Notices

06 Ford GT : Project Silver Bullet

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Ford GT : Project Silver Bullet

Customer decided to make a build thread on the Ford GT forum so ill repost for everyone.

Let me welcome you all to my 06 Ford GT Project Silver Bullet

I have been beside myself for the last few months deciding what spin I should be putting on my GT. I have been back and forth with turbo options, clutch options, built motor and even if I should keep the blower or not. I decided that the best option right now is to run the bigger pulley on the blower and get a set of turbos to make my supercharged twin turbo setup come alive. The motor will be built over the winter and game plan is to possibly just run with the twins and remove the blower for a custom intake plenum.

I have contacted a local shop called Centerline Motorsports to help me with my Silver Bullet project and these guys seem to be more on board about this car than I am. I have seen some of their work first hand and I am truly impressed and think these guys are more than fit for this project. These guys keep things truly organized and maintain a clean shop which is key for me, which was a big selling factor on my side. These guys even have their own in house CNC which helps aid in any one off parts they need to produce for the GT.

Now that everyone knows the direction I want to take with my GT , I did manage to hit the dyno before I dropped her off. I was really happy with my numbers 632 RWHP and 586 RWTQ, I added the dyno graph so everyone can see how the car performs. The pull was done on a DynoJet and the blower is currently running a 17psi pulley. This graph will help serve as a base for when we compare current setup to the new setup.

I will have more updates tomorrow with turbo selection and more project info. here is some pictures and a Video...http://youtu.be/vQt2rHeG6wI

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Ford GT : Project Silver Bullet

Nice, how big is your shop?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1000 sqft not too big, but we make it all work
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car and power numbers! I can't imagine how much fun that would be to drive!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

post some pics of the actual work you did please.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea there will be pics of the work, once i do it and once the customer posts it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These guys are truly inspirational.

I head over to Centerline Motorsports to check on some progress to find them working away. They have removed almost the complete rear of the car to allow the proper access needed. It’s really still a tight squeeze between the frame and the headers. It seems as if they are ready to move onto the building process of the car which I’m super excited for.

The selection of the turbo is a big deciding factor when it comes down to a project like this or any project for that matter. After reviewing a few of the current setups on some of the GTs running around it made the decision somewhat easier to get my optimal setup. I first started with a set of Precision 62-65 turbos which I feel would have worked out great, but then I received a call from Harry at Precision and he sent me a set of 64-66 turbos. I was one of the first people to get my hands on set which is really a great privilege and alongside these turbos I will be running Precision wastegates and Tial BOV.

The next step in this build will be the custom set of turbo headers made from Stainless steel 1.750 .065 wall tubing with ½ stainless flanges. The headers should be a nice touch to this setup alongside everything else that must be fabricated to complete this build. I honestly can’t wait to see the end result of all this work getting done on silver bullet, also the first drive should be very interesting.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I'm pretty sure I saw you at square one once, we were having a local meet there and you went by. Nice car!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acidz
1000 sqft not too big, but we make it all work
Nice, Me and my bro have a 1060 Sq. Ft. shop so I now how it goes lol Gets abit cramped in a hurry be we make it work lol
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what we've established thus far is, we know how to take a Ford GT apart....ok. And thennnnn?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

and how to use painters tape lol
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yea ill have a sneak peak at the header in a bit shop has been crazy busy.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update…

Header Mug Shot! I’ll get into more detail later once both sides are finished and ready to go.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see why it's being turbocharged. THat exhaust is obnoxious as hell! Needs some good ol' cast iron turbines to make it sound nice.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
I can see why it's being turbocharged. THat exhaust is obnoxious as hell! Needs some good ol' cast iron turbines to make it sound nice.
with all of the billet goodies inside of said cast turbine
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Moving along….

One header has almost reached full completion. The collector needs a nice buff like the runners and the springs have to be welded to the collector and runner. They will be running 2 springs on each header for removal purposes. The second header has been all tacked together and ready to be fully welded which is something of an update I plan to have for you guys next.

I noticed in a post above I didn’t mention that each header starts with a 1 7/8 tube and then its stepped down to a 1 ¾ tube about 1inch away from the head flange. This was done due to the size of the port. The header has been fully backpurged and port work has been done after completion of welding all the runners to the head flange. I will get more pictures in the days to come of the port work.

They also got around to getting somewhat an idea of turbo placement, which should look reasonably well placed under the clam shell. This placement I feel is ideal for mounting support and also I prefer to see the turbos then to keep them hidden...

Anyways I’ll be back soon with more updates…..stay posted!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 AM
OG Fabricator

those headers are going to leak rene.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a double slip collector should be used....
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OMFG Ford GT. The one and only American car I like. I used to work for Genaddi Design Group back in 05-06 when these cars first came out and customers were wanting the GTX-1 conversions done. omg..going to work and seeing 10+ GT's at a time was a thrill but dam this TT one should be a blast.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking Good. But if you're not doing a Built engine there is no reason to build headers for these cars. We've made 1370whp on Stock exhaust manifolds running twin Garrett GT40s.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Delays and progress.

So…I know we have been lacking a long needed update, but things have been a bit crazy with my current business Performance Auto Carrier and also with the gents over at Centerline Motorsports. They have been in a hectic state as they have pushed to complete a whole shop move in less than four days. I think it’s a bit crazy that they set a deadline like that for such a big move, but let’s face it they did it… as you can see in the pictures below not only did they move everything into the new shop they also built a new mezzanine. It makes you think sometimes how much you can really get done if you have the dedication to make things happen.

Next on the block was trying to get placement of the turbo’s in the rear end of the car. After playing with the idea and contemplating about turbo placement, I decided that I wanted to place the turbo’s lower in the car and in Hines sight keeping the center of gravity in an ideal location. The picture below has brackets (rods + Plates) holding the placement of the turbo and that’s the testing stage before they moved to the next mounting bracket (All Plate) which they were satisfied with and now have it being transformed into a 3D rendering that will be made out of billet aluminum which I will be posting a picture as soon as they release it to me.

The header is about 99.9% as all its missing is the tabs and springs going from the collector to the runners.

As we continue along this update you might be thinking to yourself well this car needs a clutch and maybe some wheels well…..you’re in luck. I don’t have any fancy pictures like Centerline or anything as these are 100% cell phone pictures, but I will try and get some better pictures of the wheels once they are on the car. Below is a nice set of I Forged wheels and AP Racing clutch.

Since placement of the turbo’s seem to be 100% where I want them now they have moved forward into creating the air inlet section to be routed into the stock air box which to most may look like a challenging task, but for these guys they just truly create some magic. Here you can see the start of an idea and the final part on the bench, I will try and get a picture of this intake pipe mounted on the turbo to give everyone a better understand on how trick I think this looks.

The Complete package starting to take some shape….Seeing the up pipe off the header just gets me excited!

As we come to the end of this update I hope that I can bring everyone some more updates quicker as I’m sure everyone is just as excited as I am to see the final product and hear the GT roar to life.

Last edited by acidz; 08-27-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I managed to get the images of the 3D rendered bracket quicker than expected and as promised here it is. I can’t wait to have this cut out and put onto my car.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sick that this is in the gta buddy
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Placement

As the days go by I get excited to get into the driver seat of my car once again, but also I get sad as fall is upon us now…. I know these things take time and the biggest factor that’s holding this back right now is getting the billet aluminum parts made. The drawings are complete and just waiting to hear on a price for machining time.

Also some of you may notice that the transmission mount is bent, these guys will also be fixing that issue. I had to use it as a temporary replacement.

The wastegates both setup and ready to get mounted onto the up pipes. The exhaust has been placed together and tack welded into place for fitment and style. The exhaust tips are the only part missing. I honestly think this exhaust setup just looks fantastic and it’s exactly what I asked for. These guys do fantastic work! On the turbos you can see the air intake pipes taking shape on both sides; these will be routed back into the stock air box.

I also drove out my lambo to these guys and started playing around with the idea of getting a twin turbo setup done. I think we shall move onto the lambo once the GT is finished...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

that ridiculous you have a lambo aswell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Ford GT : Project Silver Bullet