Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to!

Not really sure how to handle this situation, so I thought i would perhaps air it out and see what a 3rd party non-biased opinion could offer.

I work for a successful contractor/subcontractor where I have my own nice office, many lucrative benefits (gas card, full health/dental. cell phone etc) and im salaried. Its a nice job, 9-5 M-F. Work is always busy, there is never a shortage of bids that need to go out or estimates that need to be made from blueprints. I am the youngest one in the office (im 25) most of the other guys in the office are in their mid 40s-early 50s. They have all been in the industry for over 20 years most of them. I am one of the few (besides the CEO) who have any computer knowledge. when i say computer knowledge i mean just basic stuff that these guys cant do like unzip a file, put a file on the network, print out an attachment from an email etc. stuff that we all take for granted but for these guys its very difficult since they did not grow up in the computerized generation. Along with this, my brain works much much faster on the computer. Not only can i type faster, i can run the estimating program at least 50% faster than the next guy as he is busy hunting for the number keys on the keyboard.

Today at our weekly job meeting the owner took a second to bring up the fact that while we are a 9-5 outfit, it may be necessary for some of us to put in a little Overtime here and there to make sure we're getting all our work done. I dont mind working OT if its warranted. my dilemma is as follows: I leave every day at 5pm. I have never missed a bid deadline or an assignment/task in the year ive worked here so far. I think some of these guys resent the fact that i CAN get my work done on time, while they are often stuck staying late and working saturdays to play catch up. i sincerely think someone mentioned this to the boss and caused him to make a mention of it infront of everyone. while no fingers werer pointed and no specifics were mentioned, it was clear he/they were talking or indicating it was me they were focusing on.

What do i do? i have no reason to stay after!! i get all my work done ALWAYS. do i stay just to appease or do i "man up" and talk to the owner and say "look, i understand your concern, but i have no reason to stay after!" sigh, its not easy and because im a fast worker i look bad? how is that fair.

oh, and here is the twist......the Owner/CEO is my father Click the image to open in full size.

thanks for reading:


Cliffs: Sorry, im not in a giving mood today....read the damn thing!
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
 
cAnDyMaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 388
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to cAnDyMaN
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

so if he is your father whats the problem??.. Just man up to him at dinner or something..


__________________
[quote=Stacked]there are 116 important african americans? no ****.[/quote]

[B]Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.[/B][I]George S. Patton[/I]
cAnDyMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Member
 
timmy8151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States
Posts: 1,928
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

How the heck are you only working 9-5 for a construction company?? When I was estimating I was working 7-5 everyday. It wasn't that I needed to work the extra hours, but more that it was expected. Now that I'm a Field Engineer, my hours now run from 5:30 AM to about 6 PM everyday.
timmy8151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (timmy8151)

well actually its 8-5 and occasionally 7-5 on tuesdays.

it seems easy to just man up, he's my father. however he does provide me quite a bit of benefits as i explained. At work he's my boss, outside of work he's my father. so its not like i walk into his office and say "dad."

its tough to explain i guess. those that have worked in a family business can relate.

not to mention im 3rd generation and i have tons of pressure lol ughhh


"only the strong survive"
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
 
.MilanoRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 614
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

Wouldnt it be easier to just man up to your dad and tell him whats going on?
__________________
"Lifes a garden, DIG IT!"
'92 Civic Hatchcrap
'97 4Runner Limited
'03 CBR 600RR
'07 Scion tC
.MilanoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (RedHatchBlack)

well yes and no. i dont really even interact with my father, he's the CEO and all but i have my own dept head i have to anwser too. and i think he's the one complaining because he is incompetent and knows ill be coming for his job in the next 2 years or so. Even if i did go to my father he'd tell me to go talk to my "boss"

lol, this is had to explain. durrrrr
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
 
integra15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 1,140
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

Working a little overtime won't kill you will it? Besides it will show you care about the company and your co-workers.
integra15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Member
 
Honda Hick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South, NJ
Posts: 2,515
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Honda Hick
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

If you don't wanna talk to your dad, just keep staying til your work is done, which happens to be 5pm. Its not your fault more work isn't given to you or you're faster then everyone else. They aren't going to reprimand you for doing your job efficiently. Is there more work you could be doing? Do you get paid OT for staying late? I'm salaried and get OT, so just wondering.
Honda Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
* B A N N E D *
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canader
Posts: 875
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default

I think you should sit down and lay it out for him.

1) State the fact that you are more than willing to stay late if needed and will never question it

2) Point out the fact that you have never had to stay late previously and have always had your work done on time and properly

3) Stress the fact that you aren't slacking and do not feel the need to stay after hours everyday
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
 
Adam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 13.9 at 101.76mph, 2420lbs, FL, USA
Posts: 5,686
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

Jesus, he's your dad, just go freaking talk to him, this was seriously a waste of a thread and I never say that.
Adam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 AM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Honda Hick)

Honda Hick, you and the poster above you each made great points.

Yes, i could work overtime easily. i could get ahead and take on more of a project load. i do care about the company and i most likely will be running it in the next 10 years. I think honda hick hit it dead on with my viewpoint. It is not my fault that i am effecient and get my work done. I do not get paid to work OT and my weekends are valuable to me, as are my evenings. my point was, why should i look like an *******, because everyone else is slower than me?

I am estimating roughly $1m - $1.5m in projects monthly. i'm def meeting my "quota"

(thats $MILLIONs)
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (DarkKnight1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight1
Jesus, he's your dad, just go freaking talk to him, this was seriously a waste of a thread and I never say that.
Ok, and what would you say if i never mentioned the fact he was my dad? how would that change things....because basically he's my boss at work, not my dad. he plays two roles.
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
 
Adam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 13.9 at 101.76mph, 2420lbs, FL, USA
Posts: 5,686
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vapor

Ok, and what would you say if i never mentioned the fact he was my dad? how would that change things....because basically he's my boss at work, not my dad. he plays two roles.
I'd tell him that you are completing your work on time and if there is nothing else for you to do, there is no reason for you to stay late. People, even bosses, like when you are firm, speak your mind, do it clearly and politely.

The fact that he's your dad does actually make a difference whether you try to think it doesn't or not.
Adam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #14
Member
 
Lewdin' Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,101
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Lewdin' Incognito
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (integra15)

Instead of telling him you have no reason to work over; ask if that comment was directed toward you, and if so - what reasons does he have for you to do OT if you are in fact meeting all of your deadlines.
__________________
In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship.

.HCTIB A SI AIXELSYD
Lewdin' Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #15
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Lewdin' Incognito)

both very good points,

put the ball back in his court. Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #16
HT White Ops
 
PapaPark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ελλάδα
Posts: 10,526
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

It might be working overtime to get "ahead" with work and not just "meeting deadlines" you know?
__________________
| Σωκράτης | ἔλεγχος | By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher |
PapaPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #17
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (PapaPark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPark
It might be working overtime to get "ahead" with work and not just "meeting deadlines" you know?
this is also very true.

Guys, Im glad you're all putting your thoughts into this. i wrote this thread because i thought maybe i wasnt seeing things from both sides. hence the point of this!

great stuff so far. Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
David W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NOVA
Posts: 71
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (PapaPark)

Since this is the family business, all the other employees hate you already. You should want to work late and prove to be your own man, and not just the bosses son. Dont consider this a regular job, this is your family business and bread and butter. You should help out all of the old farts that you work with and everyone else. More money they make, the more money you will make in the future. Dont be small minded, think of the big picture.
David W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #19
Honda-Tech Member
 
PLAGUED_DB7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: East Los Angeles, 323
Posts: 3,619
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (David W.)

You should be happy you have a job for starters!!

Look at it this way. You have had this job for this long and its been fun, and a walk in the park. Now you have to bust your *** a little and work some OT. I put in 60 hrs a week myself. It takes hard work to get places in life. And if your so good get out of under your Father wing and work somewhere else then... Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
DB SQUAD #3
PLAGUED_DB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #20
Member
 
Lewdin' Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,101
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Lewdin' Incognito
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (David W.)

Another option would be to come in early, that way you still have your evenings.
__________________
In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship.

.HCTIB A SI AIXELSYD
Lewdin' Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #21
Honda-Tech Member
 
Mr. Vapor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GO LEAFS GO, NY, USA
Posts: 3,558
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Lewdin' Incognito)

you guys are right. i guess i just needed a kick in the pants. i was being to close minded.
__________________
2006 BMW M3 - Competition package [HIDs] [Nav] [M-DSC] [HK] [ZCP]
Mr. Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #22
HT White Ops
 
PapaPark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ελλάδα
Posts: 10,526
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (David W.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W.
Since this is the family business, all the other employees hate you already. You should want to work late and prove to be your own man, and not just the bosses son. Dont consider this a regular job, this is your family business and bread and butter.
This is definitely true.

__________________
| Σωκράτης | ἔλεγχος | By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher |
PapaPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #23
Meat Robot Invisible
 
khunt0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Big Nickel, Canadaland
Posts: 2,270
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

There's no reason for your co-workers to be pissed other then the fact they are resentful that you can accomplish your tasks faster than the can. Because you're being an efficint and dilligent worker you should be seen as a "slacker" if you don't work overtime? I think not.

Just continue to do your work and do it well. If somebody wants to bitch that you don't stay for any overtime remind them of the good job that you do in a smaller timeframe. That'll ensure you take over your bosses' position even faster. Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
'11 Dodge Journey R/T | '11 Triumph Speed Triple
khunt0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #24
Honda-Tech Member
 
TsunamiZC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, Tx, USA
Posts: 6,194
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Mr. Vapor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vapor
Honda Hick, you and the poster above you each made great points.

Yes, i could work overtime easily. i could get ahead and take on more of a project load. i do care about the company and i most likely will be running it in the next 10 years. I think honda hick hit it dead on with my viewpoint. It is not my fault that i am effecient and get my work done. I do not get paid to work OT and my weekends are valuable to me, as are my evenings. my point was, why should i look like an *******, because everyone else is slower than me?

I am estimating roughly $1m - $1.5m in projects monthly. i'm def meeting my "quota"

(thats $MILLIONs)
Ok, first and foremost.....this is being an issue for you because of your "i'm so better than all of them" attitude....in which you probably are.

But if your boss is challenging you, or even trying to smear you in hopes it will help him retain his job. Then this is where you really "man up" and go above and beyond what is required of you.

Work and hour or two of overtime and help with others peoples work, or give them a little instruction to increase the entire departments performance. And make sure people see it, and know you are responsible for that.

You can turn this into an excellent oppritunity to show how good you really are ...
TsunamiZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #25
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mechanicsville, MD, US
Posts: 1,569
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to nota-eg
Default Re: Boss wants me to stay and work late...I have no reason to! (Lewdin' Incognito)

I'd work the OT this time, but this Friday evening after work take your boss out for a beer or something.

Tell him you don't mind working the overtime, and ask him if there's anything in particular he wants you to work on.

Tell him that you always get your work done (which I'm sure he already knows) and that you will work OT if you need to, but you don't want to be working OT if you have nothing to do.
---

I told my current boss last summer that I don't mind working as long as there is something to do, but I'd rather have the day off to do as I pleased as opposed to wasting my time with busy work and wasting his money. He definately appreciated it.
nota-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glock sucks. 2LEM1 General Discussion and Debate 175 10-28-2014 02:41 PM
Anyone watch Undercover Boss? JDM-EJ1 General Discussion and Debate 18 04-23-2013 08:01 PM
Interesting article re: fanous violinist - I literally shed a tear reading it Black R General Discussion and Debate 13 11-28-2012 11:33 PM
Chicago and the Olympics: Study Inside druidesque Politics 0 09-28-2009 09:30 AM
Your take on this... police and lady that miscarried 816d16 General Discussion and Debate 149 02-04-2007 10:05 PM


Tags
asked, boss, do, early, expects, job, late, log, makes, overtime, overtimewhat, reason, stay, times, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join Honda-Tech.com

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:30 AM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details