Notices

Welding Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding Helmet

I'm going to be taking a course next semester, Welding, and I was wondering what Helmets you would reccommend, under 200. I've been told that auto-darkening is all I really need. I haven't welded before, and I'll be learning to TIG, MIG, and stick I believe. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Welding Helmet (LilManSi)

im sure you will get 200 replies..

I have one from weldingdepot.com it was around $50.. I also have a $20 solid pane helmet.. I dont really have any preference.. The auto dark ones are nice for tacking in odd places tho!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Welding Helmet (Want2race)

i have had an inexpensive auto darkening one for a while. it is the single worst piece of equipment I have ever bought. you will most likely get some eye damage if you use it for more than a few welds.

For the sake of your sight, buy a regular one if you are on a budget.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (Bailhatch)

So you have an auto-darkening and you don't like it? Why dont you like it? and BUMP!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilManSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you have an auto-darkening and you don't like it? Why dont you like it? and BUMP!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, because it darkens way slower than advertised I suspect. I used it for MIG welding about 20 manifolds (with shade set between 11-12) and now have sort of dull spots in my vision and my night vision has been reduced enough to notice. It sucks and i'm quite sure it's because of this shitty HF autodark. I assume other cheap ones use the same dimming 'technology' and would never risk the rest of my vision to find out, that is why I suggest you all don't risk finding out the hard way either.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:41 AM

Start out with a cheap $30 helmet. You might find out that you don't want to weld and you'd be out $200.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (Bailhatch)

is the auto darking one you got the 49.99 special at Harbo freight? I got one of those and it looks like the whole lens does not even go dark.

I got the nex gen eqc and am loving it. Well worth the money in my opion. I figure you only have one set of eyes why cheap out on buying a helmet that will protect them.

I took my hf helmet back after having it for over a year. No sale slip just took it back and said I lost it. I got store credit.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I prefer a standard helmet over an auto darkening. I've used a few different times and they tend to give me a headache. It also sucks when you accidentally cover up the photosensor and the hemlet goes into clear mode! OUCH!

It's not that hard to flip down a standard helmet. I can see where an autodarkening would be nice in odd welding positions like upside down, etc though...
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: (mopar junkie)

IT'S A HOOD!!!!!!!!!

We're not playing foot ball or riding motorcycles here, it's a WELDING HOOD!!! (or maybe a shield)
Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Engloid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IT'S A HOOD!!!!!!!!!

We're not playing foot ball or riding motorcycles here, it's a WELDING HOOD!!! (or maybe a shield)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know what kind you use. But mine is DOT approved.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto darkening is ok, just make sure it is battery and solar powered.

Thoes cheap ones that are strictly solar are garbage.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Engloid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IT'S A HOOD!!!!!!!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know what yall call it in TN but here in TX its a HELMET! Haha, j/k. You're probably right. Kinda like the machine is a welder and the person welding is a weldor.

Miller calls its a helmet too.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Auto darkening is ok, just make sure it is battery and solar powered. </TD></TR></TABLE>

right, but even the battery powered units have a photo-sensor to activate the screen. If you cover it up the HOOD thinks you're done welding and goes into clear mode. I've had it happen before on a $300 miller hood.

Modified by mopar junkie at 3:58 AM 1/25/2005
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 PM
OG Fabricator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mopar junkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't know what yall call it in TN but here in TX its a HELMET! Haha, j/k. You're probably right. Kinda like the machine is a welder and the person welding is a weldor. </TD></TR></TABLE>
NO, THAT'S A WELDING MACHINE!!! (avoids confusion that way)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mopar junkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Miller calls its a helmet too.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's cause they need to use terminology that rookies understand
Old 01-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (backpurge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backpurge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Start out with a cheap $30 helmet. You might find out that you don't want to weld and you'd be out $200.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is going to be part of my job, so I will be welding for a while, hopefully the rest of my life. I want to spend under $200, and so far I've heard to look for battery and solar powered, is that about it? Also, hood/helmet, its like soda/pop.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 PM
OG Fabricator

I've welded for 19 years and havn't ever felt the need to spend money on anything more than a $26 Jackson hood. An auto darkening hood won't make you any better a welder than training wheels made you a better bicycle rider.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Welding Helmet (Engloid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've welded for 19 years and havn't ever felt the need to spend money on anything more than a $26 Jackson hood. An auto darkening hood won't make you any better a welder than training wheels made you a better bicycle rider. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Auto darkening hoods are good for cage work though where it would be impossible to flip your hood down. Also nice for fast, repetitive work like making tack welds.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other opinions?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM
OG Fabricator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backpurge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Auto darkening hoods are good for cage work though where it would be impossible to flip your hood down. Also nice for fast, repetitive work like making tack welds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've crawled INSIDE of 18" pipe and welded it inside...and like I said, I have never NEEDED an auto darkening hood. Yeah, they may come in handy, but so does my eyesight....and I don't think I need to risk it for the 2-3 times a year that an auto darkening hood may just be easier.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Speedglas, you can get the fixed darkness hood for under 200, but I would recommend the adjustable for 60.00 more. I have used these every day for the last 4 years without a problem.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Welding Helmet (2KWK4U)

I second speedglass. 3 yrs no problems.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (titanperf)

Got a 30 dollar regular helmet here. jackson shadow, with a number 10 lense works awsome for any application. My teacher has been welding for 30 years, bought a 350 dollar autodarkening, and still uses his regular helmet. Plus with the auto darkening you dont get a big of a lense to look thru, and then tend to be a little heavier. Just go to a local welding supplier, and pick up a nice regular helmet and save your money for more car parts.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Welding Helmet (jaydmcrx)

just a plain old helmet for me too, no need for an auto darkening hood.

engloid, how often do you change your UV lense that goes in front of your hood filter?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (Engloid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've welded for 19 years and havn't ever felt the need to spend money on anything more than a $26 Jackson hood. An auto darkening hood won't make you any better a welder than training wheels made you a better bicycle rider. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't use an auto darkening hood either, but i find i get bruises on my collar bones from flipping mine down all the time haha
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Welding Helmet (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the auto darking one you got the 49.99 special at Harbo freight? I got one of those and it looks like the whole lens does not even go dark.

I got the nex gen eqc and am loving it. Well worth the money in my opion. I figure you only have one set of eyes why cheap out on buying a helmet that will protect them.

I took my hf helmet back after having it for over a year. No sale slip just took it back and said I lost it. I got store credit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i got the harb frght 49.99 and it works great with my mig welder
Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Welding Helmet (89 EF Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89 EF Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i got the harb frght 49.99 and it works great with my mig welder </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya, stop using it now if you like your eyes. I know it seems like it works great but it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Welding Helmet