Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

NEED experienced professional 4th gen knowhow!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 NEED experienced professional 4th gen knowhow!

Need Honda professional advice and know how. There are threads on this already that are not complete and scattered.

Problem: HARD VIBRATION UNDER LOAD
make: 1992 Honda prelude H22A swap 230xxx mi on car/trans
With 70xxx on motor
• ground control lowering suspension

- noticed a couple months back a heavy vibration when driving at 60 mph, just cruising on highway then BAM! Gnarly, shook the whole front. No jerking in the steering wheel, just up and down vibration from what ever is shaking.
Put the clutch in, vibration gone, clutch back in, it was there. Then I down shifted to fourth. Punched the gas and vibrated like a ****. Went to third, still vibrated until I got to 80 and threw it back in fifth, gone until I hit a hill, back under load vibration extremum.
- like I'm sayin I was cruising for good gas mileage. But there is something about the horsepower and torque being stressed at that low rpm that set it off.
What's weird is it not extreme all the time, it has its days.
BUT I WILL SAY THIS-it would vibrate lightly when punching it off the line at the light. then over time(month) progressively got worse. Some gears worse than others- BUT AGAIN, it would have its days where it wouldn't,
CHANGED:
• all new tires - Yokohama S-drive(these are what was on the car when I bought it)
• changed out left half shaft: had play when suspended at the cv where it meets the intermediate shaft:

- drove the car and vibration reduced dramatically. Almost ****, except I could feel my two somewhat out of shape rims(these are not the problem). I was stoked.
Then two-three weeks goes by, coming up gnarly hill, starts doing it again.

•Now I know the drive tire axle I have not changed but I have the replacement.
•AND- don't know if this matters but my sway bar bracket in the back driver side broke off(kept comin loose, then popped threads, then sheared) so I welded it back in place perfect.
then I took a trip from the foothills to city and on the way back is when it started.!!

- Been told its:
the differential
The other axle
Intermediate shaft
Motor mount
Missfire
Tires/rims
Wheel bearings
Bad suspension/bushings
Alignment

My hope is to get a cure for my problem, a lot of people are having the same issue, after a bunch of money dumped trying to find it.
I know someone else has had to of run into this.