Wheel and Tire

Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width?

I have a set of HX wheels but I'm not sure from where to where I'm supposed to measure from. I measured it from edge to edge across and it was like 6". Seems like thats wider than I think. The reason I ask is because I wanna put 215/60/14s on them but dont know if thats too wide of a tire for the rim. Anyone know?

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 7:15 PM 3/3/2007
Old 03-03-2007, 04:56 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width? (SkoundrelUSA)

HX wheels are 14x5.5.

The width measurement is taken, not at the outer edge of the wheel, but at the "bead", the place on the rim where the inner edge of the tire sits. So the width measured at the outer edge of the wheel is always wider than the specified width of the wheel.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HX wheels are 14x5.5.

The width measurement is taken, not at the outer edge of the wheel, but at the "bead", the place on the rim where the inner edge of the tire sits. So the width measured at the outer edge of the wheel is always wider than the specified width of the wheel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see. Do you think I could squeeze a 215/60/14 on there?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think I could squeeze a 215/60/14 on there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have two different issues: (1) whether the tire can be mounted on the wheel, and (2) whether it's the right size for your car.

(1) Tire manufacturers specify a range of approved rim widths for their tires. The street tires available in 215/60-14 are all crappy, but many of them can be mounted on a 14x5.5 wheel; for example, the BFG Radial T/A has an approved range of 5.5-8.5 inches. OTOH, the BFG g-Force T/A Drag Radial, which is designed specifically for the dragstrip, has much stiffer sidewalls (so it can be used with reduced air pressures common at the strip); it's only approved for rims that are 6.0-7.5 inches wide, so you would NOT want to mount that tire on a 14x5.5 wheel.

(2) Is this for street use, for the track, or for the dragstrip? For street use, all the tires in that size are crappy, and they are too big for your car anyway and will probably rub. For the track, I don't know of any track tires in that size. For the dragstrip, you really don't want to get oversized tires like that anyway, because they will make your car accelerate slower.

In all ways, 215/60-14 size tires are NOT a good idea. Not for those wheels, and not for your '92-95 Civic.

Why don't you tell us what you are trying to accomplish? Is this for daily driving? Or for the track or dragstrip? Are you looking for better performance? Will you be driving in rain on these tires? What about snow? Tell us how you plan to use the tires and we can give you a recommendation that's appropriate to your needs. (It will almost certainly not be for 215/60-14 size tires.)
Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Anyone know the width of HX wheels? Or how do you measure the width? (nsxtasy)

Sorry I wasn't clear. Its basically just for drag. I wanted to get BFG G-force Drag Radials for the HXs. But I wanted to see if I could get the wider 215s. These will only be used to drive to the track, drag, then drive back home. I won't be using them for constant daily driving. So no rain/snow or anything like that. I have spare wheels/tires for daily driving.

Question 2: If the 215s don't work, should I get the 205s in 50 profile or 55?

Suspension setup will be Omni Full 1-piece Coilovers.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its basically just for drag. I wanted to get BFG G-force Drag Radials for the HXs. But I wanted to see if I could get the wider 215s. These will only be used to drive to the track, drag, then drive back home. I won't be using them for constant daily driving. So no rain/snow or anything like that. I have spare wheels/tires for daily driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question 2: If the 215s don't work, should I get the 205s in 50 profile or 55?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The BFG g-Force Drag Radial in 205/50-14 is approved for mounting on rims 5.5-7.5 inches wide, so you could mount those on the HX wheels. That sounds like a good idea. (If you're still not sure, you could check with folks in the drag racing forum as well as here.)

This tire is not available in 205/55-14.