Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

What happened to my Accord?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to my Accord?

Hey guys I'm just getting into cars & hondas @ 18 so excuse the noobish talk. I have a beloved 89 Accord LX 5 speed. This is the first stick car i've owned and my first car period. So the clutch went out today..so I think. Please read, and i appreciate any feedback

So today I was driving like normal, pulled out of a parking lot. clutch, gears, engine everything fine. I'm slowing down at a light so I put the car in neutral and have the clutch in all the way. When I try to put it back in first, I couldnt. I let off the clutch in neutral and the clutch pedal feels like nothing is happening. No force behind the clutch just floppy. I pull over, shut the car off, start it again. Try to put it in first, no give. Shut it off, START it in first gear..and the car would start and then move, Almost as if the clutch was stuck to the flywheel and I had no control over it (clutch pedal still floppy). So I continue to have it in first and drive it down to a service station a few blocks away. I told him what happened, and he wanted to drive the car. When he got in it, he said he would try to shift without the clutch. So he did around the parking lot. Somehow he got the feel back in the clutch, but then it wasn't gripping well/burnt out. So he determined my clutch was toast, which is what he feels like now. So I limped it home..or tried until the clutch would grab anymore uphill and so i couldnt move. Had to get it towed home. My question is what you guy think exactly happened...I know my clutch is toast now because I have normal clutch feel in the pedal, and it engages (so i believe) but doesnt grab of course. But I thought clutches burn out overtime. I knew my clutch was going bad but...Why did i just all of a sudden lose all clutch feel with the clutch disengaged in neutral. All the gears still work and it shifts fine. I'm just a bit confused. I'm thinking maybe the pressure plate broke..or something jammed not letting the clutch disengage if thats possible. I Dont know..
Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your pressure plate just gave up the ghost .. just make sure the reservoir is full and the slave still moves fully when you push the clutch ... If so the pp went out
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What happened to my Accord?

it's a cable clutch, I thought those didnt have a master cylinder?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i see u got an 89 ... im thinking its ur pp

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 09-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.