Notices

looking for opinions on this block!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for opinions on this block!

decided to ditch my k24 project and picked up a k20a2 for a awesome deal....only problem...

came out of a wrecked rsx....a/c compressor was hit hard...and thats the damage....haven't started taken it apart yet just got the motor tonight..getting to work on it tomorrow. I know of some very good alluminum welders local so just looking for some opinions before I take it to them
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Re: looking for opinions on this block! (mr.coupe)

I repaired a VQ block that had a very similar problem, and it is going to take a lot of work. Deep grooves need to be made, and holes will have to be partially filled, drilled, and retapped. It can be done though, Good Luck!

PS: If there is no oil presure behind any of the holes then you'r fine. The VQ cracked on an Oil Presure Sensor port, and was a ***** to make it seal correctly.

TigWiz
Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Shooting Star

You can always get a new timing side cover, but where the girdle is hit and rides up a little might be of some concern, your not using ac in your car anyways are you?

That will always be an oil lead if its not fixed correctly.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

if you still have the K24 motor, I would use the block from that. I am building a K24A4 with K20A2 head for my next CB. More torque and good top end

Good luck on the welding though.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_DC4_Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_DC4_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you still have the K24 motor, I would use the block from that. I am building a K24A4 with K20A2 head for my next CB. More torque and good top end

Good luck on the welding though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats what I was doing but decided to ditch the k24/k20 project and go with this swap....picked this complete swap up for $2600 so I'm not complaining.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can always get a new timing side cover, but where the girdle is hit and rides up a little might be of some concern, your not using ac in your car anyways are you?

That will always be an oil lead if its not fixed correctly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

New timing chain cover is about to be ordered...just need to start ripping this apart and see whats up with the lower portion of that block. Yeah I'm not using a/c so I don't even need that hole for the 14mm...so I'm just gonna have them weld it up just to be safe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TigWiz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I repaired a VQ block that had a very similar problem, and it is going to take a lot of work. Deep grooves need to be made, and holes will have to be partially filled, drilled, and retapped. It can be done though, Good Luck!

PS: If there is no oil presure behind any of the holes then you'r fine. The VQ cracked on an Oil Presure Sensor port, and was a ***** to make it seal correctly.

TigWiz</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it doesn't seem like it will be to bad..I'll post more pics as I tear this down more.