Discussion and Debate 93 05-31-2008 11:33 PM
So my NEIGHBOR robbed my house and the cops did absolutly NOTHING about it. TRAY General Discussion and Debate 117 03-11-2007 08:46 PM



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:16 PM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details