Notices

lincoln welder sp-135

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lincoln welder sp-135

I'm looking to get into welding, I don't know much about a welding as of now, but im looking at welder's so I can start saving and trying to find good deals, I came across this lincoln welder searching google, I'd like to have a welder that is good quality and be able to do a variety of things. For the price this welder looked looked good, i know I'd prolly need to spend another $800 to get everything else, like tank, welding gear, gas and such. But like I said befor I don't know much about welding machines yet. I know I'd like something i can weld SS, aluminum, I plan to do repairs on the side, and make some a custom header for my b16/ turbo kit, along with odd's and ends.

The SP-135 Plus combines a wire feeder and welder with features that allow anyone to make great welds! It is one of the few portable, MIG & flux-cored packages on the market to feature continuous voltage adjustment for tight procedure control.

With a convenient 115V input and 135 amps of welding power you can weld a multitude of applications from home and farm repair projects to body work in automotive shops. Also great for welding stainless steel and aluminum.

Everything you need to start welding is included in this package!

Welding Specifications

For welding steel, stainless steel and aluminum.
Package includes gun and cable, work clamp and cable, input power cord, guide tubes and drive rolls, gas solenoid valve, gas regulator, and spool of wire.
115V operation-no special wiring required.
Solid state output control for long life and repetitive welding applications.
Designed for .023"-.030" solid MIG wire and .035" flux-cored wire.
For welding 24 gauge through 5/16" mild steel plate.
Suitable for welding with .023"-.035" stainless steel and .035" aluminum.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lincoln welder sp-135

It's not a bad machine for what it is, but the problem is it's weak. You won't be able to do much more than just 16G tubing. Forget engine mounts or other things of this nature. Quality is good though!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i wasn't sure on how good it was, but that answerd my question, I'll have to find something more expensive cause i want to get a good machine the first time so i don't have to get another one. I'm gonna have to do more reading up and find a good lincoln welder, or complete kit type deal, thanks for the quick answer
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look for something that has a 220v input at the very least. The same version of that welder is available in a 180A variety, and I think it would be a much better buy. If you are patient enough to save some more money, you might want to check out the machines a level or two up from these, which are the 200A+ units, such as the Power Mig series, or Millermatics ...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM

you can get referbished hobart 210's for not much more.
id take the hobart 210 or 180 any day over that.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The SP-135plus is one of the best machines in the 115V catagory. It as far as I know has been replaced by a 140amp machine. If you go to the lincoln site you will find the 140's. There are 2 listed one is slightly more expensive and it offers what the 135plus has which is complete adjustablilty of not only the wire speed but also the voltage. I find this very important. You can purchase the machines for several different sources. I usually purchase machines from a place that sells on ebay using IOC as an ID. Indiana Oxygen supply. I will say this as a couple of others have stated these machines have limits. They do a good job on 1/8 and provide portability. If you want a better option but ared will to give up the 115V for 220 you can go with a 180 version. The 140 will satisfy most Home/light welding. One thing you need to realize is that you can't plug a 115 in anywhere you want and expect to not trip a breaker. They draw at max output more then many 115 outlets will support. If your going to fix a mower deck you can pretty much plug it anywhere. If your going to try and do a light trailer repair or build you will need at least a 20amp circut. I have a 140 (bought off of craiglist) and it worked fine for finishing my wrought iron railing in place. In the shop I have a DC-250 lincoln power source with a ln-7 feeder. 30' power cord plus another 25' of cord from the power source to the feeder and a 15' gun if I need it otherwise it sits right on the powersource. I also have a systematics spool gun for aluminum. This is the machine I used for most of the railing. It has been a loyal trouble free machine for over 20 years. it was also about a 3500 dollar investment back then.

don't by a home cheapo lincoln or a costco style machine they are different just a like a home depot/lowes john deere. Its a shame that the manufacturers have bower to this but they are still better then the china crap.