Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
BolivianFuego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,437
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to BolivianFuego
Default How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours?

I want to know becasue a family member died recently over seas, and i suspect some foul play and some fishy stuff going on.

From my research alot of factors are invovled like the enviroment, etc. But generally speaking how long does it take after one dies?
__________________
JustDoingMy Thing.
BolivianFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
peacexisxfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where the weirdos are, so. ca
Posts: 2,264
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to peacexisxfree
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (BolivianFuego)

The speed with which decomposition occurs varies greatly. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and the season of death all determine how fast a fresh body will skeletonize or mummify. A basic guide for the effect of environment on decomposition is given as Casper's Law (or Ratio): when there is free access of air a body decomposes twice as fast than if immersed in water and eight times faster than if buried in earth.

The most important variable is a body's accessibility to insects, particularly flies. On the surface in tropical areas, invertebrates alone can easily reduce a fully fleshed corpse to clean bones in under two weeks. The skeleton itself is not permanent; acids in soils can reduce it to unrecognizable components; this is one reason given for the lack of human remains found in the wreckage of the Titanic, even in parts of the ship considered inaccessible to scavengers. Freshly skeletonized bone is often called "green" bone and has a characteristic greasy feel. Under certain conditions (normally cool, damp soil) bodies may undergo saponification and develop a waxy substance called adipocere, caused by the action of soil chemicals on the body's proteins and fats. The formation of adipocere slows decomposition by inhibiting the bacteria that cause putrefaction.

In extremely dry or cold conditions, the normal process of decomposition is halted, by either lack of moisture or temperature controls on bacterial and enzymatic action, causing the body to be preserved as a mummy. Frozen mummies commonly restart the decomposition process when thawed whilst heat desiccated mummies remain so unless exposed to moisture.

peacexisxfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Jobe16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bellingham, Wa, USA
Posts: 688
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jobe16
Default

gross
Jobe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
.MilanoRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 614
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (BolivianFuego)

ttiwwop??
__________________
"Lifes a garden, DIG IT!"
'92 Civic Hatchcrap
'97 4Runner Limited
'03 CBR 600RR
'07 Scion tC
.MilanoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
96hb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edisto Beach
Posts: 1,909
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (.MilanoRex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .MilanoRex
ttiwwop??
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
midori
96hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
New User
Garage is empty, add now
 
lildrgn2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Side of Hell
Posts: 4,348
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to lildrgn2.0
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (peacexisxfree)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacexisxfree
The speed with which decomposition occurs varies greatly. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and the season of death all determine how fast a fresh body will skeletonize or mummify. A basic guide for the effect of environment on decomposition is given as Casper's Law (or Ratio): when there is free access of air a body decomposes twice as fast than if immersed in water and eight times faster than if buried in earth.

The most important variable is a body's accessibility to insects, particularly flies. On the surface in tropical areas, invertebrates alone can easily reduce a fully fleshed corpse to clean bones in under two weeks. The skeleton itself is not permanent; acids in soils can reduce it to unrecognizable components; this is one reason given for the lack of human remains found in the wreckage of the Titanic, even in parts of the ship considered inaccessible to scavengers. Freshly skeletonized bone is often called "green" bone and has a characteristic greasy feel. Under certain conditions (normally cool, damp soil) bodies may undergo saponification and develop a waxy substance called adipocere, caused by the action of soil chemicals on the body's proteins and fats. The formation of adipocere slows decomposition by inhibiting the bacteria that cause putrefaction.

In extremely dry or cold conditions, the normal process of decomposition is halted, by either lack of moisture or temperature controls on bacterial and enzymatic action, causing the body to be preserved as a mummy. Frozen mummies commonly restart the decomposition process when thawed whilst heat desiccated mummies remain so unless exposed to moisture.
wouldnt it have been quicker to just give him the link to wiki rather than cut and paste? Click the image to open in full size.

Decomp is usually noticed most around 30 hours. That is when maggots and such start appearing. Rigor sets in after about 3 hours and obtains maximum stiffness at 12 hours and then gradually disappates until 72 hours.
__________________
I've got another confession my friend
I'm no fool
I'm getting tired of starting again
Somewhere new
-Best of you - Foo Fighters.
lildrgn2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
DragII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,539
iTrader Rating: (0)
Sk8 P
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (lildrgn2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrgn2.0
Decomp is usually noticed most around 30 hours. That is when maggots and such start appearing. Rigor sets in after about 3 hours and obtains maximum stiffness at 12 hours and then gradually disappates until 72 hours.
I call BS, I've had bodies in my trunk for longer than that, and they still look fresh!
DragII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mrmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 944
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (lildrgn2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrgn2.0

wouldnt it have been quicker to just give him the link to wiki rather than cut and paste? Click the image to open in full size.

Decomp is usually noticed most around 30 hours. That is when maggots and such start appearing. Rigor sets in after about 3 hours and obtains maximum stiffness at 12 hours and then gradually disappates until 72 hours.
yeah, in the african serengeti it would..
mrmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
twentywontowin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oak Lawn, IL, USA
Posts: 8,340
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (mrmonk)

I have family in the funeral business. Decomposition is very noticeable within 48-72 hours.
__________________
Mark
twentywontowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Acura Integra
 
PLAGUED_DB7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: East Los Angeles, 323
Posts: 3,619
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (twentywontowin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentywontowin
I have family in the funeral business. Decomposition is very noticeable within 48-72 hours.
yup.

When I did community service I worked at the coroners at general hospital Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
DB SQUAD #3
PLAGUED_DB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
peacexisxfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where the weirdos are, so. ca
Posts: 2,264
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to peacexisxfree
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (lildrgn2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrgn2.0
wouldnt it have been quicker to just give him the link to wiki rather than cut and paste? Click the image to open in full size.
yeah, but there was too much useless info, so i copied the important facts! Click the image to open in full size.
peacexisxfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 656
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (peacexisxfree)

im sorry to hear about ur family member. RIP.

but on a side note: 2 Hyenas can completely finish a human body in 3 hours, bones and all...no crumbs left behind.
mixxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
BolivianFuego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,437
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to BolivianFuego
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (twentywontowin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentywontowin
I have family in the funeral business. Decomposition is very noticeable within 48-72 hours.
Interesting...
__________________
JustDoingMy Thing.
BolivianFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
VTECth1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The 3 cities; 323/626/818 SoCal
Posts: 2,422
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: How long does it take for a dead body to decompose in hours? (BolivianFuego)

To the OP, sad to hear, mourn for your loss and feel your pain if any.

My girlfriend's uncle runs a large business in Guatemala, and hes loaded with $$, very rich man and very humble about it.

An organized group of people randomly come to rob his business and home. Shoot and kill his employees. And even threatened him with a ransom on his daughter if they didn't pay them or will kill her. Or they would kill the wife, if they didn't pay up. Click the image to open in full size.

Either way horrible **** to know that your gf/bf's family relative/member have their life at risk daily in another country with little help. Click the image to open in full size.

__________________
05 SRT-4....Haters gon' hate!
Holset H1C in the works....
VTECth1s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
body, country, dead, death, decomp, decompose, heat, human, lond, long, person, start, takes, ur, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:14 AM.



2008 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details