Notices

Plastic weld

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic weld

recently dropped my bike and few of the fairings are cracked nothing major like pieces missing. I dont own a plastic welder. So I can just purchase something from the Auto store like glue, bondo, expody, just an idea. Can anyone give me a few points on repairing them.

Modified by CATCH DIS HATCH at 10:03 PM 12/9/2004
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Plastic weld (CATCH DIS HATCH)

You can buy a cheaper welder from HF.

You can also get certain glues that will chemically weld certain plastics. Just start reading labels.

It's never going to look the same though.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Plastic weld (Goullish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can also get certain glues that will chemically weld certain plastics. Just start reading labels.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

One of them is http://www.coolchem.com , I have seen this stuff work and its really impressive. You can bond metal to wood, metal to plastic, you can bond anything together. They cut and alternator belt apart and used this glue, and let people try to rip the belt apart and no one could rip it apart.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's never going to look the same though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You speaking from your own lack of skill or somebody elses

Dont listen to that, its pretty easy but you also need to know how to make the surface smooth after the welding(sandinf,filling,fibergalss,bondo and whatnot)
Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Plastic weld (kid-honda)

what year, make and model of bike? I'm pretty hooked up with the local bike dealers (all of them, honda, kawasaki, yamaha, suzuki, ducati, triumph, etc.) I could maybe just find you some new fairings.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Plastic weld (kid-honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kid-honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You speaking from your own lack of skill or somebody elses

Dont listen to that, its pretty easy but you also need to know how to make the surface smooth after the welding(sandinf,filling,fibergalss,bondo and whatnot)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I'm speaking from the basic nature of plastic. There is a reason it was originally called plastic.

Did I mention Bondo? He just said he wanted the crack fixed.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Plastic weld (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what year, make and model of bike? I'm pretty hooked up with the local bike dealers (all of them, honda, kawasaki, yamaha, suzuki, ducati, triumph, etc.) I could maybe just find you some new fairings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd already bought some used ones on ebay. I just want to repair my old one. Just incase **** happen. You know what I mean..
Old 12-10-2004, 09:12 PM

I don't know if this will help but you can actually do a very good job with the two composite glues they sell if you don't have a plastic welder, ie air or airless. There are some steps you should take though to assure a strong weld. You will need to take a dremil tool with a grinding tip and grind down both sides of the plastic at around 60* angles, this will look something like this V .
/\
I hope you can get the jist of it. Make sure that between the two V's you go through a little bit of the way to allow the media or glue to adhear to itself and the plastic. Also when you buy a plastic (glue) make sure it is universal not a specific type because there are plenty of types of plastic, ie- TPO,TPU,PP,ABS etc. You can find out what type it is exactly by looking on the back of the plastic, it will be stamped.Once you have done the repair and the glue has cured you'll need to refinish accordingly, sand-bondo-paint.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CATCH DIS HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can anyone give me a few points .</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont drop it anymore
Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Plastic weld (JonnyDanger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JonnyDanger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont drop it anymore </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good one Jon, good one
Old 12-18-2004, 09:13 AM

I recently fixed damage to the plastics of my 01 GSXR. I used a bluepoint butane soldering iron to do the repair and it worked very well. For filler I used ABS plastic from extra parts of dash kits (i'm a car stereo installer). All in all it worked very well and looks perfect now thanks to my body guy. He didn't have to use any filler either, its all plastic. BTW, I tried one of those harbor freight plastic welders and didn't like it.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CATCH-- will you please call me about your p30 ECU, i live in sacramento. i cant PM yet cause i just signed up. PLUS im a mr2 owner too. ill come and pick this ecu up.
Mad.Ra88it at gmail com

or nine one six 532 1991

thanks,
Matt
Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can buy a cheaper welder from HF.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

But dont..Its the biggest piece of **** on earth!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Go to a local automotive paint and supply shop and ask if they sell anr Lord and Fusor products. Fusur is a type of epoxy glue that many body shops use to reparir bumper, glue on body panels, exc. Bring in the broken plastic so they can recommend which Fusor to use. I cost abou $30-40 a tube, which will be more than enough. Let me know if you can find any and i can get it from my job and ship it to you.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone please get ahold of Catch Dis Hatch for me or post up a way to contact him. thanks!
i am still a trial member.........and its really starting to bug the hell outta me.
-Matt
ma_rw@hotmail.com
Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Plastic weld (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They cut and alternator belt apart and used this glue, and let people try to rip the belt apart and no one could rip it apart.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've ripped em apart