Wheel and Tire

stripped lug stud

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped lug stud

Ok here is the dilemma...got new rims with new lug nuts from a reputable shop. Everything was good to go. A couple of days later, my front passenger tire came off because of all 4 lug studs were stripped. Originally, I was thinking its the lugs. I took it back to the shop and told them and they said the lugs were good. They gave me a new set(same lug nuts). I bought 4 new lug studs from auto parts store and installed them. Now a 3 days later, one stud is stripped and on is on its way. My question is, what could this be? I noticed that the lug nuts don't thread all the way but its tight. I torqued them to 85 just to be safe. Funny thing is, its only on that rim that i am having this issue with. If someone knows what is going on please let me know and how can i fix this problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stripped lug stud

Bump
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did this every happen to you before?? if not i would think the lugs are the problem just my opinion
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what im thinking. The rims that I have, kosei racing(not sure of the actually type) they have the really small lug holes and the shop said that they would work. Its crazy because its only this rim thats doing it.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If that's the ONLY wheel having that problem, and the others don't have it. Why don'tchu inspect the lug nut seats on the wheel. Maybe, that's the problem. Or, why don'tchu try putting the car on jackstands, start it up, put it on drive and look if the wheel is bent slightly when it's spinning or your rotor assembly/parts could be loose.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt think of doing that. thanks. i will try as soon as i get home from work. hopefully that will explain something.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the lug studs dont tread all the way to the end of the lug nut, could that be it?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM
H-T Order of Merit

The most likely causes:

1. Lug nuts with the wrong shaped seating area. Most Honda/Acura wheels have a ball-shaped seating area and need lug nuts with the same shape. Most aftermarket wheels have a tapered/conical seating area and need lug nuts with the same shape. For an illustration, see the FAQ topic stickied at the top of this forum.

2. The lug nuts were not torqued properly. They need to be torqued with a torque wrench set to 80 ft-lbs. If there is any question about this, I recommend torquing them yourself. If you don't have a torque wrench (and socket), you can buy a decent one for $30 or less (such as this one for $12.99). In case you've never used a torque wrench before... It has instructions how to set the torque; set it to 80 ft-lbs. Tighten the lugs snug with the tires in the air, then only lower it enough to put a little bit of the car's weight on the tires and use the torque wrench at that point, before the full weight of the car is on the tire. Stop turning the torque wrench as soon as it clicks.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. The torqued it to 85. is that too much? Also, ran into another prob today. Well I got 3 of the 4 lugs in, but everytime, the 4 one doesnt want to go one for anything. I swap the order that i put them on the first time and the same thing. If i bored the the actual lug hole on the rim a little bit, would that affect the rim/ride? seems that i cant find small enough lug nuts to fit. do you recommend that i just get extended studs and see how that plays out/
Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you using closed ended nuts on extended studs? Or the wheel lug nut bore is too small for your lug nuts. Post some detail pics. I think you need to get smaller, open ended lug nuts.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by accord2civic2prelude
Cool. The torqued it to 85. is that too much? Also, ran into another prob today. Well I got 3 of the 4 lugs in, but everytime, the 4 one doesnt want to go one for anything. I swap the order that i put them on the first time and the same thing.
When you say "the same thing", are you saying that you're having trouble putting a different lug into the same position, or putting the same lug into a different position? If it's the same lug into a different position, it sounds like there's something wrong with that lug and I would replace it. If it's a different lug into the same position, it sounds like you're not putting them in right. Some hub setups don't have enough clearance for some lugs unless you do it in a certain way, in some cases removing additional parts, etc. Have you looked at the instructions in the service manual?

Originally Posted by alphalanos
Are you using closed ended nuts on extended studs? Or the wheel lug nut bore is too small for your lug nuts. Post some detail pics. I think you need to get smaller, open ended lug nuts.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM

1st make sure the lug width isn't larger than that of your stud
2nd make sure the seat of your lug matches to that of the wheel
3rd try removing that wheel and replacing it with another wheel off the car to see if it happens when you replace it, if not, try putting that removed wheel on whereever you took the other off of.
As it is possible it has a bend of dent of some kind that can affect it's stability.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys thanks for all the help. To answer the questions: Yes they are open end nuts on regular studs. what still cant figure out why it was giving me such a hard time. I got all 4 on and its driving fine now. Only thing, the nuts still dont thread all the way down but a reputable tuner shop told me that as long as the seating is good and like JNocon said we check the rim and it wasnt bent. it was just one of those wierd problems i guess. But in the end, they are all on and i havent had problems let. so thanks.