Wheel and Tire

Aluminum lug nuts + Firestone, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum lug nuts + Firestone, need some advice

To start things off, I just got this car a few days ago. Previous owner put on a set of slips and some aluminum lug nuts, and let me know that they were not balanced. It shakes a bit at highway speeds, so I decided to take it to Firestone today to have the wheels checked and balanced. First wheel they pulled off, stripped the lug nuts and the studs. All four of them. They told me they weren't touching the rest unless I was ready to have all of the lug nuts and studs replaced. They tried to tell me that they were over torqued, and that caused them to strip when they were removed. I'm fairly certain they used an impact taking them off, because one of the techs mentioned he "locked the gun down" trying to remove the nuts from one of the rear wheels. I ended up paying for the damage, and leaving. Now that I'm thinking about it, is it possible that they caused the damage by using an impact to remove them? Is there a way I can get refunded for the damages if I can prove so?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aluminum lug nuts + Firestone, need some advice

You can't strip the lugnuts AND the studs at the same time.

#1 They are idiots for using an impact wrench on an aluminum part.

#2 Anti-seize should be used on all steel/aluminum connections. The aluminum and steel have much different properties and react differently to temperatures and environmental factors. Chances are, the PO did not use anti-seize and the lugnuts were seized onto the studs. I've seen this happen with cheap extended wheel studs mated with cheap lug nuts (Blox...crap).

#3 The PO might have had the wheels, tires, and lugnuts installed at a shop, and they may have been over torqued. Aluminum is very soft, and the lugnuts can be ruined quite easily by cross-threading and over torquing.

#4 Aluminum lugnuts should be removed by hand.

I would buy a new set of aluminum lugnuts, and possibru new wheels studs (we need to see pics before coming to that conclusion). I would never let a tire shop mount my wheels ever if I were you. I bring loose wheels to my tire shop all the time.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't see how it's remotely possible they caused the damage nor how you think you might remotely get any money back AFTER you already paid for parts and labor.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Lesson learned. Aluminum lug nuts suck. The previous owner only made it worse.

Regardless of the fact that they should never see an impact gun, there is no reason why they didn't come off within a couple of hits. Those things were cross threaded, galled, or seized from galvanic corrosion when you got there. Not the tire guy's fault.

And yes, you should always take loose wheels to the tire shop, Or only go to discount tire. I trust them to not F my car up.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lesson learned I guess. Sometimes you have to deal with crap like this when buying a car that you know nothing about. I guess I'll just buy some new studs and lug nuts and move on.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lesson learned..one of those things.

Don't let it discourage you...aluminum lugnuts do not suck at all. Their a cool way to add a small detail to your car that a lot of people won't notice upon first glance. Just make sure you care for them properly and you'll be satisfied with them.

Pics for clicks.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I've always considered getting a set for my previous cars, but always spent money elsewhere. I'll probably do the same again. I was thinking about going ahead and getting extended studs and some nice lug nuts, but I'll probably save my money and get standard stuff. I need to focus on other things first.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update if anyone cares haha. I was able to remove the rest by hand no problem. None were "over torqued" like Firestone suggested. Even though there is nothing I can do about it, Firestone is definitely the ones to blame for the stripped studs.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aluminum lugs do suck. Track days from the heat they loosin themselfs up