Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Rebuilt Trans Not Moving In Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Trans Not Moving In Neutral

So we have a GSR trans here that we tore down and replaced syncro's and bearings on. Also installed an ITR LSD.

Put the trans back together, mounted in vehicle, goes into every gear with ease... however you put it into Neutral and you can not roll the car around at all.

We removed the trans and dismantled everything looking for something we did that was obviously wrong... we can't find it.

Looking for any insight on this issue you guys might have. This is holding up the rest of the build at this point.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt Trans Not Moving In Neutral

Found the issue, third gear syncro assembly did not rotate. It's seized with some compound, which is really strange.

Waiting for Syncrotech to open up so I can call them.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics
Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This video probably best explains it -

Syncrotech was great to deal with. They are super technical (as you would expect) so you really have to have your thinking hat on. They kind of assume you know all the technical names and terms for all the parts.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the carbon synchros? When i installed the carbon ones i initially buttoned it up and shifted it around off the car and it was binding, it took me a really long time to realize that the carbon synchro was locked up basically, i removed them and just lightly lubed them with trans fluid and reinstalled and it was good to go! Also not sure if it could be related but did you shim the lsd to spec? also play with the gears before you put it back on the car and spin the diff etc so you dont waste all that effort and time
Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SSBP-GSR
Did you get the carbon synchros? When i installed the carbon ones i initially buttoned it up and shifted it around off the car and it was binding, it took me a really long time to realize that the carbon synchro was locked up basically, i removed them and just lightly lubed them with trans fluid and reinstalled and it was good to go! Also not sure if it could be related but did you shim the lsd to spec? also play with the gears before you put it back on the car and spin the diff etc so you dont waste all that effort and time

Yes we got the carbon syncros. We use gear oil to soak everything when we put things of this nature together but this guy was just super stubborn and was really seized in there. Initially we were just afraid that tapping it out would damage it, it was in there with that kind of force, so that's why we called the company. Low and behold, the company told us to tap it out anyway.

Thankfully everything worked out and everything is rotating as it should. My uncle (our head tech essentially) is meticulous with measurements/shimming when doing things of this nature, he must've just overlooked that it locked in place when mounted. **** happens; live, learn, and never let it happen again is the motto around here.

Now we gotta get back to putting the car together so I can get moving on other stuff I have here.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man glad you figured it out. It was the same issue for me and it took me a while to figure it out. enjoy the new synchros they shift nice!