Wheel and Tire

Stance Mindset on 88 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stance Mindset on 88 CRX

I just picked up a sh*tty a** new Honda CRX that I was supposed to use as a commuter but I decided to get some new tires and now I'm just going to get it with some new wheels. Right now I'm looking at some Stance Mindsets 15x8 +25 offset and I'm not sure if it will fit when lowered. I only have this one picture to really go off of and I'm not looking for any excessive camber as I don't like that look and I need my tires to last. The tire size I'm looking at is around 195/45/15.

Wheel/tire gurus; tell me what you think: Will it fit or do I need to do something else (or pick another wheel at that). The OG Sans and Enkei 92s appeal to me as well.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stance Mindset on 88 CRX

At least it was nice to know I got 67 views so far.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

From the Forum Rules and FAQ:
10. Do not ask about "stretching" tires onto wheels that are too wide.
All such topics will be locked. Tire manufacturers determine the wheel widths onto which each model and size tire can be mounted safely, and you can find the range of these wheel widths in the specs on their websites as well as those of retailers like the Tire Rack. Mounting tires onto wheels outside this range of approved wheel widths is unsafe because it can, and often does, result in the buildup of excessive stress and heat in the tire sidewalls, which can lead to the tire "popping the bead" and/or tire failure. Make sure your tires are mounted on wheels whose widths are within the approved range.
Key things you may want to note:
1. The widest wheel with the lowest offset you can fit on your car (without modifying the car to improve wheel/tire clearance) is a 15x7 +35. Your wheel choice is simply not feasible, safely.
2. The widest wheel a 195/45/15 is rated for is a 7.5" wide wheel. Your tire size is too small for the wheel width you were requesting about.
3. This forum does not condone opinion-related topics (as noted in the rules).
4. 195/45/15 sized tires do not fit your car safely. 195/50/15's would fit your car, and be within a safe sizing margin.

Just as a head's up, many search engines (like Google) use a website caching system that adds pageviews to threads to store data. I'd be willing to wager that at least half of your pageviews are from Google alone.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
From the Forum Rules and FAQ:

Key things you may want to note:
1. The widest wheel with the lowest offset you can fit on your car (without modifying the car to improve wheel/tire clearance) is a 15x7 +35. Your wheel choice is simply not feasible, safely.
2. The widest wheel a 195/45/15 is rated for is a 7.5" wide wheel. Your tire size is too small for the wheel width you were requesting about.
3. This forum does not condone opinion-related topics (as noted in the rules).
4. 195/45/15 sized tires do not fit your car safely. 195/50/15's would fit your car, and be within a safe sizing margin.

Just as a head's up, many search engines (like Google) use a website caching system that adds pageviews to threads to store data. I'd be willing to wager that at least half of your pageviews are from Google alone.
THANK YOU! Holy sh*t. Okay, I was thinking this to be true but not exactly sure. And I didn't know about the Google fact; good looking out.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I didn't want to stretch my tires at all. I only wanted a slimmer profile and I was unsure to post this in the CRX thread or Wheels and Tires thread...or maybe another thread? It has been awhile.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Sanji

This is the correct forum for asking about safe wheel/tire combinations. If you're willing to do some work on the fenders/quarter panels to increase the amount of clearance you have to the wheels/tires, you could fit the Stance Mindset wheels (your second picture is actually a set of XXR 521's).
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the correct forum for asking about safe wheel/tire combinations. If you're willing to do some work on the fenders/quarter panels to increase the amount of clearance you have to the wheels/tires, you could fit the Stance Mindset wheels (your second picture is actually a set of XXR 521's).
Oh whoops. They look nice though. Anyways, is it just a pull and roll or heavy modifications to the fenders do you think? If it doesn't sound like much, I'll pull the trigger on these tomorrow; I really like them.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by srok1
Oh whoops. They look nice though. Anyways, is it just a pull and roll or heavy modifications to the fenders do you think? If it doesn't sound like much, I'll pull the trigger on these tomorrow; I really like them.
If you're okay with running a degree or two of negative camber (will not have adverse effects on tire wear, as long as you do not have any toe), then you should be able to fit them with properly sized tires (narrowest option I can find for your car being a 215/45/15) without having rubbing issues.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're okay with running a degree or two of negative camber (will not have adverse effects on tire wear, as long as you do not have any toe), then you should be able to fit them with properly sized tires (narrowest option I can find for your car being a 215/45/15) without having rubbing issues.
Oh that's great that the camber won't affect tire wear; I always thought it did somehow (of course if no toe). I will ask the tire guys when ordering my wheels for a final judge on that combination. I'll just have to ask some guys to help with the fenders and maybe see if it all fits in properly without the toe adjustment.

You've been of great help, thanks a lot.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No matter what you will get tire wear on the inner part of the tires if you are cambered; although, with 0 toe the tires will last much longer even with some camber.

I'm speaking from experience with my previous car. Had 0 toe and ran with a rear camber kit only. With bi-weekly rotations I got about 25k-30k miles out of them. The whole tire wasn't completely bald, but most of the tread was gone anyway.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by LSVTECKID
No matter what you will get tire wear on the inner part of the tires if you are cambered; although, with 0 toe the tires will last much longer even with some camber.

I'm speaking from experience with my previous car. Had 0 toe and ran with a rear camber kit only. With bi-weekly rotations I got about 25k-30k miles out of them. The whole tire wasn't completely bald, but most of the tread was gone anyway.
Before my recent wheel/tire setup, I had my car set at -2.5 degrees of camber in the front, with -1.5 degrees in the rear (0 degrees of toe). Over the course of 30,000 miles, there was no measurable difference between the inner tire wear and the outer tire wear. This was with monthly rotations.

It comes down to how much your vehicle weighs, how hard you drive the car, and what kind of terrain the tires see. For most cases, you can run up to 3 degrees of negative camber with no adverse effects (as long as you have 0 degrees of toe angle).
Old 12-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I've been calling a bunch of places to get them but many people don't carry the Stance Mindsets AND 215/45/15 tires for it; the original place that I was going to get them from was JHPUSA.COM but same situation as I said before.

So now I think I might have to buy the tires and wheels separately and have them mounted and balanced at the Firestone here in Stockton for like 92 bucks (Hunter Roadforce 5700) instead of saving money with just having them balanced all at one place.

So, I've also been getting a lot of guys saying the 215s might be too beefy but the 205 would have to be stretched (which I don't want), is this true?

All in all, I might have to choose another set of wheels like Rotas.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Sanji

Originally Posted by srok1
So, I've also been getting a lot of guys saying the 215s might be too beefy but the 205 would have to be stretched (which I don't want), is this true?
That is true. 205's are slightly undersized for the wheel you're looking to get.

As for purchasing tires and wheels separately, I'd definitely recommend looking around town for a mom&pop style wheel/tire facility. I pay $12 - $20 for a mount and balance, at my local shop. Even automotive dealerships can charge less than $92.