Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Burnout noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnout noise

So I have a 2000 Ek hatch, b18b1, GSR trans. It has a stage 3 clutch that the owner says is new, When i try to start moving in first it makes a screeching noise when the car starts moving it sounds kind of like a car peeling out quickly or burning out. My car doesnt actually burnout, I know stage 3 clutches are super hard but even if i slightly feather the gas pedal and take off as slowly as possible it still makes that noise not as loud but you can hear it. When i start moving in first at a normal speed its alot louder. Its only in 1st gear and on initial take off, it doesnt do it at higher rpms in 1st or other gears just on the first gear take off. It sometimes jerks alot when i get the car moving in first after it makes the noise and i also noticed if im just slowing down with my car in 1st or second it jerks alot, its not trying to stall out cause the car is at a reasonable speed and rpm to not have to stall out. I also had a problem with my master cylinder recently and i did everything correctly on the install and the clutch engagement point is at the tippy top of the petal right under the pedal play. Its annoying when people stare at you. My friend said its a bad clutch a mechanic said its my pressure plate probably cracked, and another said its either my pilot bearing or my throwout bearing. I tried searching everywhere and nothing comes up with my problem. Any help is extremely appreciated
Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Burnout noise

Since your car is a hodge-podge of parts, it would not really be possible to provide any reliable information on here without witnessing the problem.

A clutch problem could be likely, as could an internal 1st gear transmission problem based on your complaint. A clutch material screeching problem is quite possible. A stage 3 clutch in a vehicle that can't produce 200ft/lbs of torque is way overkill.

You should start by verifying the clutch hydraulic parts are correct, and that they are installed correctly. Bleed testing a clutch is easy with a second set of eyes or a camera on the pivot point.

Like any used vehicle, don't believe anything blindly, verify what is or is not installed on your vehicle. You may end up removing the transmission to find the root of the problem anyways. You may also find that the transmission is an LS instead of a GSR. This is far more common than you think. In days past, ordering a GSR or Type-R meant ordering an LS: Much easier to find, and the average DIY guy can't tell the difference, LSD or not.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Burnout noise

I was just driving back home now and i actually just noticed a couple of more things. It does the same sound in reverse and today when i was trying to get up to speed on the highway i shifted quickly from second to third and it jolted and made the same noise. Also right now at the red light I put my foot on the clutch and i tried to inch forward a bit and right before the clutch grabs you feel a slight thud coming from the front, Its not like a loud thud for everyone to hear but its pretty faint but its enough for me to finally notice it and feel it on the pedals as well. And yeah i kept thinking why would someone put a stage 3 on a LS motor thats way too much but im planning on changing it soon. And as far as the transmission its definately a gsr. But all in all i doubt its a transmission problem, Cause like i said i just now noticed it does the same noise in reverse and slightly when you switch gears quicker then usual.