Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

s80 transmission cracked, jb weld or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s80 transmission cracked, jb weld or no?

So the sealing bolt for the snap ring, right below that there is a small crack in the transmission housing.

very slowly leaks. maybe like a single drop every hour. The crack is underneath and up the side a bit of the sealing bolt hole. is is about 1/8 of an inch long and about as thick as hair.

i have no idea how to fix this other then JB weld and will that even work?

anyone have an ideas n' thoughts?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: s80 transmission cracked, jb weld or no?

This type of repair involved epoxies and jb products will not work 99% of the time for this. The problem is that its difficult to get the bond on porous, oily aluminum. You will need to do some serious prep work to get the best possible conditions to try it, and even then its iffy. Being a crack there is a chance that it can continue or open and close with temperature changes. Best bet is to do it right and swap the cases.

It doesnt take a breaker bar and all your might to tighten that plug. A bit of sealant or locktite on the threads and snugging it up is all thats needed.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
This type of repair involved epoxies and jb products will not work 99% of the time for this. The problem is that its difficult to get the bond on porous, oily aluminum. You will need to do some serious prep work to get the best possible conditions to try it, and even then its iffy. Being a crack there is a chance that it can continue or open and close with temperature changes. Best bet is to do it right and swap the cases.

It doesnt take a breaker bar and all your might to tighten that plug. A bit of sealant or locktite on the threads and snugging it up is all thats needed.

No i understand, i was tightening it with a ratchet and just slightly went to far,

well part of it is im just so bummed. already had the tranny down and apart, rebuilt the tranny, cleaned it up, put in an lsd then a month later i crack it by a stupid mistake.

my thought was maybe slightly slightly grind the crack a bit sand the crack, epoxy on and around the crack with the bolt and and re install to check for leaks, and if need be apply another layer of epoxy?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either have it welded or replace the case.

Temperature change along with normal use will cause the case to grow and stretch, the epoxy would end up failing.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Replace the case.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm really quite frustrating such a small crack. gonna try and get it welded. but looks like i will be in the market for an s80 equivalent tranny case
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottom of my outer housing on my GSR trans Has a crack that was coated with JBWeld by previous owner. Its been like that on my car for 60-70 passes at over 400hp and 30 + passes at 800whp. hasnt been an issue. Ive blown 4th gear but thats to be expected with the power I'm making on stock gears.