Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
ninjarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 373
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default religion and a longer life.

http://journal.davidbyrne.com/....html

Evolutionary basis for self-delusion?

If religious people do indeed live longer and are indeed happier, as some studies claim to show, then the evolutionary basis and reason for the continued existence of religion in the face of rationality and common sense is self-evident. Humans would have evolved a propensity to become religious because it helps their survival.

The truth may set you free, but you might not be as carefree and happy. It will eat away at you what hurts you does not necessarily make you stronger.

I would maintain that a healthy (i.e. substantial) amount of denial is therefore genetically heritable, that it allows us to blithely go on (despite reading Beckett) and to ignore the basic sadness and desperation of life. We can live in an illusion in fact we are genetically predisposed to do so. These illusions can be small I am just as good at catching game as Bob, my rival, for example or they can be very large that death is not the end and that I will be rewarded for my faith and Bob, the apostate, will rot in Hell.

Either way, they allow me to go on, to persevere in the face of unlikely odds or limited chance of success. We have evolved to be less rational that one might think, and to be slightly more delusional and even stupid.


discuss and/or turn into a **** thread that gets locked before I leave work for the day.
__________________
when did everyone become an *** and stop respecting one another?
ninjarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
 
Paxil4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 488
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (ninjarico)

Maybe because they don't live life.


Example
I'm banging as many girls and I can, getting trashed and enjoying the time I have now.
__________________

Yes, I like thick girls. [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emsmilep.gif[/img]
Paxil4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
ninjarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 373
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Paxil4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxil4x4
Maybe because they don't live life.


Example
I'm banging as many girls and I can, getting trashed and enjoying the time I have now.
So you are saying religious people will take less risks and/or lead lifestyles that simply present less risks (therefore extending their life expectancy)?
__________________
when did everyone become an *** and stop respecting one another?
ninjarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
 
Paxil4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 488
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (ninjarico)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarico

So you are saying religious people will take less risks and/or lead lifestyles that simply present less risks (therefore extending their life expectancy)?
Think about what some religions restrict, no pre-martial sex, no caffeine, no mind altering substances etc.
__________________

Yes, I like thick girls. [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emsmilep.gif[/img]
Paxil4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
ninjarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 373
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Paxil4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxil4x4
Think about what some religions restrict, no pre-martial sex, no caffeine, no mind altering substances etc.
Oh I understood your point, I was just confirming.
__________________
when did everyone become an *** and stop respecting one another?
ninjarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
Intense3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In the air of the night, S. Fla.
Posts: 3,990
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Intense3.2
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Paxil4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxil4x4
Maybe because they don't live life.


Example
I'm banging as many girls and I can, getting trashed and enjoying the time I have now.
You're a real winner.. . . I wanna be just like you. . . Click the image to open in full size.
Intense3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
You're a daisy if ya do.
 
Knightsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: The Deep Web
Posts: 100,285
iTrader Rating: (0)
Knightsport
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Paxil4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxil4x4
Maybe because they don't live life.


Example
I'm banging as many girls and I can, getting trashed and enjoying the time I have now.
Which "time you have now" is lessened by every STD riddle ***** you bed and every brain cell you uselessly destroy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Like Sol thinks he's straight?


I'm your Huckleberry.

http://honda-tech.com/kill-stories-11/
Knightsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
020
011
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 1,187
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Knightsport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsport
Which "time you have now" is lessened by every STD riddle ***** you bed and every brain cell you uselessly destroy.
SHhh!!!! Were trying to let Darwin work here!!!!
020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
 
CrashAndBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 191
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (ninjarico)

I don't really understand entirely what this is saying. If the argument is that we have created religion to make ourselves happy to ensure our survival. The article is not clear with evidence to support this thesis. The article says that we have inherited a denial as to avoid the hopelessness of the world so we need something to fill this up. Couldn't you say that if I just bought a new big screen TV to avoid reality is this the same thing? To say that because of this defense mechanism we created religion to feel better about the world is bs. Why don't we say that material possession that makes us happy can be apart of this or any activity that we can lose ourselves in can have the same effect. Why don't we blame fashion, social pressure, media all these things could make us feel unfulfilled. Blame society for putting pressure on people to look and act a curtain way. If you are blaming religion as the key source you need to open up your eyes and look at the bigger picture.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
This is exactly why I Love GDD... Someone comes here seeking compassion and understanding and when he's down and almost out, the entire community picks up a 2 x 4 and whacks him on the back of the head... I love it
CrashAndBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Assistant Moderator
 
Rguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,220
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Rguy
Default

Longer life is for suckers. By the time you have gotten to live that long you're wishing your *** was either 1. Younger 2. Dead.
__________________
Brian
Rguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
ninjarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 373
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (CrashAndBurn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashAndBurn
I don't really understand entirely what this is saying. If the argument is that we have created religion to make ourselves happy to ensure our survival. The article is not clear with evidence to support this thesis. The article says that we have inherited a denial as to avoid the hopelessness of the world so we need something to fill this up. Couldn't you say that if I just bought a new big screen TV to avoid reality is this the same thing? To say that because of this defense mechanism we created religion to feel better about the world is bs. Why don't we say that material possession that makes us happy can be apart of this or any activity that we can lose ourselves in can have the same effect. Why don't we blame fashion, social pressure, media all these things could make us feel unfulfilled. Blame society for putting pressure on people to look and act a curtain way. If you are blaming religion as the key source you need to open up your eyes and look at the bigger picture.
First of all badass screen name. Secondly I didn't write that little blurb. From what I can tell his argument is that as an evolutionary process man has created hope in the form of religion. This hope (false or not) gives religious people a more positive outlook on all their situations. This in turn leads to happier lives and that leads to a longer life. I don't think buying material things leads to the same kind of long term satisfaction when compared to having faith in a higher power (or whatever it may be). Also when you approach it as an evolutionary process to ensure survival, I don't think consumerism has been around long enough to effect any long term change in man.
__________________
when did everyone become an *** and stop respecting one another?
ninjarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
god.loves.ugly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (Knightsport)

Basically religious people live longer and happier because according to them they will go to heaven when they die, if you have eternal bliss to look forward too you are probably more likely to be happy. Opposed to people who don't believe in an afterlife who think that they will just die and never exist again...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
ninjarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 373
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (god.loves.ugly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by god.loves.ugly
Basically religious people live longer and happier because according to them they will go to heaven when they die, if you have eternal bliss to look forward too you are probably more likely to be happy. Opposed to people who don't believe in an afterlife who think that they will just die and never exist again...
Right I understand that idea but the argument or question he presents is...

Did man develop religion as an evolutionary response to encourage a longer lifespan?
__________________
when did everyone become an *** and stop respecting one another?
ninjarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
Member
 
fw190bvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan State University, USA
Posts: 7,240
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to fw190bvi
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (ninjarico)

evolution has NOTHING to do with people being religious. religion is a part of culture, and is passed down from parents to offspring...theres no gene pathway that "encodes" for religion, so evolution has NOTHING to do with it.
__________________
I remember the dinosaurs
fw190bvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #15
god.loves.ugly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (ninjarico)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarico

Right I understand that idea but the argument or question he presents is...

Did man develop religion as an evolutionary response to encourage a longer lifespan?
I seriously doubt it, I mean IF they are not true, I believe they were created out of fear of death, and fear of never seeing loved ones again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Member
 
fw190bvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan State University, USA
Posts: 7,240
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to fw190bvi
Default Re: religion and a longer life. (god.loves.ugly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by god.loves.ugly
I seriously doubt it, I mean IF they are not true, I believe they were created out of fear of death, and fear of never seeing loved ones again.
thats more like it. religion was what man came up with to explain his world. religion dates back thousands of years. Neanderthals and early sapians all buried their dead, often leaving behind flowers, tools, and meat/bones in the grave
__________________
I remember the dinosaurs
fw190bvi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join Honda-Tech.com

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:10 AM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details