Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor Frieght Bandsaw

Link to saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/horizon...saw-93762.html

It has a coupon in the local paper down to $199

After reading some reviews on the site, they say to get a good quality blade and fix the stand, obviously 2 things I'm able to do.

I have a chopsaw for exhaust piping, but this would be nice to use as well.

Perhaps even build a manifold or something down the road. I heard at some point the HF saw wasn't to bad, wasn't sure if this was still the case.

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Harbor Frieght Bandsaw

I've used this exact saw for four years now.

Got mine for $136.00 with a coupon. Like you mentioned get good blades for it, I usually use blades from Fastenal. The one major problem I ran into was with the adjuster bearings. The bolts worked their way loose and mangled the blade.

Other than that I've used this thing so much it isn't even funny. It's paid for itself about a million times over. I personally can't believe it's still running.

My personal experience: Get one.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to stop tomorrow after work and pick it up.

Not sure where I can pick-up a nice blade for it? Anywhere online?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We had one. Was junk. Couldnt get it to cut straight/perpendicular to the tubing to save our life. Not sure what we overlooked. Messed with the blade tension and those adjustment points right at the cutting throat and no luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wade
We had one. Was junk. Couldnt get it to cut straight/perpendicular to the tubing to save our life. Not sure what we overlooked. Messed with the blade tension and those adjustment points right at the cutting throat and no luck.
I've been reading that the stand has alot to do with how the blade cuts. Once they beefed up the stand w/renforcements, everything was A-ok.

I went to pick it up last night, but they were out (go figure), so I'll check back at a later date. I had a 20% off coupon as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ExVtec
I've been reading that the stand has alot to do with how the blade cuts. Once they beefed up the stand w/renforcements, everything was A-ok.

I went to pick it up last night, but they were out (go figure), so I'll check back at a later date. I had a 20% off coupon as well.
I love my bandsaw. And i actually use the harbor freight blades as well. I have never had an issue with it not cutting straight or breaking blades. I found that using the fastest speed gets best results. as long as the blade doesnt have much pressure on it it will cut straight.

PS go get a raincheck for the bandaw. IF not you will miss the great deal you got there. I paid a little over 300 for mine with warranty.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by ExVtec
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to stop tomorrow after work and pick it up.

Not sure where I can pick-up a nice blade for it? Anywhere online?
Use the Super Cut blade they sell 10-14TPI. Its honestly as good as any Morse, Irwin, or Lenox blade ive ever used.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all, I did get a rain check, they are supposed to call me Thursday. It's not something I'll use everyday, or even once a week or month, but it's super nice when you need it I think. I do exhaust work for mostly my own stuff, and it will cut the alum piping I think alot nicer than my chop saw which tends to "crush" the ends. Not to mention I am making another catch can, and I use to cut that with a jigsaw, and that gets old. I'd like to build a manifold in the future as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
OG Fabricator

best "mod" i ever did to mine

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice !
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought one (mine's green, tho) back in '05 and it still works like a champ. I even let it sit in the corner of the garage unused for about two years and I thought for sure it would need maintenanced or wouldn't work. Nope, it fired right up and cut just as well as ever.
Definitely make sure to use cutting oil on your blade to help maintain the life of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we have two of these. brace the stand and they'll last forever and cut straighter than anything. We use the 22tpi blades and they last quite a long time. Made a little platform for one of them like pictured above. Also made a self lubricating system. WD-40 will multiply the blade's life.

We also have a JET bandsaw and I would never spend the money on a "brand" name bandsaw.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the cover off the gear box and clean out the nasty junk they put in them. (there is only a thimble full in there also. Make a new gasket and refill with some good 80w90 gear oil. Replace the blade guide bolts with bigger nicer hardware. I have drilled all of mine over sized and re-tapped to use mostly Honda hardware. Then get a good blade from Starrett and you will be set. I have been using mine for while and am very happy with it. I cut everything from PVC to steel to aluminum, works great. I would like to build a taller stand for it and one that rolls a little better, but beyond that it is great for the money.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jj07, how is the bed fixed to the band saw?