Wheel and Tire

98 Wheel fitment adivce

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Wheel fitment adivce

I know this is a worn out topic but I wouldn't be asking if I could find a set of Konig candys which apparently got discontinued right as I ordered them.

Ive got a 98 civic dx hatch, Skunk 2 upper control arms with adjustable camber, Im about to order Form & function coilovers to lower the car about 1.5 maybe a bit more depending on if I can get away with it. Ive found a few sets of rims I like but with an offset of 25, Im told they wont fit. I would like to put a 15x7 on, maybe 16s but the offset on every wheel I like is the issue. I know XXRs are one set & the others are the new Avid 19 bronze. I also have a few choices I cant find out what type they are.
Can anyone tell me what I could get away with, with my current set up? Im looking to drop it a little bit, not slam it so I shouldn't need any heavy camber adjustment. I also live in Wv where roads are shat & potholes are the worst hence why I want to keep it to a 15. I know the offsets I should stick to are between 35 & 45 but I wondered how much I would have to do to run 25.

Im looking to figure out a set up that wont run a high risk of rubbing, wont require much more then just a proper tire & my current set up and will be flush with my fenders. I don't mind if they stick out a little. I just don't want to order something that once on the car I have to keep lowering it until satisfied. Im also open to other wheel options. Thanks to anyone that responds
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 98 Wheel fitment adivce

You could run as low as a +20 on a 7" wide wheel, with proper sized tires (meaning no stretching). You will need to roll your quarter panels and fenders, but they will clear without rubbing issues. I don't know where you found that a +25 offset wheel that's 7" wide won't fit, but that is false information. Maybe if you didn't roll the panels it would be an issue, but if you want to run a setup as close to flush as possible, rolling is required.

As for wheel styles, head over to the Appearance forum as this is not the place for those types of opinion questions.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help. I typed in 15x7 and was looking for avid & xxr wheels & came to several pages that listed the offset at +25. I may have been mistaken on the width.
My main concern is with the skunk 2 adjustable upper arms would I need more to camber it out. I don't plan on lowering it to far but Ive wondered how far out +25 would really set with a 1.5 to 2 inch drop. Im still learning on the subject & was was curious if I could get away with +25 offset without having to roll the fenders or going into complete camber kit set ups. I cant find many examples of complete set ups for a better understanding. I saw a few pictures of exactly what Im looking to achieve but no information as to how much drop, wheel/ tire size ect.
Anyway it goes it is looking like if I want the look im after Ill have to roll the fenders. I don't mind doing the rolling, I just don't want to have to slam the car for said look otherwise I wont be able to drive it much where I live without tearing a lot up.
Ill check that part of the forum out, My apologies for posting it in the wrong section. I tend to get lost on here sometimes

The pictures may give an idea of what Im looking for but raised a little bit higher
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Sanji

Neither of those looks will be attainable without doing fender/quarter panel rolling. Also, why are you only looking at Avid and XXR? Not interested in a quality wheel, or is that all you've been exposed to?

BTW, that red sedan is rolling on 16x9 +15 wheels with a super-stretched 195/45/16 on it.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 2nd picture was the wrong one. It was a hatch like mine with XXRs. Mainly I liked the look & every rim other then those are either 2k without tires, hard to find/discontinued or 5 lug only. Plus I would prefer stay in the 15 inch range so I have more of a tire cushion but Ive been looking at some 16s. Theres not many new rims styles I like but I haven't found many sites to buy from either. My searches always bring up the same sites.

My goal with the avids were they were cheap enough to get by with for now without having all the mods done to my car yet & to avoid spending 250+ on tires for my stock wheels that I wont run that long after it gets back from getting tuned. I did a motor swap & it sat for awhile and the tires on it currently are junk. I was hoping it would give a good look for time being while being cost effective.

I basically was rushing to find something that wasn't a complete waste of funds and get it back on the road sooner but after more & more searches I have no choice on rolling the fenders. Ive never been a comfortable with camber/offset in all honesty. One pothole where I live can easily bend a rim or knock it out of alignment & if you don't know what your doing 110% shops never get it right
Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Sanji

Avid's have a pretty bad reputation for breaking even under the most normal of circumstances, so I'd say buyer beware. As for being cost effective, I'd point you over to Miata Wheels - Wheels - Mazda Performance Parts They're more focused on that sizing range, and offer several choices that are both affordable and reliable.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running 16x8 +20 with a 225/45/16 stock camber rolled fenders no pull and I'm fine.! With a 2mm spacer because of the Gsr brakes

I think you'll be ok
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correction 3mm
Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These are 16x8 et20 front and 16x9 et15 rear on my old car. Fronts could have been spaced out about 5-10 more mm if you wanted. All 195/40/16 Federal 595EVO tires.

Fenders were only rolled, no pull. Fronts had fender liner tabs bent all the way back and the tops were cut out due to height. Natural camber, untouched, just from lowering. Was on Skunk 2 Pro SII and rear Skunk 2 rear LCA.

If you want a stance like the cars you posted I think something around 16x9 et15 - you'd want to run a 205/40 in a narrow tire, or 195/40 with a wider running tire like nexen or federal... if you run 8 wide and want that fitment in the rear you need to run something that will stretch a bit more.. if that's what you want. but easily obtainable..

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/31387329@N07/, on Flickr

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/31387329@N07/, on Flickr
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think OP is wanting something a little less drastic than what most people are suggesting. OP, I currently have 16x8 +25 wheels with 195/40/16, which translates to a slight stretch, I should really have 205 or 225s on there, but I'm approximately as low as most of the others in here and it would definitely rub if I had that at my current height.

I would recommend 15x8 in something +25 or higher offset with 205 width tires. You will likely have to roll your fenders but it's pretty easy to do, just make sure to use a heat gun. I did mine with a jack, a wooden baseball bat and a heat gun. You just have to be patient and take your time and it will turn out good.