Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

ls tranny in eg problem...urgent

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls tranny in eg problem...urgent

I am in the process of maybe purchasing a 94 hatch with an ls motor and tranny, on the test drive i noticed the tranny was def very weird and there was some sort of problem

ill try my best to explain it, each gear is hard to get into, no griding or forcing into each gear that hard, but its just tough, and when you pull the actual shifter out of gear, every car i had kind of just returns to neutral like right in the middle, well the shifter pretty much will sit in any position its pushed to, like in neutral if i push it all the way to one side, instead of returning to the middle position, it will just rest there, i noticed to put it in gears 1,3, and 5 youd have to push it forward id say a good amount of travel, but in 2nd and 4th and reverse, it wasnt too much i had to pull down on the shifter and it was in gear, moving it side to side was fairly easy, and up and down was the tougher part, most the time it felt as if the shifter wasnt even connected to anything, like it was a shift ****, and shifter with a shift boot thrown down into the console

i drove the car about 15 minutes, the seller was on lunch break, a couple of times it wouldnt go into 4th, so i had to release the clutch and push it in again to get it in 4th

he said he thinks its the shifter bushing, but didnt mess with fixing it because he drives the car 5 minutes to work, this is something i would tell the guy to fix before hes selling, but hes about to make a move to another country

the cars clean and is very cheap and im trying to hop on it, i know this is thetranny section, and ive been typing on, but its the potential transmission problem thats going to make my decision

could this possibly be the shift linkage as well? i know my description probably isnt the best and it can also be a number of different things too, im just trying to see if its anything shifter bushing, linkage, anything related to those lines, if this is a problem that shouldnt be a big concern and also can be easily fixed

the tranny never grinded, when it was in gear it was fine, the clutch pedal felt fine

thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ls tranny in eg problem...urgent

Sounds like the wrong shift linkage and the shifter busings might be bad also. Or in worst case senaro the tranny or clutch is blown.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: ls tranny in eg problem...urgent

Check CMC and CSC.

Check clutch.

Check linkage.

Check shifter.

If those are good, its an internal trans problem.