Wheel and Tire

HELP!! i'm in a dilema and i don't know what to do!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!! i'm in a dilema and i don't know what to do!!!

hey guys, as the title states, i have a tough dilema and i'm not sure what to do. i'l try to be breif as i really need some advice.

i bought this em1 and it came with these wheels on it with the tread on it too. the wheels to my knowledge are older konig imagines. the tire size is 205/40r17. i know the wheels are big for a honda but i really like the look of them. i like spokey rims.

i've worn down the front tires and had full intention of replacing the tires, i live in chicago so winter weather has cause me to put some dents in the lip of the rims due to potholes. i was going to have the front rims refinished and straightened for $130 a peice. ( i would hopefully be reimbursed by the city for at least 1 wheel) the tires are $130 a peice as well, so it would roughly cost me $550 (tax and misc) to get the 2 front rims refinished/straightend and new tread (falken azenis)

i walked out to my car and the front tire was flat. so i changed it. upon removal of the tire i discoverd the tread seperating from the sidwall on the inside part of the rim.(see pics) i was totally shocked and the only thing that i found to be the culprit is the bolt on the uper control arm scraping onto the tire. i felt the same area on the other front tire and it has worn down in the same spot too.

my problem is, are these wheels even supposed to fit on my car? is there a way to make them work? (i do not know the offset) is it worth it to fix these wheels and remount new tires on them or should i just get a whole new set of wheels? (btw the rear wheels are in good shape and the tires have about 50% of tread on them)

the biggest problem is i really don't have much money. i can barely afford to fix the wheels i've got so if i bought new wheels, they would most likely be rota gt3s.

how the wheels look on my car.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: HELP!! i'm in a dilema and i don't know what to do!!! (p0tential)

The outer diameter of the 205/40-17 size is exactly the same as the stock tires on your car. 205/40-17 tires should fit a '97-00 Civic without rubbing anywhere, ***IF*** the wheels have the proper offset to position the tires for maximum clearance in the wheel wells, and ***IF*** the car hasn't been lowered too much (up to 1.5" shouldn't be a problem).

Since the wheels are rubbing along the inside edge, they probably have the wrong offset for your car.

Sell the wheels and get wheels that fit your car. Since you don't have a lot of money to spend, you can pick up some used Civic or Integra stock wheels for a lot less than aftermarket wheels will cost. You can always get another set later when you can afford it better. And, since you don't have a lot of money to spend, don't get the Falken Azenis, which you'll need to replace three times as frequently as most other tires.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Re: HELP!! i'm in a dilema and i don't know what to do!!! (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The outer diameter of the 205/40-17 size is exactly the same as the stock tires on your car. 205/40-17 tires should fit a '97-00 Civic without rubbing anywhere, ***IF*** the wheels have the proper offset to position the tires for maximum clearance in the wheel wells, and ***IF*** the car hasn't been lowered too much (up to 1.5" shouldn't be a problem).

Since the wheels are rubbing along the inside edge, they probably have the wrong offset for your car.

Sell the wheels and get wheels that fit your car. Since you don't have a lot of money to spend, you can pick up some used Civic or Integra stock wheels for a lot less than aftermarket wheels will cost. You can always get another set later when you can afford it better. And, since you don't have a lot of money to spend, don't get the Falken Azenis, which you'll need to replace three times as frequently as most other tires.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

based on looking at the photo of my car...do you think the ride hight is too low? i've been told by other honda enthusiasts to lower the car even more.

also, i looked up a tire calculator and if i'm correct. you take the first number (205) and divide by 25.4 to convert mm to inches. so this would mean my tire is 8.07 inches wide. which would make me belive the rims are 8 inches wide. i didn't think the stock wheels on an si were 8 inches wide?

do you think wheel spacers are an option with how much tread was removed from the rubbing?

if not what is your opinion of the rota gt3s or drag dr-16s?

and i love to drive my car hard, so thats what made me think the falken azenis were good, also thats whats on the rear. if you don't suggest these tires because they wear to quickly, what would you recomend as a good tire for street with less wear???

thank you kindly for your help!

Modified by p0tential at 11:49 PM 3/28/2008
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: HELP!! i'm in a dilema and i don't know what to do!!! (p0tential)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">based on looking at the photo of my car...do you think the ride hight is too low? i've been told by other honda enthusiasts to lower the car even more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, there's a lot of silly advice floating around. I sure wouldn't lower it any more! You're just lucky you caught the problem with your tires before they blew out on you on the highway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, i looked up a tire calculator and if i'm correct. you take the first number (205) and divide by 25.4 to convert mm to inches. so this would mean my tire is 8.07 inches wide. which would make me belive the rims are 8 inches wide. i didn't think the stock wheels on an si were 8 inches wide?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tread width of tires is not necessarily equal to the wheel width. In fact, tire manufacturers specify a range of wheel widths on which any given tire model and size can be mounted.

The 2000 Civic Si Coupe came from the factory with 195/55-15 tires mounted on 15x6 wheels. (Most 195/55-15 tires are approved for use on rims that are anywhere from 5.5 to 7.0 inches wide.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you think wheel spacers are an option with how much tread was removed from the rubbing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheel spacers bring up a whole new set of issues to deal with. If they're thick enough to push the wheels out past the lip on the hub, you lose the hub centering and the wheels are then susceptible to vibrations. You also need to get extended studs installed if the lug nuts don't have 6-7 full turns on them. All in all, you're trying to fix one problem (wheels with the wrong offset) by changing other things that raise new problems, instead of fixing the original problem. That's why you would be better off selling the wheels and buying a set with the proper offset for your car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love to drive my car hard, so thats what made me think the falken azenis were good, also thats whats on the rear. if you don't suggest these tires because they wear to quickly, what would you recomend as a good tire for street with less wear???</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Azenis is a very sticky performance tire. However, it also doesn't last very long; 10-12K miles is typical. Tires that last 2-3 times as many miles, and offer pretty good performance, include the Kumho SPT and Fuzion ZRi. However, these are all summer tires, and you shouldn't be using them during our winters here. If you have another set of wheels and tires (or another vehicle) to use in the winter, then by all means get summer tires. But if you have to use the same tires in winter as the rest of the year, then you really need all-season tires, not summer tires. One of the best all-season tires is the Kumho ASX, which is also very reasonably priced. Note that their performance in warm weather won't be as good as with summer tires; that's the compromise you get with the flexibility for winter use. If you don't want to make that compromise, then consider getting a second set of wheels (even steelies) for winter tires to use during the winter, and you can use summer tires the rest of the year.