Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Easy to replace a Pressure Control Solenoid?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy to replace a Pressure Control Solenoid?

I've got a 2004 TL with about 140,000mi. About 10,000 mi on a "new" rebuilt tranny from H&A Transmissions in Fontana, CA. This is one of the companies that American Honda uses to supply it's dealers with tranny's.

I do know that one of the solenoids was replaced immediately after the install when I had shifting problems. I don't know which solenoid it was.

Yesterday, while on the freeway, it started shifting funny. With slight increase in throttle it would abruptly downshift into either second or third. Over the next ten miles this would happen more frequently. A couple of times I know it shifted into 2nd at about 60mph since the wheels locked.

Each shift was with partial increase in throttle, and each shift lasted only about a 1/4 second.

Got off the freeway, and checked the tranny fluid level. With my color deficiency, it's hard to tell, but it appeared to be low. Color was red, and no burt smell, but I didn't hold it to my nose.

Added about a half quart, at least I figured that's about what got in there with my bad aim (there's got to be a way to add fluid a little easier).

Drove on surface streets for about 10 miles, noticed it may have free revved a little, chose a few wrong gears, and finally got stuck in 2nd. Switching to manual didn't make a difference. The tranny light on the dash then started blinking.

Parked the car at the wedding we went to for a couple hrs. When driving the next 50 miles, the shifting wasn't quite right, but not real abrupt downshifts like before, and wasn't stuck in 2nd.

Parked the car another couple hrs, and on the next 40 mile drive home, it shifted normal, and the tranny light stopped blinking.

Got home, pulled the codes, and I had a:

P0957 Auto Shift Manual Mode Circuit Low

P0747 Pressure Control Solenoid "A" Stuck On

So, is it easy for a backyard mechanic to replace? About how long? And is it the likely source of my symptoms?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by davidc; 10-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Easy to replace a Pressure Control Solenoid?

They're easy enough to replace, depending on which one it is they can be akward to get at, but theres really nothing to replacing them. They are rarely the cause of the issue though, normally the tranny is bad.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello...H&A Transmissions is our sister company. I was working with our tech department this morning and have a solution. Give me a call at the shop and I will go over some steps with you.

909-476-7252 - James
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted everybody to know that James and Rory and the guys at H&A came through for me and replaced my tranny as a goodwill gesture. It was a month or two out of warranty.

This company is great. I've only heard great things about them, and obviously, if American Honda uses them to rebuild their tranny's they have to be good.

The Gearspeed end of the business is their newer part of the company offering performance parts and full tranny's for auto and manual cars. Give them a look. They sell quality stuff.

http://www.gearspeedpartsstore.com/

Again, thanks very much to James and Rory and everyone else there.