Wheel and Tire

Where to buy circa 80's SSR valve stems?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy circa 80's SSR valve stems?

Need valve stems for ssr ex-c mesh. Anyone know where to find some? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to buy circa 80's SSR valve stems?

will these fit?
http://www.more-japan.com/ssr-valve-svi-2.html
Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, those should work. If you want to know for sure, you can measure the diameter of the opening for your valve stem and compare it to the dimensions of that one.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valve stem holes have an industry standard. there's several sizes to choose from depending on what the manufacturer chooses for that particular wheel. Valve stems are universal and you dont need an SSR brand specific valve stem.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ExospeedAMcrx
Valve stem holes have an industry standard. there's several sizes to choose from depending on what the manufacturer chooses for that particular wheel. Valve stems are universal and you dont need an SSR brand specific valve stem.
This is not necessarily true, especially with older Japanese wheels that use "skinny" valve stems which are much thinner than your typical "TR" style valve stems and various 2pc and 3pc wheels which require a certain length and angle to the valve stem.

They may be "industry" standard valve stems for Japan in the 1980's and 1990's, but that would make it difficult to find them now, when the industry and its standards have changed.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CRXSTI
This is not necessarily true, especially with older Japanese wheels that use "skinny" valve stems which are much thinner than your typical "TR" style valve stems and various 2pc and 3pc wheels which require a certain length and angle to the valve stem.

They may be "industry" standard valve stems for Japan in the 1980's and 1990's, but that would make it difficult to find them now, when the industry and its standards have changed.
Well, considering I've got late 80's and early 90's SSR wheels in my collection, I can vouch for the valve stems not being much different (other then the way the valve stem caps are beveled and stamped for the logo). The diameters are very much a standard, that even today automotive wheels are manufactured by. There aren't very many diameters for valve stem holes out there. The majority of differences are in the way the valve stems seal to the wheel. Pinch seals using rubber grommets and two nuts are most common with the metal valve stems used on SSR's. There are, however, several different "styles" of rubber/synthetic valve stems out there. They're typically pressed in by hand.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Well, considering I've got late 80's and early 90's SSR wheels in my collection, I can vouch for the valve stems not being much different (other then the way the valve stem caps are beveled and stamped for the logo). The diameters are very much a standard, that even today automotive wheels are manufactured by. There aren't very many diameters for valve stem holes out there. The majority of differences are in the way the valve stems seal to the wheel. Pinch seals using rubber grommets and two nuts are most common with the metal valve stems used on SSR's. There are, however, several different "styles" of rubber/synthetic valve stems out there. They're typically pressed in by hand.
Have you seen Mugen MR5, M7, older 5Zigen, older Rays, Rays 2pc and 3pc, SSR wheels, BBS (made in Japan version), etc. that use the skinny valve stems? Or have you not come across those before?

Different, odd ball valve stems definitely exist, and it can be frustrating to continually order the wrong stems over and over.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRXSTI
Have you seen Mugen MR5, M7, older 5Zigen, older Rays, Rays 2pc and 3pc, SSR wheels, BBS (made in Japan version), etc. that use the skinny valve stems? Or have you not come across those before?

Different, odd ball valve stems definitely exist, and it can be frustrating to continually order the wrong stems over and over.
also referred to as "motorcycle" stems.

good info in this thread.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Stark Rennsports use motorcycle stems from when I refinished mine.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point was that you can still get those valve stems anywhere. they are not "special" for that specific wheel. I'm saying industry standard, because its available not just as an "SSR" or "Mugen" valve stem. They are being used for many applications, not just "rare JDM" wheels. Also some of these valve stems come with a combination of grommets to fit different hole sizes so its really not hard to find.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Found them! And cheap too. Just got them in the mail and they are good quality. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...a#ht_588wt_740