Wheel and Tire

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires

currently i am running on 195/50/15 falken ze512s but they're totally wore out after 20months and 23k miles (side of the tires are lower than trend marker with the middle still at half)
1. would the tire still do ok in the rain with the shoulders wore like that, if so i can save some money and buy just one tire back for a blown out one

i'm also upsizing to 205/50/15 or which ever biggest tire i can fit in a 94 civic because my speedometer is 5mph off currently with the 195, anyone know how big of a tire i can put into my car? it's not lowered.

i liked the falkens in the snow and that's all
a. dry grip was ok
b. wet cornering grip is horrible
c. resist to hydroplane was fabulous
d. trend wear is lower than average to me

now i want more
a.dry and wet cornering grip
b. more trend wear
c. a tire that's quieter than the 512s if possible just nothing noiser
d. 512's snow ability is decent enough for me

my tire choices came down to
yohohama S drive
general exclaim UHP
kumho ecsta asx
bfgoodrich g-force super sport a/s (only in my list because costco is having a discount, but they can't order it? if anyone know which costco has these)

i can get the g-force for 355 after the discount if there's a costco that has it but without the discount it's way over my budget at other places
i can get the general for 300 OTD

so 350 is my maximum budget.. what should i get?

Modified by hondmywrld at 7:10 PM 10/11/2008
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new tires (hondmywrld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">currently i am running on 195/50/15 falken ze512s but they're totally wore out after 20months and 23k miles (side of the tires are lower than trend marker with the middle still at half)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's awfully soon for an all-season tire to wear out.

Tires that wear more on both shoulders than in the center of the tread is often a symptom of underinflation. Do you check your tire pressure frequently?

It would also be a good idea to check all the other things that affect tire wear, including the car's alignment, and the suspension (looking at things like ball joints, bushings, bent components, etc).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. would the tire still do ok in the rain with the shoulders wore like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably not. Tire Rack tests have shown that, in rain, braking distances double with tires worn down to the treadwear indicator bars (i.e. 2/32" of tread depth) and are 50 percent higher when they're worn down to 4/32".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm also upsizing to 205/50/15 or which ever biggest tire i can fit in a 94 civic because my speedometer is 5mph off currently with the 195</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would stick with 195/50-15.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i liked the falkens in the snow and that's all
a. dry grip was ok
b. wet cornering grip is horrible
c. resist to hydroplane was fabulous
d. trend wear is lower than average to me

now i want more
a.dry and wet cornering grip
b. more trend wear
c. a tire that's quieter than the 512s if possible just nothing noiser
d. 512's snow ability is decent enough for me

my tire choices came down to
yohohama S drive
general exclaim UHP
kumho ecsta asx
bfgoodrich g-force super sport a/s (only in my list because costco is having a discount, but they can't order it? if anyone know which costco has these)
what should i get?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on what you're looking for. The first two tires are summer tires, and the second two are all-seasons. For the best performance in moderate to warm temperatures, including grip on dry pavement as well as in rain, you're better off with summer tires (and the S.drive is better than the UHP). However, all-seasons will last longer, and are also MUCH better if you drive in snow at least occasionally (which it sounds like you do, despite your location). Both those all-seasons are among the best all-seasons on the market. I usually recommend the ASX rather than the BFG, but that's primarily because the Kumho usually costs a whole lot less; if they're the same price, either one is good.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires (nsxtasy)

I agree with nsxtasy I would stick with the 195 instead of the 205...

As for the tires I would also look at the SPT's... I had them on my old eg and loved them
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new tires (nsxtasy)

i always keep my tire pressure at 38.. i tired 40.. but it's really easy to lock up the tires when i brake hard (another reason why i don't really like the 512s)

i do alignment every 6-12 months
i'm sure there's nothing bent
ball joints is the only thing i don't know the condition on, they're the original 15 year old ones but when i jack up the car and try to shake the wheels nothing shakes, so i think they're still good

i do not drive in the snow often.. i live in southcali rofl.. i only get to drive in the snow when i head out to snowboarding (that's like about 10 times a year)

the asx is snow ok and the UHP and s. drive isn't snow ok right? typically how much can i get a set of asx for?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: new tires (hondmywrld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i always keep my tire pressure at 38.. i tired 40.. but it's really easy to lock up the tires when i brake hard (another reason why i don't really like the 512s)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds awfully high.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the asx is snow ok and the UHP and s. drive isn't snow ok right? typically how much can i get a set of asx for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's about it.

In 195/50-15, the Yokohama S.drive is $63/tire at the Tire Rack, and the General Exclaim UHP is $57/tire.

The Kumho ASX isn't available in 195/50-15. In 205/50-15 it's $59/tire.