Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem?

Excuse me if this thread is in a incorrect category, or seems like a repeated question, etc. (And apologies as my knowledge on cars is pretty much slim and self taught.) My friend introduced me to the site and this is my first time posting here, figured i'd make a thread that will help my specific problem . Anyway, to the problem at hand. I just recently purchased a 95 coupe honda civic DX(Automatic) and noticed that before shifting gears, the RPM's seem pretty high and the car sort of jerks into the next gears, almost as if i was driving stick and timed the shift wrong. This also happens when i'm coming to a stop (in shifting down it feels the same way a bad shift feels on a manual). As i said earlier, my knowledge on cars is pretty slim as this is my first car and i'm pretty much learning as i work on it. I figure this would obviously be a transmission problem. Here's a few things to know: When i bought the car the transmission fluid was really low and dirty so i purchased about 2 qts of Auto-Tranny fluid since at the time that's pretty much all i could afford plus my dad kept driving it in my head that i need to get it flushed (Though i've recently heard flushing my tranny would lead to an early death?). I also began swapping out the old exhaust as it was severely rusted at the muffler(not sure if this effects the transmission at all but figured it was worth saying). At the moment everything after the Catalytic Converter under the car is gone. I've purchased a new Catback muffler, Walker and Tailpipe but it seems the Catalytic Converter from the old exhaust was wielded onto the muffler (which rusted off leaving just the CAT and the pipe to the catback muffler) so i'm currently waiting on the newly purchased one to arrive. The CEL isn't flashing or anything (it only comes on when turning the car ON (II) for 2 beeps and disappears). When the car is in [P]ark and i switch to [R]everse or [D4] sometimes it has that old door hinge sound and sometimes it doesn't (there's always a jerk tho, i figured this to be normal). Any help would be appreciate and thanks in advance. Glad to be a part of the Honda community

Last edited by dizzi; 07-02-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission Problem?

normally on Honda automatic transmissions (especially if the have a ton of miles) you are not supposed to Power purge flush them. Even at the honda dealerships they only do drain and fills with only HONDA Genuine Fluids. Ive had a couple friends that were being very cheap and and bout fluid thats not supposed to be in there and used it, leading to an early "death" of the transmission. This is only in my opinion and alot of honda technicians opinion.How many miles were on the trans before you flushed it, and did you use honda fluid? Seems like the torque converter is taking a crap imo.LMK and ill do my best to assist.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi b16sir2000, and thanks for the assistance. Fortunately, i don't pay much attention to my dad when it comes to cars. I have not flushed anything as i heard drain-and-fill cycle'n was the way to go with old Honda transmission, but, i did put 2 quarts of ATF into my transmission. I admit it was some ATF i bought from Walmart called peak, but as i said there was no fluid in the transmission (atleast the dip stick was always bone-dry before i put anything in) so i figure something was better than nothing until i can afford to drain and fully refill with honda grade ATF. The car has about 170,xxx miles by the way.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drain it out pop 5 quarts(?) of Honda fluid in there and see what happens chances are you don't have enough fluid in there as we speak but see what happens
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, 2mar i get paid so i'll buy some Honda Genuine ATF, drain it and refill and tell u how it goes... once again thx for the assistance :D
Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever get the problem sorted out?