Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

CV Joint, Axle, or Wheel Bearing Problem?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint, Axle, Tie Rod, or Wheel Bearing Problem?

I have a tin can rattle sound coming from my front driver side during low speeds and dies down at speeds above 50. The rattle usually occurs while accelerating during low speeds, but disappears when the car is put on neutral, but can still occur on neutral when driving over a bumpy road. I have checked the cv boot and there is no tears or leaks, but I have noticed the axle is kind of loose when i try to shake it. Also when the car is off and I turn my wheel there is a clunking sound like my cv joint is bad.

My question is can the axle or cv joint be the source of this tin can sound during low speeds during acceleration, but goes away on neutral at the same speed or is it more related to my wheel bearing or tie rod?

I have been trying to pin point this rattle for a while and its been driving me crazy. If it helps I have changed my upper control arm because it had play and changed my suspension in order to fix this rattle, but had no luck.

Here is a video of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOX7YvABRQ

Last edited by Taimaishuuyo; 07-11-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Joint, Axle, or Wheel Bearing Problem?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An axle that is worn or has excessive play is going to more than likely make noise. I would also check your tie rod ends for wear since you are there already. Its easy and cheap to swap an axle out so if you feel the axle has play..swap it out. While you have the axle out..check the differential in the trans for any play to make sure that is also not a source of noise. You can wiggle the differential with your fingers or axle stub to see if there is any play.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James@Gearspeed
An axle that is worn or has excessive play is going to more than likely make noise. I would also check your tie rod ends for wear since you are there already. Its easy and cheap to swap an axle out so if you feel the axle has play..swap it out. While you have the axle out..check the differential in the trans for any play to make sure that is also not a source of noise. You can wiggle the differential with your fingers or axle stub to see if there is any play.
Thanks that is a bunch of help, but what i don't understand is. Should the axle have been making a clicking sound from the transmission while i was turning it. The car was in neutral, but it sounded as if the little clip that locked the axle was popping.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the vehicle is on the ground you shouldn't have any play...you may have very minimal play when the vehicle is on a jack depending on suspension droop.