Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming

I have been having a noise coming from my tranny. It sounds like a whirring/ winding/ humming noise. This started after a day at the drag strip.

Details:
- happens in any gear - cruising, on and off throttle - gets louder w/ RPM's
- goes away when clutch pedal is pushed in
- is not audible coasting in neutral
- is not audible sitting still clutch in or out

Items I have replaced:
- input shaft bearing and bearing on other end of mainshaft
- both bearing on the end of counter shaft (at transmission housing side)

Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming (jmm96gsr)

Any ideas?? Would bad diff. bearings cause the noise?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have this problem to. Its like a rattling whirling sound. I traded trannys with my brother and got a new throw out bearing and its still there when i leave the clutch engaged. Going up hills and putting stress on the tranny around 2000-3500 it happens and then it goes away in the higher rpms like it whirls practically when i floor it to.

I haven't replaced the pilot bearing so its most likely that. When i put in my other flywheel this weekend i'll see if it was that
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealth50k)

My noise never goes away even at higher RPM's (although it's tough to hear w/ an open dump ). I also changed the pilot bearing too.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealth50k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealth50k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have this problem to. Its like a rattling whirling sound. I traded trannys with my brother and got a new throw out bearing and its still there when i leave the clutch engaged. Going up hills and putting stress on the tranny around 2000-3500 it happens and then it goes away in the higher rpms like it whirls practically when i floor it to.

I haven't replaced the pilot bearing so its most likely that. When i put in my other flywheel this weekend i'll see if it was that </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the exact same symptoms. 2000 prm or so i get a whurr/metal rattle sound not too loud, no sound at high rpm no sound at idle. Wonder what it is?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mr_gs-r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr_gs-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have the exact same symptoms. 2000 prm or so i get a whurr/metal rattle sound not too loud, no sound at high rpm no sound at idle. Wonder what it is?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure it's coming from the tranny? Are you sure it's not a heat shield rattling?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jmm96gsr)

This noise also happens when I put the front end up on jack stands and let the car run in 2nd gear without giving the engine any gas.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well that would be a possibility if i had any heatshields left, those were removed a long long time ago. I thought maybe the halfshaft bearing because it soulds like it close to the firewall. IDK what it it but i had the hosing off the trans a few months ago when i replaced the 5/r sleeve and added gearspeed carbon coated synchros and all the bearings looked great. The trans only had maybe 60k on it.

It doesnt seem to be an immediate threat so i'll jsut keep an eye on it and see if i cant eventually track it down.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your bumber gussets first. Very easy. Pull out turn signal housings, and look up inside. Have someone rev it to 2k and look to see if it's rattling around. If it is, wedge a couple of spacers in there and presto! No more annoying noise that almost sounds like a ****-housed bearing. I had the very same problem, couldn't figure it out for the longest time.

If that leads to nothing, pull out your right side axle and check out your diff. Did you get a lot of wheel hop when you were out at the track? That happened to me and I blew it up- spider gear confetti.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr_gs-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well that would be a possibility if i had any heatshields left, those were removed a long long time ago. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I guess that rules the heatshields out. I'm going to mess around with the coupe tomorrow morning to see if I can come up with other symptoms when the noise occurs. A bad clutch release bearing wouldn't make noise with the clutch pedal up and in gear would it??
Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your bumber gussets first. Very easy. Pull out turn signal housings, and look up inside. Have someone rev it to 2k and look to see if it's rattling around. If it is, wedge a couple of spacers in there and presto! No more annoying noise that almost sounds like a ****-housed bearing. I had the very same problem, couldn't figure it out for the longest time.

If that leads to nothing, pull out your right side axle and check out your diff. Did you get a lot of wheel hop when you were out at the track? That happened to me and I blew it up- spider gear confetti.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't make the noise in neutral, even if you rev the engine. I didn't get alot of wheel hop, but when I did the one burn out, I heard a loud bang- it sounded like it came from the passenger side of the engine compartment.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked out the noise agian today , up on jack stands - noise in gear, nothing in neutral. As soon as the clutch pedal is pushed in the noise goes away. Could it be the differential, differential bearings, final drive/ ring gear???? Any ideas??
Old 03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DID YOU CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS ARE BAD?? YOU SAID YOU REPLACE THE TRANS BEARINGS??
Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming (HONDAPARTSMANMIKE)

Yeah, checked the wheel bearings. Absolutely no play moving the wheel when jacked up. I posted about the trans bearings above.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JUST B/C YOU HAVE NO PLAY IN THE WHEEL BEARING DOESNT MEAN THERE NOT BAD. WHAT I WOULD DO IS LIFT UP THE CAR ON JACK STAND OR A LIFT, RUN THE CAR IN GEAR AND WITH A LONG SCREW DRIVER PUT ONE END ON YOUR EAR AND THE OTHER ON THE KNUCKLE BY THE LOWER BALL JOINT AND LISTEN IF YOU CAN HEAR THE NOISE OR FELL IT THROUGH THE SCREW DRIVER. FEEL OR LISTEN FOR ANY RUFFNESS. BE CAREFELL DOING THIS.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after you put the case together, did you tap the mainshaft towards the outside of the case?
are the mainshaft spring and thrust washers installed correctly?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JUST B/C YOU HAVE NO PLAY IN THE WHEEL BEARING DOESNT MEAN THERE NOT BAD. WHAT I WOULD DO IS LIFT UP THE CAR ON JACK STAND OR A LIFT, RUN THE CAR IN GEAR AND WITH A LONG SCREW DRIVER PUT ONE END ON YOUR EAR AND THE OTHER ON THE KNUCKLE BY THE LOWER BALL JOINT AND LISTEN IF YOU CAN HEAR THE NOISE OR FELL IT THROUGH THE SCREW DRIVER. FEEL OR LISTEN FOR ANY RUFFNESS. BE CAREFELL DOING THIS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that sounds scary, but I could try it. Thanks of the tip. I did do the long screw driver to the top of the tranny casing that way and you can defiantly hear it in the case.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after you put the case together, did you tap the mainshaft towards the outside of the case?
are the mainshaft spring and thrust washers installed correctly?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

everything was assembled the same as it was disassembled. I worked on a bench and kept everything organized. Also, this noise was there before the tranny case was ever taken apart - it's no different than before.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BE CAREFELL DOING THIS.</TD></TR></TABLE>Hahaha! If you have access to a lift, I bet you have access to a mechanics stethoscope! Check out your differential bearings.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming (hatchling37)

I wanted to bring this back from the dead. I replaced the noisy tranny with another GSR tranny and the noise is gone, so the noise is definatly inside the transmission. I finally cracked the case open again, hopefully to figure out where the noise is coming from. I would like to be able to use this tranny because it only has 80K on it and I have replaced the bearings on both ends of the input shaft and the bearings on counter shaft (except for the roller bearings). I have been reading about re shimming the diff, but I don't see why this would be solution to my problem since this is the original diff that came with the tranny and it uses the closed bearings, not the roller type bearings ('99 GSR tranny). Any help would be great.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem as you are. I [freak]ed up the input shaft bearing and while in there I had them put in a obx lsd also. Now it's making the same noise your having and at the same rpm's also. When I take it back into the shop that worked on it, hopefully they can find the problem. Then I might be able to let you know what it was on mine, so you check yours.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmm96gsr
Checked out the noise agian today , up on jack stands - noise in gear, nothing in neutral. As soon as the clutch pedal is pushed in the noise goes away. Could it be the differential, differential bearings, final drive/ ring gear???? Any ideas??

To bring this thread back.

The above is my same problem, no noise in neutral, but if I let off all throttle in vtec I get a very loud mettalic raddling... The tranny was just rebuilt, all new synchros, input shaft bearing, tob and a jdm 4.7 fd...

Differential?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming

am having that problem, did you guys fixed your problem?

What was the solution?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 93 civic CX hatch with a D15 and I'm having the same issue.

When the clutch is pushed in, i can rev it as high as i can without hearing it, as soon as I let out the clutch it comes back, no matter what gear it's in when the clutch is engaged, that sound matches the RPM
Also around 2-3K RPM it sounds the worst.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly the same problem here, except my tranny has 240,xxx KM on it, so I'm not adverse to just replacing it. It would be great to see someone find a solution though.

I'm also wondering how long this can go on before something breaks. How long / hard have you guys been running with this sound going on? I'm babying the tranny now.

Quick Reply: tranny noise - whirring / whining / humming