Wheel and Tire

recommend me a tire please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me a tire please

hey guys i have no clue what tires to get for my EG. I bought Drag DR16 rims and the tire size im going to go with is 205-45-16 i just have no clue what tire i should go with. I want something that gets some good grip on the street and has decent life. Also something in a reasonable price range. Please help me out.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: recommend me a tire please (civic_66)

The tire size you need for 16" wheels on a '92-95 Civic is 205/40-16, not 205/45.

For what you're looking for, get the Kumho SPT. In that size, they're $77/tire plus shipping at the Tire Rack.

I assume you don't need to drive these tires in snow, that you have a separate set of winter tires (or another vehicle) for that purpose.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (nsxtasy)

thanks a lot man. yeah i got winter tires. are these tires good sticky street tires?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bit off topic but... how well, or how badly will summer performance tires work on snow/ice? I have a set of winters already and am considering buying either all-seasons or summers for the Spring/Summer/Fall. I live in Canada where snow can come randomly at times (in late August sometimes or just when you thought winter is completely over, in the middle of May for example). When/if this does happen, its only for a day.. but would my car be sliding all over the place if this does happen with Summer tires?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (civic_66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks a lot man. yeah i got winter tires. are these tires good sticky street tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The SPT is fairly sticky. Pretty good dry traction, excellent wet traction, and last a reasonably long time (25-45K miles). $77/tire at the Tire Rack.

You can get stickier tires, but they won't last as long. For example, the Falken Azenis RT-615 comes in 205/40-16, but doesn't last that long (10-12K miles). $84/tire at Vulcan Tire.

Another choice, if you don't mind spending a bit more, is the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. They're not available in 205/40-16, but you can get them in 195/45-16, which will also work on your car. Even better dry traction and wet traction than the SPT, and should last about as long. $95/tire at the Tire Rack.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (shoryukenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shoryukenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a bit off topic but... how well, or how badly will summer performance tires work on snow/ice? I have a set of winters already and am considering buying either all-seasons or summers for the Spring/Summer/Fall. I live in Canada where snow can come randomly at times (in late August sometimes or just when you thought winter is completely over, in the middle of May for example). When/if this does happen, its only for a day.. but would my car be sliding all over the place if this does happen with Summer tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basically, yes, they are not going to grip very well.

However, it's worth noting that, even throughout most of Canada (the populated parts, anyway), snowfall is extremely rare betwen mid-April and late October). For example, the 30-year average snowfall for the months of May-September is 0.1 cm in Toronto, 0.5 cm in Montreal, and 14.5 cm in Calgary. Snow in August? Nope, not unless you're in Nunavut. You can look up statistics for your own city here.

So what are your options?

- You can get summer tires, swap them in mid April and late October, and live with the possibility that you may experience an unusual snowstorm in between. If you do, you can leave the car where it is and take alternative transportation. Better yet, if you keep your car in a private garage, just keep your snow tires there. If there is a prediction for a snowstorm when your summer tires are on your car, swap the winter ones back on for the day. Or,

- You can get all-season tires, and live with the compromise in warm-weather performance that they entail.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, i'm in Edmonton and I probably did exaggerate the late August snow a bit. I just remember a few years back when my friend was at the mall with his WRX on summer tires and it snowed/freezing rain unexpectingly and he had to get someone to bring over his winter tires and change it right there at the parking lot just to drive back home. I just remember thinking to myself if that was really necessary and that dangerous to drive with summers on those conditions or not.

So i'm debating between the Kumho SPT and ASX right now. I have a EM1 and its just my daily driver that I only sometimes do spirited driving on. Never really plan on attending any sorta of event for auto-crossing or drag racing, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The SPT is fairly sticky. Pretty good dry traction, excellent wet traction, and last a reasonably long time (25-45K miles). $77/tire at the Tire Rack.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have any idea approx. how long the ASX's will last? Do all-seasons generally last longer than summers?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (shoryukenz)

yes all season do last longer the summer but the performance is not the same. Seriously I know what you mean. I work at Via Rail and I remember last year at the end of May it snowed 25 cm in Alberta.

Seriously if you have a set of winter tires don't bother with all season. Once you get a good set of summer's such as the SPT, you will wish you never has a set of all season.

Winter tires &gt; all season
Summer Tires &gt; all season

Its a bit of a no brainer!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (DaveSi677)

Yes, all-seasons last a bit longer than summer tires. But I don't think the compromise is worth it. In any case, to answer your question more specifically, the Kumho ASX has a treadwear rating of 420, and the SPT is 320, so theoretically, the ASX will last about 30 percent longer. However, treadwear ratings are notoriously unreliable as precise indicators of tread life.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to jack the thread, but would a 205/40/16 work for a 98 civic?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: recommend me a tire please (wrEcKed_LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrEcKed_LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would a 205/40/16 work for a 98 civic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's too small. Stick with 205/45-16.

(If someone GAVE you 205/40-16 tires, go ahead and use them - hey, free tires are free - but don't buy that size.)