Wheel and Tire

2008 Civic EX W/ Nexen N5000

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Civic EX W/ Nexen N5000

Just letting you guys know about the Nexen N5000 tire.

Before, I was running the Kumho ASX.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...8ASXresize.jpg

Both sizes: 215/45/17

First impression of the ASX was wow, they handled great for an high performance all season tire in the rain, summer, and light snow. But for a little heavier snow, traction was a little scary. The problem though, they didn't last very long. 20k and I was down to the wear bars, and for the price($92 from tire rack) I guess its okay for a high performance all season tire. I give her

As for the Nexens N5000, they are about the same price as the ASX. I am about 12k into the tire, (Warranty goes for 60k) the tire is still pretty newish looking. In the rain, it handled great. Summer time, the tire was sticky. Probably me, but I can almost say that the N5000 handled better than the ASX in wet/dry cornering, wet/dry braking and acceleration wet/dry traction.
PLus it looks killer.

As for the ASX asymetrical tread pattern allows for all around tire rotation, and the N5000 symetrical tread pattern only allows front to back. Snow is coming up, and the N5000 is rated for all seasons, I am going to give her a try in the snow. I will report my results when this weekend blows by 4" of snow.

So when your out looking for tires, I say either the ASX from Khumo, or the N5000 from Nexen are both great buys.

Last edited by dntnedvtec; 11-12-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2008 Civic EX W/ Nexen N5000

Originally Posted by dntnedvtec
they didn't last very long. 20k and I was down to the wear bars
That's a lot less than typical. And the ASX comes with a treadlife warranty of 30,000 miles so you could have gotten a pro-rated replacement for them.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Civic EX W/ Nexen N5000

I did not know that.

Well, after a well few days of snow(6") I took the car for a spin in the snow. It was warmer, so the snow became somewhat wet, and there was slush everywhere. After I took it slow, I was able to predict the potential of the Nexens. Good traction in light slush/snow mix, ABS was active at every braking, but was able to slow down. Under heavier slush, it still maintained traction, predictable steady cornering and ABS braking.
What I mean by predictable, is you feel the tires start to give out, but able to control in time to prevent a total slip. I am not the smartest guy, si I am trying to make it sould somewhat reasonable. LOL, But anywho:
Snowy conditions, where careful pedal pressure is a must, proved the Nexens to be a little better than the ASX, Not by far, but traction off the line, uphill climbing,( I use to live on the side of a hill) Downhill braking and control, and going sideways(yeah, sideways) I felt more secure with the Nexens than I did with the ASX. Under near identical conditons, with the ASX, I couldn't see myself making up the alley, and down hill braking in the snow, proved to be dangerous.
So there you have it. The Nexens are a good buy, under my conditions, and just a better tire than the ASX, but by no mean greater. Any Q's, feel free to ask. I probably should have named this thread:

ASX vs. Nexens N5000

Mod, can you help me?