Wheel and Tire

Wheel shake and pulling to right

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel shake and pulling to right

Stock 1998 Civic EX coupe w/ MT. Current tire size is (oversized) 195/75/14

Had a driver's side ball joint, right and left inner tie rod Bellows boot (only) replaced, tires rotated (rears to front) and an alignment done this past Friday.
After the alignment I noticed hard pulling to the right, but it was late in the evening and didn't take it back. Yesterday I spent a couple hours of highway driving and the wheel was shaking harshly from 60+ mph as well pulling (not drifting) to right. Also, there is a noticeable sound to the driver's side front tire that I didn't hear before the rotation.

I took it back to Firestone (lifetime alignment) this morning to get it check out and have the tires balanced. They said the rear tires are about done and there's cupping on the passenger front tire and a split belt on the driver's front which is causing the pulling and not because of the alignment. I made a poor decision a few months ago to buy used and oversized tires which is now biting me ****. Under 60 mph really don't notice wheel shake, but still wants to pull right. Before I had any of the work done (including rotation) there was shaking at higher speeds, but not as significant as there is now and the car didn't pull to the right like it does now.

My question(s) are:

1) Should I get a second opinion.
2) As I do mostly under 60 mph driving is there a safety issue or premature front end wear to be concerned with, with the existing tires.
3) I live in central west Florida. If I buy new tires what specifics should I look for concerning traction, longevity, weather (especially rain), etc..

I am currently considering these http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...85/65/14/tires (but at lower price) I have had Michelins on some of my past cars and had good experiences.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Wheel shake and pulling to right

If your car is vibrating even after an alignment and re-balance of the tires, then you need new tires. Leaving them on the car will cause further damage to suspension components.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
If your car is vibrating even after an alignment and re-balance of the tires, then you need new tires. Leaving them on the car will cause further damage to suspension components.
Thanks for your reply Matt. They said they put them on the balancer, but were unable to get the fronts to balance out without wobble. They didn't charge me for it though. I am looking for new tires. Any experience or comments on the Michelin Defenders? Other brand/model suggestions for P185/65r14 tires?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Answered my own question as it came down to Michelin Defenders http://www.samsclub.com/sams/micheli....ip?navAction=
($70 mail-in rebate) and Perelli P4 Four Seasons http://www.samsclub.com/sams/p185-65...prod6230242.ip
Defenders edged them out in all the reviews I read.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only prob with michelin tires i have PERSONALLY seen is here in FL as well at MOST you will get 2 yrs out of a set of tires. michelin tires are the WORST name brand tores for dry rotting because of heat. i have prob changed 400 sets of them and 100% honestly i can think of MAYBE a few dozen sets that were NOT cracked all to hell either in tread pattern (tread cap) or in the sidewalls. honestly if you dont do any drag racing on the tires or hard launches in 14" tires it is REALLY hard to be primewell ps9000 (i think that is the line). there VERY reasonable tires and i PERSONALLY. have had good luck with them and they offer pretty damn good wet weather traction in a NORMAL driving situation. i dont drive my car like a jack a$$. i just feel anyone putting michelins on their car (atleast in FL) is pissing their money away
Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
the only prob with michelin tires i have PERSONALLY seen is here in FL as well at MOST you will get 2 yrs out of a set of tires. michelin tires are the WORST name brand tores for dry rotting because of heat. i have prob changed 400 sets of them and 100% honestly i can think of MAYBE a few dozen sets that were NOT cracked all to hell either in tread pattern (tread cap) or in the sidewalls. honestly if you dont do any drag racing on the tires or hard launches in 14" tires it is REALLY hard to be primewell ps9000 (i think that is the line). there VERY reasonable tires and i PERSONALLY. have had good luck with them and they offer pretty damn good wet weather traction in a NORMAL driving situation. i dont drive my car like a jack a$$. i just feel anyone putting michelins on their car (atleast in FL) is pissing their money away
Do you happen to work at Firestone or Tires Plus? ..lol
I am open to suggestions but will never buy Firestone's again. Primewell is one of Bridgestone/Firestone's sub brands. I like Nexen but can't find them locally. Living in Florida I never expect any tire regardless of brand to reach it's max. tread wear mileage. If more people chime in about Primewell's I may have to reconsider.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i worked for SHORT time at a tire ***** shop (chain) and now a cert gm tech. so i see PLENTY of garbage tires. flaken912 is also another lower priced 14" tire i have good luck with.

cooper makes a few good choices in 14"
nexen makes "ok" tires
kuhmo like every honda runs
i have douglas tires on my bottle caps (my back up wheels)
but i still say for the money and what your demand are primewell is a good choice.

you can also order online from tirerack.com (vendor here) and they ship to your door
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few local prices so far:

Nexen CP641 : $68.76 per tire. $386 for set with lifetime mount, balance rotation. All other fees included.

Primewell and others: http://www.tiresplus.com/tire-pricin...tpms=0&submit=

The Primewell PS-831/850 for a set and installed are $272.88, so that sways me in their direction.

Last edited by Telecatster; 08-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would wait for doc (tire rack vendor) to pop in he may be able to beat the prices. or pm him
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A local tire shop (non chain) that has been in business in my area for 36 years is recommending these two brand/models:

http://www.westlaketireusa.com/tires.../westlake-sp06
http://www.milestartire.com/tires/ms932

Both brands are $300 with all fees include and installed. Milestar is a Nankang (Taiwan) product and Westlake is a Goodride (Chinese mainland) product. However, on the Milestar site "About " sections claims them to be American made.

Both brand/models have good ratings, tire wear warranty and reviews. Still, I am leery about chines made tires though.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i have NEVER heard of either tire brand
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn decisions.. and now the depression sets in. Well, if I am going to potentially err I might well err on the side of lower cost. Unless someone chimes in and learns-me-better I am going with the Milestars. They have really good reviews.