Notices

questions on argon purging a manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default questions on argon purging a manifold...

- How would you properly purge a manifold that is just tacked up for fitment? I would think that the gas would just escape through the crevices. Would you tape up every joint except the one your welding?

- Can you just fill the manifold with argon, let the air be pushed out the other end, and then tape off both ends, or must you have a constant supply of argon flowing through the manifold?

I'm just trying to see how I can lessen the cost of doing this.

Thanks,
Bryson
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM
OG Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: questions on argon purging a manifold... (Bryson)

the proper way is to seal it up except for the area you are welding and a small bleed hole away from the area you are welding and away from the feed hole. you should have argon flowing constantly through the chamber. this way when you finish sealing the area you are welding the argon inside the chamber still has an escape route. the cost is far out weighed by the benefit.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: questions on argon purging a manifold... (weirRacing)

agreed. If anything...Im going to make an inert chamber and fill it with argon. I tried purging...it works, and works alright, but unless you have hours to spend to make your manifolds look a little better then I dont think its worth it. The inert chamber should have infinitely better results than what I was doing before.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions on argon purging a manifold... (weirRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weirRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the proper way is to seal it up except for the area you are welding and a small bleed hole away from the area you are welding and away from the feed hole. you should have argon flowing constantly through the chamber. this way when you finish sealing the area you are welding the argon inside the chamber still has an escape route. the cost is far out weighed by the benefit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, thats what my book says.

I guess when the time comes, I'll tack my manifold together, and then try it out.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With an inert chamber, what happens if you accidently dip your tungsten? You have to open it up, remove the torch to resharpen, and then loose all that gas wouldn't you? It seems that backpurging would be better in that case unless you use less overall gas in the chamber than the constant gas flow with back purging.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91TSiGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91TSiGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With an inert chamber, what happens if you accidently dip your tungsten? You have to open it up, remove the torch to resharpen, and then loose all that gas wouldn't you? It seems that backpurging would be better in that case unless you use less overall gas in the chamber than the constant gas flow with back purging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think its a good idea, but it would just make the welding more difficult IMO. I don't think you would need to have a constant circulating flow of argon with the chamber, so depending on how long it takes you to weld up a manifold it might save you some gas. (just like taking a bath, rather than a shower... )
Old 10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think its a good idea, but it would just make the welding more difficult IMO. I don't think you would need to have a constant circulating flow of argon with the chamber, so depending on how long it takes you to weld up a manifold it might save you some gas. (just like taking a bath, rather than a shower... )</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTErnie)

tape up all the holes, and poke 4 holes with your welding rod in the exhaust holes.. tape a little argon hose inside and your set.'

chamber seems a little over the top imo
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shortyz21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortyz21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tape up all the holes, and poke 4 holes with your welding rod in the exhaust holes.. tape a little argon hose inside and your set.'

chamber seems a little over the top imo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I was planning on doing. Do you have to have a seperate bottle to do this, or is it possible to get 2 outlet ports off the same bottle?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

I always used two bottles, becuase I had two regulators. I just stop using a bottle before its empty and use it for my purge.