Wheel and Tire

anyone ever use TPMS bands?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone ever use TPMS bands?

http://www.tpmssource.com/strapkit.aspx

i want to run valve stem type TPMS in wheels that won't accomodate them due to stem angle.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: anyone ever use TPMS bands?

hmm, this might be a better choice

Originally Posted by 06TacomaDouble
As many of you know, my truck came with steel wheels, so I was anxiously awaiting the day to have my alloys put on. I new the '06 Tacoma came with TPMS sensors, but I had no idea there were two models; one for steel wheels (40*) and one for alloy (20*).

Well, the alloy wheels are on, so now I have the TPMS sensor light shining on my dash......but not any more. I created a PVC pipe small enough to put behind the seat, under the truck inside the frame, or pretty much anywhere. Pictures at bottom of post.

Total expense: $12.00.

Here's what I did:

Grocery List:

* 3" PVC SCH.40 Pipe (about 4 to 4 1/2" in length)
* Two (2) 3" PVC SCH.40 End Caps
* One (1) Can Heavy Duty PVC Cement (glue) (green label - to contain pressure in tube)
* One (1) Small Valve Stem (yes, like for a tire)
* Optional: Bubble Wrap (to keep the sensors for clanging together)

Tools Needed:

* Fine Sand Paper
* Drill
* Drill Bit (size can vary depending on Valve Stem width)
* Jigsaw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steps:

1. Take the jigsaw and cut the 3" pipe down to about 4 to 4 1/2" in length. It can be longer if you would like.
2. Sand down the ends where you cut the pipe so they are smooth to allow for a good bond to the end caps.
3. Take the cement (glue) applicator and rub it around one end of the pipe and the inside wall of the end cap.
4. Quickly put the end cap on, pushing it as far as you can onto the pipe. The cement sets quickly, so work fast.

While the cement sets, get the sensors ready to be inserted into the pipe.

1. Cut the bubble wrap into strips long enough and wide enough to wrap around each sensor like a diaper. (around the plastic part)
2. Wrap the bubble wrap around the plastic part, then tape it so that it stays around the sensor.
3. Repeat this for each sensor. Set them to the side.

Now let's do some drillin'!

1. Take the valve stem, and hold it up to a drill bit to find the right size. What you want is a bit that will allow the valve stem to be pushed through the end cap from the inside out, but small enough to stop it from passing all the way through. (You may want it a little snug when passing through so it will be a little tight on the valve stem.)
2. Drill the hole in the end cap.
3. Take the sand paper and smooth down the inside and outside of the end cap where you drilled the hole. On my end caps, there was writing. I sanded that down also to give a smooth surface. (see picture)
4. Push the valve stem through from the inside out with the smaller end facing up, away from the end cap.
5. Once in, make sure you are unable to pull it through with a reasonable amount of force.

Now back to the pipe.

1. Slide each sensor into the pipe with the stem pointing up. Once all four are in, you may have to jiggle it to get them to settle better.
2. Optional: If you would like, you may put extra bubble wrap at the end to make them fit snug.
3. Take the cement (glue) applicator and rub it around the end of the pipe and the inside wall of the last end cap.
4. Quickly put the end cap on, pushing it as far as you can onto the pipe. The cement sets quickly, so work fast.

Your TPMS Sensor pressure pipe is now complete.

1. ATTENTION!!! Allow the cement (glue) to set and dry over night before filling with air. ATTENTION!!!
2. Fill the pipe with air. It should take one to three seconds to reach +-30 psi.
3. Check the pressure with a tire gage. You should be able to "trick" the system with anywhere from 25 to 30 psi.

Congratulations, you're finished!!!

Warning: I am not responsible for any damage done to the sensors, your tools, your hands, or your brain (glue smell). I performed this modification for my own enjoyment and sanity.