Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Whiny 2000 SI S4C

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whiny 2000 SI S4C

I have had some transmission issues in the last couple years and just want to get some input. While my car was down I had all of the worn synchros and shift sleeves replaced and at the same time we did diff bearings and the bearings on either end of the main shaft and countershaft. The transmission whined pretty bad before we did any of that work and we assumed it was the diff bearings. We replaced those with OEM and it got quieter, but was still present. Now that I've put a few hundred miles on the "rebuilt" transmission the whining is louder than it was before the new diff bearings were installed. It does it in every gear, but loudest in 1st and gets quieter as you work your way up through the gears. I do remember there being a good amount of metal built up on the magnet when we first opened the case and I wasn't sure if that was debris from the bad bearings we replaced or gear material. It has the stock 2000SI open diff in it.

I am leaning towards it being the gears in the diff itself, but wanted to see what people thought or had any tips on how to troubleshoot it before I start ordering parts.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Whiny 2000 SI S4C

Were the shafts fully disassembled and everything properly cleaned?

How did the gear needle bearings look?

How did the collars and ID of the rotating gears look (still have the cross hatch?)?

How did the gear teeth look? Were they worn?

The Helms manual lists all the specs for ID's and OD's and gives an okay example of what the gear teeth should look like shape wise.