Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Trans won't shift in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans won't shift in hot weather

I have a 2000 Civic EX automatic ( 130,000 miles)which has had a rebuilt/replacement trans recently installed. it shifts normally in cool to moderate weather. I live in the chicago area and recently when the weather has been in the 90's it shifts into first and then will hold a shift with stable foot pressure all the way up to 60 mph without a shift and the RPM's go up to 4000K forever and more if I let it. Have to take foot off gas and let engine RPM drop down and start over. Sometimes 2 blocks or more without a shift. trans shop has had this car in three times so far for this rebuild. This is the second rebuild in a year. the first guy really screwed it up so we took it to another shop and they rebuilt the original trans again. Starter getting these codes after we got it back. First two times it was P0715 turbine speed sensor and P0730 incorrect gear ratio. They tried two times to fix those and they kept coming back so they got a replacement to rebuild and now I have these hot weather shift problems but no check engine lights yet. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!!!

Cathy

Last edited by cathypod; 07-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trans won't shift in hot weather

hows the car temp? i would get trans cooler instead of the radiator. heat kills trans, a trans cooler will keep the trans cooler than the radiator
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a sticking linear solenoid causing high line pressure.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Trial User

is it possible to rebuild a transmission without taking it out of the car or at the very least disconnecting the power to the radio. the first time it was rebuilt I know i had to reset all my stations. Then when we took it to the new shop they said they rebuilt the whole thing over again but Inever lost any radio stations until the third time they had the car and said they replaced and rebuilt it. i am wondering if they ever even did anything with the car the first time they said they rebuilt it. Don't know, just becoming more frustrated with the whole thing cause now I have to take it back again for this shifting issue.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cathypod
is it possible to rebuild a transmission without taking it out of the car or at the very least disconnecting the power to the radio.
No. Technically you *could* leave the battery connected but it's basically unheard of since it's so easy to short out the power wire going to the starter.

As far as the codes, was the transmission ever replaced with a different unit? you can definitely get code P0715 when running a CX/DX/LX transmission with an EX ECU.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem with my manual transmission but more or less just won't go into gear no matter what sometimes, but when it's cooler like 60-70 degrees it shifts fine but whenever it climbs to 80+ it won't shift for the life of it. I know the synchros are on their last leg and my pressure plate is a cheap aftermarket pos, but still, why would it act up worse in warmer weather?