Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Rebuilt transmission on civic and now can't get into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt transmission on civic and now can't get into gear.

04 Civic LX 5spd
Input bearing went bad to I took out the tranny, replaced the input bearing and put the tranny back together. tried shifting the tranny before I put it in, yup all the gears work, 1-5, Reverse. All good! So i put the tranny in and drive it. Works out just great! Drives like a dream... for 20 minutes. I come to a red light and then whoa, first and second gear are gone.

It felt like there was a wall when I push left on the shift ****. If i push hard left, i can manage to get it into first and second.
I thought I might have forgotten my washer on my detent. So i limped home and took a look.

Took out the bolts, the spring, washer. Everything was there and everything looked fine to me. What the heck? weird. So i took out my shift linkage. (the shifter piece on the tranny). Everything looked fine. Tried shifting it on the tranny and it is very hard to push down, which would be pushing left on the shift **** to get into first and second.

So i put everything back together and tried it out. Now first gear is completely gone. non-existant. Second gear you have to push hard left and there is that "wall" like before. third and fourth slide in fine. Fifth is completely gone and feels like air and reverse is ok

So i started the car, first get still non existant. second, third, fourth, reverse work fine. Fifth is non existent and when i release my clutch it grinds.

Also note that I forgot to put the magnet back in the tranny when I put it back together.

Now what? I am absolutely stumped and I absolutely dont wan't to pull the transmission back out. Anyone?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilt transmission on civic and now can't get into gear.

Obviously you're going to have to pull the tranny and take it apart and see what's going on inside.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starblades
04 Civic LX 5spd
Now what? I am absolutely stumped and I absolutely dont wan't to pull the transmission back out. Anyone?
It's nothing that's going to be able to get fixed externally (like a slave cylinder, linkage problem, etc.) so may as well take a big bite of the **** sandwich and start to pull it apart since the problem is internal.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you rebuild it in the first place? (A lot of people I come across think that a soft rebuild will cure all....)

Along with the advice above, removal and inspection is required. Have a factory manual available when you do this... even though the damage may be evident.