Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

DC2R clutch feels weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC2R clutch feels weird

Recently my DC2R's clutch has started to feel weird. The gears have always been smooth and don't crunch, but the clutch pedal has started to feel different, the pedal had to be completely down to the floor or it would grind / not engage gears. It did not used to do this, it felt like the pedal had to be in a awkward position to change the gears.
The car drove fine besides for the clutch feeling weird and having some freeplay.

No signs of revs raising / dropping.
No signs of power loss.
No signs of leaks around the master and slave cylinder.

Being able to adapt to different clutches easily, I was able to drive to a mechanic and get a quick check.
After the mechanic test drove it, they believed it drove absolutely fine, and were puzzled as to what could be the cause of the pedal feeling really weird and having freeplay.

I was told the fingers on the pressure plate may be worn or something caused by the release bearing, can't remember.
I asked if it could be something simple as the slave / master cylinder, and I was then recommended to replace my clutch slave cylinder in hope it would resolve my clutch problem.
The master cylinder looked relatively new so I was told there's no real point replacing that, but if I did want to I should try the slave first.

Few days later the clutch started to feel even more weird. More free play, and now the only way not to stall, is to have the clutch fully down, and then once in gear lift up the slightest. Like the car will start rolling forward if you VERY slightly release the clutch, it did not used to do this.

I bought and chucked in a new clutch slave cylinder, however I did not grease the joint inside and the rod connecting to it off the gearbox.

Had a mate help me bleed the clutch, but still no luck, felt pretty much exactly the same as the original slave cylinder.

When I engage the clutch and release it, the clutch pedal only springs back half way up, at this point the freeplay starts and I have to pull the rest of it back up using my hand, or kick it up from the bottom of the clutch pedal.

A loud squeaky noise comes when I engage and disengage the clutch.
Can't remember if it did it before this clutch problem, I remember it doing it when I first bought the car but pretty sure it stopped for a while.

I don't believe the slave is at fault, I will however grease it up and hopefully it at least fixes the squeaking noise.

Please any suggestions? Really need my car running again ASAP!

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: DC2R clutch feels weird

Chances are either there's a leak in the clutch line somewhere or the master cylinder is bad. I'd lean more towards bad master cylinder. Look under the dash, look for signs of fluid around the pushrod or running down the inside of the firewall. I have seen them go bad with no obvious leaks before as well.