Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Rebuilding a non stock tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a non stock tranny

hi guys, so i'm left with a bad taste in my mouth after i was racing last weekend and went into 5th gear and heard a bang... i had to drive the car home in 4th gear for about an hour and a half because i was out of town, the car shifts into 1,2,3,4 just fine, and reverse, but when you put it in 5th, it slams it out very quickly, i have no fluid leak, so i assume i damaged the gear or the 5th gear synchro..
There is a little background info, maybe useful, maybe not, anyways, the tranny needed a synchro rebuild, as when i gotten it you had to baby it into the gears.. I have no background info on the tranny, but here is what i do know, its hydraulic - who cares.. and 1-4 are short gears ( i assume b16) the reason i say this is i have had gsr and ls tranny's and the gears in this one are shorter than my gsr, i don't know how a type r tranny is geared, but because i do not see LSD stamped on the case, i assume its not a type r, Though it DOES have LSD, you can see straight through the axle input hole into the diff without seeing the spider gear shaft. Though 5th gear resembles exactly 5th gear in my ls tranny.. 88 mph @4k rpms
SO blah blah blah here it is... I'm confident i can rebuild it, i have friends who can help who have already done their own in case i get into a bind, but because i wanna order a "rebuild kit" and synchro's, possibly the 5th gear and counter gear? Will a synchro kit for any b series transmission work? Or, are there different synchro's for each different gear ratio? if so i don't want to order a b16 kit and be shorted on my 5th gear, because it didn't belong in the transmission.. Also if needed i still have my old ls tranny, it won't shift into 3rd or 4th, and i can possible rob 5th out of it i guess? who knows.. thats why i'm here asking you guys what you think!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rebuilding a non stock tranny

1/2 sleeve and synchro sets will need to be for a hydro b-series vtec transmission (dual cone 2nd). 3/4 sleeve set and synchros need to also be for a hydro b series vtec. you can use the 5/R sleeve set and synchros from a non vtec or vtec b series transmission.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding a non stock tranny

ok, i have seen them sold as synchro sets 1-2, and 3-5, i def need the synchro's, hopefully can rob 5th out of my old tranny in the case i damaged it somehow, i think 5th took a crap because 1-4 are a matched set and kept the moment going clean until i got to 5th, a long gear not matched to the rest and when it bogged it took more than it could handle. yea once i fix this i'm not racing anymore.. i've learned my lesson.. 4 tranny's in 3 years no fun! first shifter fork, second 3-4 went out, this is the third, and now i have to rebuild it, almost worth it to fork up 1800 for a new ITR tranny...