Notices

New welding helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New welding helmet (90blackcrx)

lift starts .. where u touch the work pice then lift off .. and arc starts ..

even tho you turned it up .. i would still recomend closing your eyes for a sec .. like a blink .. its all ..
Old 12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New welding helmet (turbo gli)

You said these helmets are to slow, what speed does one helmet need to be then ? Because the one I have has the same speeds as some higher priced ones.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:24 PM

maybe so .. but there not as good .. most of these helmets arnt even recomended for tig .. only stick and mig .. im not saying ther crap . that wasnt me .. i know there crap but i dont go around posting that they suck .. when i know it sucks . i got what i payed for .. they ARE to slow for hf starts .. high freq starts .. mostly inverters have it .. thermal arc 185 and miller 200dx . the others dont have this i belive .. h/f is nice but i cant even use it with thsi pice of crap helmet ..
Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
threes

i just use a regular old flip up down helmet from jackson. id rather do that than have the chance at gettin flashed on every time i start an arc. its really not that big of a deal anyways, id just end up liftin up my helmet all the time anyway **** would get annoying lookin through that window.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo gli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe so .. but there not as good .. most of these helmets arnt even recomended for tig .. only stick and mig .. im not saying ther crap . that wasnt me .. i know there crap but i dont go around posting that they suck .. when i know it sucks . i got what i payed for .. they ARE to slow for hf starts .. high freq starts .. mostly inverters have it .. thermal arc 185 and miller 200dx . the others dont have this i belive .. h/f is nice but i cant even use it with thsi pice of crap helmet .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which mask do you have from harbor freight, any links ?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:54 PM

no no link .. its a cheapo ebay one ..
Old 12-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So how can you say that the one I have is cheap or won't catch up to the flash when you don't even have one from harbor freight ? I talked to other people with a harbor freight mask and they never had any complaints about it being slow.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how can you say that the one I have is cheap or won't catch up to the flash when you don't even have one from harbor freight ? I talked to other people with a harbor freight mask and they never had any complaints about it being slow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

calm down .. my statements to the ones that say there auto helmets suck.. and that they have eye fatigue .. thats b/c these are pices .. o .. does your welder have a h/f start .is it even a tig ? not shure . try that .. then post .. h/f starts and these helmets suck .. fu$k no your going to say they work for that .. b/c the flash is tooo quick and the sensor blacks out and doenst respond .. these are MY experiances with MY pice of crap 60$helmet .. i made these statements so when someone looks up info on helmets they will come accross this and see that 60$ are good .. but to an extent .. like i said u get what u paid for .. no hard feelings .. im shure yours is good for u . but to me its just 60$ wasted that could have been put twords a 200$ hemet ..
Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo gli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
calm down .. my statements to the ones that say there auto helmets suck.. and that they have eye fatigue .. that's b/c these are pices .. o .. does your welder have a h/f start .is it even a tig ? not shure . try that .. then post .. h/f starts and these helmets suck .. fu$k no your going to say they work for that .. b/c the flash is tooo quick and the sensor blacks out and doenst respond .. these are MY experiances with MY pice of crap 60$helmet .. i made these statements so when someone looks up info on helmets they will come accross this and see that 60$ are good .. but to an extent .. like i said u get what u paid for .. no hard feelings .. im shure yours is good for u . but to me its just 60$ wasted that could have been put twords a 200$ hemet .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes my helmet clearly stats its for tig, and I was not upset. I just thinks its odd that your gonna stat on how these helmets ( harbor freight helmets ) suck even though you don't have one. And that's all I'm gonna say because its hard to read what your typing.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:12 PM

I have a cheap harbor freight auto darkening helmet too and I love it. I've welded for hours upon hours without my eyes getting sore. This was all MIG. This is an excellent helmet for a ton of the hobbyist welders out there, who just have a MIG machine. I've never used it on TIG so I can't say, but if someone is that educated on welding to use a TIG machine, or even wealthy enough to own one, a $60 loss (if the helmet does suck for h/f) won't hurt their pocket. And if they're educated enough to TIG, they should be educated enough to choose a correct helmet.

This helmet is fine for 80% of the welders here, while the other 20% don't need suggestions on one b/c they already know wtf to get.

Bottom line: It gets the job done for the majority of people for a fraction of the price. Just like my cheap harbor freight welder, it's not as nice as a miller or hobart, but I've made numerous turbo manifolds, exhausts, charge piping, exactly what I bought it for, without the welder or welds failing.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: New welding helmet (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bottom line: It gets the job done for the majority of people for a fraction of the price. Just like my cheap harbor freight welder, it's not as nice as a miller or hobart, but I've made numerous turbo manifolds, exhausts, charge piping, exactly what I bought it for, without the welder or welds failing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactlly .. i just stated that mine sucks .. and i blink right befor the arc starts .
Old 01-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought e H/f One...$58.xx shipped...

Can't wait.....
Old 01-02-2005, 04:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep , it darkens at 1/25000 which I think is really good compared to the high price masked. All info can be found at this link

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...91212

Large viewing lens: 3-7/8'' x 1-5/8''
Used for arc, MIG and TIG welding
1/25,000 second switching speed (clear to dark state)
Shade control--shade #9 to #13
High/low light sensitivity adjustment
UV/IR protection
Automatic power on/off with adjustable delay time
High impact-resistant plastic/polyomide, nylon construction
Backup rechargeable battery
Full face coverage with padding and ratcheting headband
Meets ANSI Z87.1-1989 standards
Operating temperature: 23° to 131° Fahrenheit; Weight: 0.95 lbs.

ITEM 91212-1VGA
WAS $99.99

NOW $49.99 </TD></TR></TABLE>

did you get it at the store? the link shows $99 still...maybe that was a momentary sales...
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (@irborne)

I posted this probably about a month ago so I guess I did get a good deal on it. I bought it on the website.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just bought e H/f One...$58.xx shipped...

Can't wait..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just hope its not on back order because H/F sucks for shipping things, usually takes 10 to 15 days but if its back ordered your looking at a month at least.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:48 AM

anyone wanna chime in to why i dont see pro welders using these at my work..

Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (shortyz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortyz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone wanna chime in to why i dont see pro welders using these at my work..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably the same reason you see professionals mechanics using snap on, or why you see movie stars driving Bentley's, sure they could drive a civic or just craftsman wrenches but whats the fun of that. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Have the same helmet, love it! And you cannot beat the price!
Old 01-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blurboEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blurboEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have the same helmet, love it! And you cannot beat the price!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, I paid 49.00 for it so you can't beat that.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:35 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
Yeah sure its not one of those 250 dollar ones but for the price it works and feels great.
I use a $27 Jackson with a large lens....and wouldn't trade it for a $450 hood with the small lens....not ever... and I have no problems with my ability to weld without auto-darkening.

It may be handy, but you don't need auto darkening hoods. In time, if you don't have one, you learn to weld without it and it's not nearly as handy. I think it is most useful for beginner welders than experienced ones, but some still prefer them anyway.

Originally Posted by turbo gli
for eveyone that says ther eyes hurt , they get flash , yaada yada yadda .. crap .. maybe its
your helmet is junk hf ,ebay 60$ helmet ..
After reading all these posts about it, I think that may be a very good possibility. Maybe you guys should go get a regular shade 10 lens and compare it. I guess it's possible that these cheap ones just aren't getting as dark as they are supposed to. It may even be that the maker has shitty quality control and some are good and some don't get as dark as they should. As said before, you only get one pair of eyes.

I've been welding for a living for 18 years, and during 4.5yrs of it I used a top of the line auto darkening hood. It was a $455 hood, back when you couldn't get an auto darkening hood for under $300. During all the other jobs I've had, I used a regular dark lens. I'm the ONLY person in my EXTENDED family that does not wear glasses or contacts.

Even if these cheap hoods make welding easier for you, it's not going to be easy when you have to use cheater lenses. Also, as for comments about eye fatigue...you should get your eyes checked. Maybe your eyes are straining to focus on the puddle from the distance you are from it. You should get no more eye fatigue from welding than you would from reading...and you should do both from about the same distance.
so thats y its a smart decision to by a good helmet .. speedglas or miller elite are the ones im looking to get ..
I've tried the Speedglas ones, and they work well. ESAB makes nice ones also.
if your not gont to be welding alot and dont mind closing your eyes for a quick sec then the hf are very good ..
I have never used these cheap ones, but the ESAB and Speedglas will not have problems with high frequency. In fact, soon as the HF arc begins, the will darken....before the weld current even starts.
Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
You said these helmets are to slow, what speed does one helmet need to be then ? Because the one I have has the same speeds as some higher priced ones.
Remember those cheap *** 200 watt Pyramid amps that were the size of a cigarette pack? Did you believe they were really 200 amps?

You all need to remember that the high frequency arc will NOT harm your eyes. It's like a spark from a spark plug. It's the welding current that does damage. For those that don't know what high frequency is... disconnect your ground and then try to fire up on your workpiece. You will get an arc like in those ***** at Spencer's Gifts...where the electricity will jump to where you touch it. Those things don't hurt your eyes, and neither will the high frequency from your welding machine.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (Engloid)

is shade 10 enough for tig?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:00 PM
RMF

**** better yet, Stand away from the bench or the ground and don't touch any thing and hold the tungsten about 3/4 of an inch (on DC) away from your finger and hit the pedal.It wont shock you I swear to god.But it sure looks like it is.You can fake people out like its shocking the **** out of you.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: New welding helmet (essex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is shade 10 enough for tig?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Usually, yes. The factor that should determine that shade of lens is the amount of amperage, not the process used. For example, 200 amps mig will be brighter than 100 amps tig.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RMF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** better yet, Stand away from the bench or the ground and don't touch any thing and hold the tungsten about 3/4 of an inch (on DC) away from your finger and hit the pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was going to suggest this, but figured I wouldn't. You can also just hold the tungsten near the concrete floor and the HF will bounce around, jumping to it. It will not even be as bright as a light bulb.

We used to torture bugs with the HF.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New welding helmet (@irborne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @irborne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you get it at the store? the link shows $99 still...maybe that was a momentary sales...</TD></TR></TABLE>

@ the bottom, it shows it listed for $49 bucks...the $100 dollar one is solar powered....

Here is the direct link....

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...46092
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going to suggest this, but figured I wouldn't. You can also just hold the tungsten near the concrete floor and the HF will bounce around, jumping to it. It will not even be as bright as a light bulb.

try sticking yor finger toward it with sweaty gloves on!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: New welding helmet (L-CON1)

anyone got any info on y the h.f is knocking out the sensor in my helmet ? its battery powerd . and when i got to h.f start .. get flashed really bad ..

Quick Reply: New welding helmet