Notices

4g63 into civic, mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (Turbocivic94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbocivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda Engines are much superior than 4G63. I know cause I owned few of them. You need triple the boost to be effecient.</TD></TR></TABLE>you are an idiot.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (maskednegator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maskednegator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are an idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend you have some learning to do. Dont be ignorant.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

both of you are ignorant now shutup and go back to your play pens
Old 08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbocivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda Engines are much superior than 4G63. I know cause I owned few of them. You need triple the boost to be effecient.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bring out your dates, data graphs and equal mods with the SAME turbo , intake plumbing geometry and engine internals.

If you haven't done this test please nicely shut your phucking mouth.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (MidShipCivic)

this guy asked this 3 yrs ago, i bet he's crusing around in his 4g63 powered civic right now and laughing haha
Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (i drive a honda)

Alot of us now run higher compression with great efficiency and very linear powerbands. I personally run 10.1:1 in my engines, but the next one will be at 11.2:1..
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bump this already immortal thread buuuut...

I have owned many Hondas, and a few DSMs. I recently got rid of my last Talon in efforts to give a Honda another shot. Im under the impression, with anough time, and a good deal of fabrication ability, you wouldnt have to drop an arm and a leg to get the swap done. My Talon, had a 6bolt with 2g pistons(c/r 8.5:1 as compared to the stock 6bolt c/r of 7.5:1) stock 1g head with a 5angle valve grind, crower springs/retainers, ffwd 272 cams, B16g turbo @26lbs on 91 pump, FMIC and a 3"exh(plus supporting mods like fuel, etc.) all tuned with a gm MAF and an afc. Bolt ons, thats all(unless you count swapping the pistons, which you shouldnt, because all it does is raise the c/r to that of the 2g T/E 7bolt 4g63's), netting me 386AWHP, and 394ft/lbs w/a correction factor of 1.2 on a dynojet(not to mention an altitude of 6500ft above sea level...) I had WAY less money in it than I currently have into my swapped EG hatch, and it was WAY WAY quicker...of course the hatch isnt boosted yet...

My basic point is, there are a few reasons why Id do the swap:

1: different!! (I know, I know....but its not JDM!!)
2: bulletproof!
3: reliable...(there is a guy here in Colorado Springs with the Talons sister car Galant vr4. He has the stock 6bolt still in the car, running 32 lbs of boost on a gt35r+e85....been that way for over a year now... , and just turned over 225K on the odometer! Its all about the tune, and how well you take care of the car....like previously mentioned in the thread)
4: respond very well to bolt ons, and are reasonably cheap to do so with...

To each is own, just wanted to throw my vote in the hat, all FOR swapping a 4g63 into your Honda of choice... do eeet!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (hks-gst)

Originally Posted by hks-gst

I think you should do alittle more research on a 4g63....My friend runs 25psi on 93oct and 30+psi at the track on race gas this being on a stock bottom end...dont belive me? I will be more then glad to show you datalogs....you say honda motors are far superior? let me begin with the 6bolt head, the head flows more in its stock form then a then a extensivly ported b-series honda head...next the bottom end will plain and simple take more punishment then any honda block made..why? because the 6 bolt 4g63 is CAST IRON as apposed to the honda aluminum blocks, in order for honda engines to run any sort of HIGH BOOST reliably they have to be sleeved. btw the fastest 4cyl in the world is a 4g63t. Im not here to say one engine is better then another...I just dont like seeing misinformation being spread. :
yep, i used to have a 92 talon awd that ran 12.60 with bolt-ons an alot of boost, so imagine that motor in a cx eg or hf crx thats twice as light as the dsm, how fast do you think eg or crx would be then?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (civic4g63)

Originally Posted by civic4g63
yep, i used to have a 92 talon awd that ran 12.60 with bolt-ons an alot of boost, so imagine that motor in a cx eg or hf crx thats twice as light as the dsm, how fast do you think eg or crx would be then?
I agree
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (ABK)

sorry but the 6 bolt 2.0 can make goobs of power. Well past 500.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tecMNSTR719
Sorry to bump this already immortal thread buuuut...

I have owned many Hondas, and a few DSMs. I recently got rid of my last Talon in efforts to give a Honda another shot. Im under the impression, with anough time, and a good deal of fabrication ability, you wouldnt have to drop an arm and a leg to get the swap done. My Talon, had a 6bolt with 2g pistons(c/r 8.5:1 as compared to the stock 6bolt c/r of 7.5:1) stock 1g head with a 5angle valve grind, crower springs/retainers, ffwd 272 cams, B16g turbo @26lbs on 91 pump, FMIC and a 3"exh(plus supporting mods like fuel, etc.) all tuned with a gm MAF and an afc. Bolt ons, thats all(unless you count swapping the pistons, which you shouldnt, because all it does is raise the c/r to that of the 2g T/E 7bolt 4g63's), netting me 386AWHP, and 394ft/lbs w/a correction factor of 1.2 on a dynojet(not to mention an altitude of 6500ft above sea level...) I had WAY less money in it than I currently have into my swapped EG hatch, and it was WAY WAY quicker...of course the hatch isnt boosted yet...

My basic point is, there are a few reasons why Id do the swap:

1: different!! (I know, I know....but its not JDM!!)
2: bulletproof!
3: reliable...(there is a guy here in Colorado Springs with the Talons sister car Galant vr4. He has the stock 6bolt still in the car, running 32 lbs of boost on a gt35r+e85....been that way for over a year now... , and just turned over 225K on the odometer! Its all about the tune, and how well you take care of the car....like previously mentioned in the thread)
4: respond very well to bolt ons, and are reasonably cheap to do so with...

To each is own, just wanted to throw my vote in the hat, all FOR swapping a 4g63 into your Honda of choice... do eeet!
What you talking about man, it can still be jdm, after all the 4g63 is a japanese market engine
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Immortal
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods?

BACK FROM THE GRAVE!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (maskednegator)

Originally Posted by Turbocivic94
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maskednegator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are an idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend you have some learning to do. Dont be ignorant.
OK, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of you Honda guys are in the dark about Mitsubishi engines

1. crank-walk happens because owners don't know how to properly care for their engines. if you fix the oil squirters, put in the correct thrust bearing, and put in some Main bearing cap alignment dowels (total ~$150 or less) you can effectively remove the risk of crank-walk.

2. you can't just slap a turbo on an engine and make it fast, there is always tuning to be done. everyone always dogs Mitsubishi engines when they themselves don't know much about how engines work. I have a couple v-tec fanatic friends, when I ask them what they know about v-tec they say it kicks in at 5500... that's it. I find that a lot of people that argue one way or another, don't actually know both sides of the story. v-tec (and especially i-VTEC) is an impressive technology, coupled with a turbo it's a potent mixture. now... I wanna see one run big boost (30+ PSI) on stock internals. the fact of the matter is, Honda's can accomplish the same effect on 10 PSI w/v-tec, as a DSM can accomplish on 20-25 PSI (depending on mods), only increasing boost on a DSM is not as harmful to the engine, and costs a lot less to do. don't try to argue it, it's the truth. now if you sleeve your Honda block and get a lot of air/fuel mods to support it, you can run 15-20 PSI on that Honda engine, but that's still something the DSM does from stock (maybe light mods) Both are good platforms, it just depends on what you want to do with it. I am personally thinking of doing a 2.4L (4g64, g64b, g4cs) w/4g63 turbo head & AWD setup, into a mid-90's EK or EG hatch, I want to do auto-x with it, lightweight engineering of Honda with Mitsubishi, slightly higher compression of the 100mm crankshaft, couples with a 1g BIG PORT head for better air-flow.

3. people rarely swap a b-series, d-series, or k-series engine into anything except a Honda, do a Google search for "4g63 swap," there's a reason so many people want these engines in their cars. the ability to push ridiculous amounts of boost on your engine with little to no consequence is appealing to a lot of people. I see a lot of Honda fan boys criticizing these people calling the engines "idiot-proof for the idiot." what people tend to forget is that there is virtually limit-less possibilities with these engines. look at what AMS is doing with them, or buschur racing, what about john shepherd or even BRENT RAU!!! it's amazing that NO Honda 4-cylinder engine has managed to make it into the 6's in the 1/4 mile, so before all you Honda guys go ripping on how much he spent on his car, go look up information on him, he is a middle-class man doing what he loves. his engine requires very little up-keep, and produces A LOT of power.

4. everyone dogs on Mitsubishi engines for requiring a lot of boost to make big power, but look at the flip-side, how many pump-gas engines can you push 40+ PSI of boost on? and there are things you can do to Mitsubishi engines that you can't do to any other engine, like take out the 88mm crankshaft, swap in a 100mm crankshaft, and make 9:1 compression. or you could take the 4g63 head, swap it onto a 4g64, g64b, or g4cs block and spool 10 PSI from damn-near idle. lets not forget the efficiency that creates, plus when you get over 30 PSI, the engine starts to become insanely efficient.

OK, so I'm rambling now... the point is, every engine has it's ups and downs.
I know plenty of guys who have put 5 PSI on their stock GSR motors, and blew them up, and I've known guys who were able to get to 15 PSI safely.

I've known people who blew up stock 4g63's and I've known guys who pushed them to the max at 35 PSI (me ). it's a matter of knowing what you're doing, and swapping engines is no exception.

to each their own, and it's nobody else's job to criticize, if you have information on the swap, then provide it. if you don't know anything about it... he didn't ask for your opinion.

I personally think it's great that someone has the ***** to do something custom, and screw anyone that judges them for trying to be original!

if you would still like information about 4g63's I do have a fair amount of experience with them, and am not afraid to tackle new obstacles. PM me, if I don't have the answer, I can find out for you.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for bumping an old thread.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
OG Fabricator

LOL its back again.....

IMO considering that a majority of the people that are asking about the swap do not have the mechanical ability or fabrication skills to tackle the job (if they did they would not ask)

why not just swap that 4g63 into a hyundai elantra or a dodge colt hatch or something that is mainly a bolt in ordeal, granted its not a honda but at least its a possible swap rather than a dream for most.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the general consensus is that it depends on your own opinion, and that other's opinions are meaningless.

For mr 1-post, there's a few things YOU don't see:

*Many people slap ebay kits on Hondas with just a fuel pump and FMU and they run like a bat outta hell. When done semi-right using a wideband & retrictors to regulate the FMU, even a ign retard module, they last a long time. However Honda EMS's are *cheap*. Many other car guys are converting to Honda OBD1, which was designed 20 years ago.

*There are many b-swapped non-hondas. It's mainly because these engines spin the wrong way, and the un-initiated don't understand how a small motor could actually go fast. Pull up any initial magazine's test for an S2000. They'll complain about no torque at idle (they're used to >6.0L "sportcar" engines), but they always say it cuts up the road and feels fast after the revs get up.

*Honda motors that can take 30+ psi are making 700+ whp. Do you really think 30+ psi on a 16g will equate to that much?? Psi numbers are meaningless. When stock GSR's can make 300+ with 10psi, there's pretty much no reason to crank it to 30psi for a road car.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i have done some research and with the help of my 1991 galant vr4 as reference i have decided to do a AWD 6-bolt swap into my 95 civic coupe. i have already found a AWD eagle talon TSi, with 117k miles all original for $1200. so obviously the swap isnt going to be too expensive.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Domo_Arigato
well, i have done some research and with the help of my 1991 galant vr4 as reference i have decided to do a AWD 6-bolt swap into my 95 civic coupe. i have already found a AWD eagle talon TSi, with 117k miles all original for $1200. so obviously the swap isnt going to be too expensive.
do it, we'd all like to see a build thread on it
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To be fair its going to get a bid of a bashing because this is a Honda forum, agreed the 4g63 is a good motor but I still dont see why you would want to fit one in the front of a Honda with the options available. I have seen Honda motors fitted in all sorts mini,s trikes etc plus Im fitting one in the front of my Renault.

Name:  08112009130.jpg
Views: 4977
Size:  201.7 KB

Name:  08112009132.jpg
Views: 4244
Size:  115.7 KB
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
I have seen Honda motors fitted in all sorts mini,s LOTUS trikes etc plus Im fitting one in the front of my Renault.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its easier to over build an engine and rely on brute boosting to make horsepower then to make an engine that is extremely effecient. Mt SRT-4 made 330HP at 16 PSI (2.4L) and probably could have done that forever. It was a strong motor, but it wasn't an effecient motor....it didn't have anything special.

The K20 can make that power with 20% less displacement at about 12 PSI. So that tells you that the K motor is actually making much more use of its displacement and operating range then the SRT-4 motor. Just machining out a chunk of solid iron and calling it a day doesn't excite me as much, from a technical point of view.

Thats stricltly my opinion and I still love all things engines. Putting engines that don't belong is fun period. Hell I'd read the article if someone put a Northstar in a Civic just as much as if they put a Hayabusa V8.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen Miguels hatch in person. 4G63 built AWD EK hatch. Bad ***. I dont know the details as to how much it cost but its a lot of custom stuff.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's a few pics of a 4g63 on a E30 bmw, t56 trans
Name:  launch7-3-10.jpg
Views: 4302
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 4254
Size:  13.2 KB not a full pass
Name:  4g631.jpg
Views: 4320
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  4g63.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  pumping.jpg
Views: 4288
Size:  65.4 KB
Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a buddys from years and years ago haha. ran 12's from what i remember. custom mounts, dsm harness, dsm ecu.

Name:  TJCivic008.jpg
Views: 5182
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  TJCivic020.jpg
Views: 4465
Size:  54.5 KB

Quick Reply: 4g63 into civic, mods?