Wheel and Tire

what should i get for new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i get for new tires?

I have a 96 Civic Hatch CX, not alot of power yet, just header, cat, intake. I just got a new set of 16" Rota Slips, and need a new set of rubber for them, i was looking at a couple of diffent options, such as:
Yokohamas, Kumos, and posibly BFGoodrich,
i have done a little bit of research on tires, but never tried any of these, I live in Wisconsin where the winters are long and cold with some snow, i was thinking of getting all season tires, but dont want to ruin my new rims, i have the stock 13" steelies on now, but i could use them in the winter, it is a daily driver and i drive up north for school, my price range is about $75 per tire
please help, i really want to get these on my car!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what should i get for new tires? (boocivic)

I would recommend using the 13" steelies for winter, and the 16" rims for the rest of the year. You really don't want winter salt eating away at your new rims.

I'll talk about your 16" tires in a moment. You don't mention what's on your 13" steelies now - all-seasons, winter tires, or summer tires? If they're all-seasons and they have plenty of tread, you could get by with them for now. (Remember, for winter use, you don't want to let the tread depth wear down as low as you would with summer tires.) Since they will be for winter use, I'm sure you already know that winter tires perform better in winter than all-seasons, so that's what you'll want to get if you don't already have all-seasons or if your all-seasons are worn. In your 175/70-13 stock size, two excellent winter tires are the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 ($63) and the Michelin X-Ice ($62). The Dunlop Graspic DS-2 is less expensive ($49) and is okay but not as good as the other two. You can see a side-by-side comparison test of all three of these tires here.

Summer tires do well in moderate to warm temperatures, and in rain as well as on dry pavement. The big trade-off in summer tires is performance vs value (value means both purchase price and treadlife). Fortunately, there are a lot of summer tires available that offer very good performance at excellent prices. The best values among these are the Kumho Ecsta SPT, Avon Tech M500, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, and Yokohama ES100. (Some other tires offer similar performance, but at a higher price, notably the Bridgestone Potenza RE750 and BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW2, but the performance difference from the others isn't that much and besides, they're above your target price range.)

The proper 16" tire size for your car is 205/40-16. The only tire I mentioned above for the best value as well as performance, that comes in that size, is the Kumho Ecsta SPT and I strongly recommend this tire. It is excellent on dry pavement, awesome in rain, and lasts a long time. It would be worth buying at its regular price, but even better, through the end of the year Kumho has an offer where you can get a $40 rebate on a set of four tires (note - you must mail in your receipt of purchase within 30 days of the date on it). The Tire Rack sells that Kumho SPT in your size for $73 per tire (plus shipping), which works out to $63 per tire after the rebate.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was looking at a couple of diffent options, such as:
Yokohamas, Kumos, and posibly BFGoodrich</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't just shop by brand name. Every brand makes some tires that offer great performance and/or value, and other tires that are just not worth buying. So make sure you're looking at specific models of tires, not just brand names.

Again, you need 205/40-16. In that size, the Kumho Ecsta SPT is far, far better than anything else at anywhere near the price.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i was looking at the Kumho SPT, thats what i was leaning twards, on my 13s i have Bridgestone Insignia SL, i got the car this summer from a old man and thats what he had on there, they are 4 years old and have plenty of tread life left, but they handle like ****, even worse in the rain!ill just have to see how well they hold up in the snow, and put a good set of Kumho SPTs for the summer prob, thanks for all your help, if anybody else has any other sugestions please post, i prob wont buy a set till sat afternoon