Notices

Starting my own fab shop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starting my own fab shop!

Any updates bro? It's been well over a month since you posted anything and I'm sure I am not the only one going through withdrawal. You do some amazing welding & fabrication!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agtronic

About the logo tags, I wanted to mention on here that to those who I have asked for quotes or even samples, (those of you are on here). I was not trying to waste anyone's time. And it's not that I didn't want to support you guys. When I showed the cad file for this logo to a few shops, everyone told me it was too intricate to cut cheaply, so I made another design, and none of my customers knew what it was (abreviated name, AGMS). So I basically shelved the idea for a while. Now I found a pretty sick local machine shop, and their work is insane quality, and their turnaround is good. I have been making a few parts once in a while, and finally I asked him to look my logo over. He said it was no prob to cut on his waterjet, so that's why I had them done here. Nothing personal to the others who have offered to help. I would have done them for sure if it had been possible to do the original logo.

That's it for tonight. I'm dead dead tired.

Good night!
If they can't cut them, we can. Just another option.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear that you're doing well
Old 08-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything new going on?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,

Really sorry about the lack of updates. I've been very very busy. I hired a welder (weldor) in June and we've been very busy. Having someone here all day really helped with the motivation level. Right before this, I was really finding it difficult to stay motivated / positive. Now we're rocking and rolling.

We've been getting some bigger/nicer cars and seem to be attracting a different crowd.

Unfortunately, because of the quicker pace of two guys working together, I do not stop nearly as often to take pictures. I don't have much to show for the work we've been doing. But I'm trying to take more time to do that.

Here are a few projects we have done lately :

300ZX exhaust :

315s in the rear. Car was pretty bad ***.

300zx startup :
Short street run :

Custom exhaust on a 2011 Lotus Evora :

The new guy is welding it up!

GC8 STI with a V7 and TD06-20G on meth ... Quick little car!

Impreza vs. Viper :

Dual turn down exhaust for a 2011 911 GT3. Apparently they are too loud from the factory and they keep getting flagged off the track at Tremblant. The dual turn downs are just enough to keep them legal. This was for a local dealership that has a lot of these customers.

Pretty sweet system, 100% stock :

Enjoy the pics!!

THanks guys!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
OG Fabricator

Great work. Nice to see you mixing it up on the cars. It makes it more exciting.
The GT3RS is such a stunning car.
Not purging the stainless exhaust probably makes it a lot more profitable. Really looks like you are on a roll. Keep it up and best of luck growing even bigger.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Working

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking stuff Markku. I am glad things are going well.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the hose clamp on the cup for? BTW, nice work
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by javierb14
What's the hose clamp on the cup for? BTW, nice work
Its probably broke, haven't we all tried that trick?

Or maybe its been used for a trailing purge at sopme point.

No back purge on the exhausts Marku?

You should be flying now theres 2 of you, so much easier to cover the overheads.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its broken. If you look closely, you can see a crack in it.... I think.

Mike
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good update Markku. good to see you got some help, so now the business should be rolling. what is going on with that 300ZX though? it is running pretty aweful. seems to me like ALOT of tuning is needed on that thing
Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is cracked.

Hey ag, where can I source a Garrett IC like you have pictured?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,

Yep, the gas lens was cracked, and of course I didn't have another in stock. We welded like that for about a month. Now I have a few extra in stock.

As for the purging, I'm selective about what we purge. I don't purge exhaust tips etc ... Downpipes etc ... are always purged. I just don't see the point. Same goes for boost pipes. If I'm using stainless, I fusion weld them, real small and cold, and don't need to purge.

As for the business rolling, it's definitely nice to have help, but it's still no walk in the park, and there is a whole new level of responsibility now. I'm here earlier now, and I feel more compelled to go out and get more work, as where before I was not trying so hard because I didn't want to take on too much. It's nice to be able to pay someone a salary, but I still don't have one. So I'm working on becoming more efficient, and we'll see where it'll take us.

I'll try and take more pics!!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Hey Markku,

I referred a buddy from the volvo forum Im on to you and sounds like your going to be doing a custom intercooler setup for him on his S40 and some other fab work. Glad it worked out he is pretty stoked on it. I tell everyone thats near you to take advantage of your skill
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow very nice is the new guy from usa
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been following this thread since you started it and I'm consistantly awed by your work. The fit and finish of everything you do is top notch.

Did you reuse the OE exhaust tips on the Evora or did you fab them?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, the gas lens was cracked, and of course I didn't have another in stock. We welded like that for about a month. Now I have a few extra in stock.
i've broke a few and never even thought about using a clamp as temp fix. nice trick, i'll try it out next time
Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best of luck brotha!....Keep us updated on your work!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hows everything going up there?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like the rolled tips for the Evora. Did you make those yourself?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

love the exhaust on the lotus! actually everything in this thread looks great. you sir have one hell of a job.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great looking fab! If only your shop was closer to/in the States, I'd sure be coming for some work!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Trial User

Absolutely love the work you do. Always look forward to checking for you updates in this thread!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrote a long response but the wireless dropped and I have to write this again..

1- Using your garage door (your largest facade real estate as a banner)...
When your door is 3/4s open (like it is in the Evora picture) I'd have a bright orange/red banner going across with a yellow arrow pointing down into your shop with a 'call to action' (get your performance here ->)

2- When the door is all the way closed (at night) (especially if you are in an area with good traffic flow) the entire door turns into a mural /image with the bottom 1/4 still being the banner/call to action at the bottom of it... so it turns from a horizontal banner ad into a full mural ad

3- Video marketing... have an assistant get first start, idle rev, and flyby footage of your customer cars before they leave the shop. Upload this to YOUR branded youtube channel... title the videos with proper branding 'Agtronic true-dual 300zx exhaust system'... tag the video properly (300zx, Z32, rb23det, agtronic, dual exhaust) ...etc (like using the chassis, engine, and car model codes in the tags so people can find it) ... and then in the video description link to your homepage /website

You'll be surprised how effective video marketing can be at generating prospects... especially for very niche crowds (like lotus) where there will be very few competing videos and owners might be willing to take a road trip to get a high quality exhaust made by you because they feel they TRUST you ... (video can convey trust like nothing else)

Please consider this all positive and constructive... you do great work... wish you the best ...
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nuclearhappines
wrote a long response but the wireless dropped and I have to write this again..

1- Using your garage door (your largest facade real estate as a banner)...
When your door is 3/4s open (like it is in the Evora picture) I'd have a bright orange/red banner going across with a yellow arrow pointing down into your shop with a 'call to action' (get your performance here ->)

2- When the door is all the way closed (at night) (especially if you are in an area with good traffic flow) the entire door turns into a mural /image with the bottom 1/4 still being the banner/call to action at the bottom of it... so it turns from a horizontal banner ad into a full mural ad

3- Video marketing... have an assistant get first start, idle rev, and flyby footage of your customer cars before they leave the shop. Upload this to YOUR branded youtube channel... title the videos with proper branding 'Agtronic true-dual 300zx exhaust system'... tag the video properly (300zx, Z32, rb23det, agtronic, dual exhaust) ...etc (like using the chassis, engine, and car model codes in the tags so people can find it) ... and then in the video description link to your homepage /website

You'll be surprised how effective video marketing can be at generating prospects... especially for very niche crowds (like lotus) where there will be very few competing videos and owners might be willing to take a road trip to get a high quality exhaust made by you because they feel they TRUST you ... (video can convey trust like nothing else)

Please consider this all positive and constructive... you do great work... wish you the best ...
I definitely agree with the video marketing. It has done amazing things for AMS Performance. Something you should definitely look into because you do amazing work!!

ttyl,

Quick Reply: Starting my own fab shop!