Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Car can not go into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car can not go into 2nd gear

Hi . My accord 2000 does not go into 2nd gear . Sometimes skips 2nd and go to 3rd . Had the transmission rebuilt but the problem persisted . The transmission was rebuilt a second time , this time the valvebody was serviced . Same problem
Selenoids were tested with current and clicked . They were also cleaned . No engine check light .
Fluid replaced with each rebuild . Any suggestions .? Really need some help
Old 02-26-2017, 03:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Car can not go into 2nd gear

Originally Posted by accordjunky007
Hi . My accord 2000 does not go into 2nd gear . Sometimes skips 2nd and go to 3rd . Had the transmission rebuilt but the problem persisted . The transmission was rebuilt a second time , this time the valvebody was serviced . Same problem
Selenoids were tested with current and clicked . They were also cleaned . No engine check light .
Fluid replaced with each rebuild . Any suggestions .? Really need some help
Same TCM? Would try swapping it out with another then see if that makes a difference. If no difference then the fault is internal to the transmission and would then suggest getting it rebuilt some place else.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m90polk1
Same TCM? Would try swapping it out with another then see if that makes a difference. If no difference then the fault is internal to the transmission and would then suggest getting it rebuilt some place else.

Thanks for the reply . Is there a way to test the tcm to see if it is working ? Would a faulty TCM give codes ?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks for the reply . Is there a way to test the tcm to see if it is working ? Would a faulty TCM give codes ?
Ideally it would give you codes but may not and just cause shifting issues. I've seen them have faults internally to the pcb and not throw codes but cause running issues.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m90polk1
Ideally it would give you codes but may not and just cause shifting issues. I've seen them have faults internally to the pcb and not throw codes but cause running issues.
hi just an update . The technician rebuilt the tranny a 3rd time . This time did pressure test . Apparently a seal was the problem so 2nd gear worked . However there is a delay when going into gears and also a ticking noise when changing gears . Trust me i would change technicians in a heart beat but most tecs are reluctant to work on honda tranny so i am stuck with him . I am from trinidad . Any advise you can give me to give him .
Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi just an update . The technician rebuilt the tranny a 3rd time . This time did pressure test . Apparently a seal was the problem so 2nd gear worked . However there is a delay when going into gears and also a ticking noise when changing gears . Trust me i would change technicians in a heart beat but most tecs are reluctant to work on honda tranny so i am stuck with him . I am from trinidad . Any advise you can give me to give him .
Also these new problems were not present before . Only the 2nd gear problem