Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

B/H gear interchangeability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B/H gear interchangeability?

Are 3rd and 4th main and countershaft gears interchangeable between the B and H/F manual transmissions? Any other gears interchangeable?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: B/H gear interchangeability?

No, they will not. I am not aware of any parts that are interchangeable between the "B" and "H" series transmissions.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that an ls 5th has been installed into an h/f with a shift fork mod
Old 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forcfedcivic
I know that an ls 5th has been installed into an h/f with a shift fork mod
I am curious why anyone would do that? the gearing difference would not offer much and in fact in some cases increase freeway rpm, especially in F series. In an h series it is about the same as ls 5th into a gsr trans, which is not as common as ls 5th into a b16 trans.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ls 5th is .714 h/f range from .787 to .870
Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3rd gear set between the two is the same part number .
Old 12-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe b
The 3rd gear set between the two is the same part number .
I noticed MFactory has an application for B/F/H 3rd gears.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes. 3/4 gears are interchangeable without modification.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For me (and my crv) I'm really just looking to do the lsd mod for it, and change 5th to drop the highway rpm's down out of the 3500-4000 range so I thing the ls 5th will about get me there
Old 12-04-2015, 09:26 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The LS 5th works fine, but to do it correctly it is just a lot more work than most realize. I was told it couldn't be done by Synchrotech, but it's been in my SBXM trans for years now.

Even though this is VERY off topic for this thread: Be careful who you use for the CRV LSD mod, you would be suprised what kind of quality is out there. Honda discontinued a bunch of shims, so that can be a major issue as well. The handful of LSDs I put in SBXM transmissions weren't drop in shim jobs. Also due to the aftermarket design I had to make a custom tool to set preload properly, the OEM tool doesn't work. Lots of custom stuff nooooobody talks about. (Usually because they don't have a clue, just regurgitate info or guess.)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
The LS 5th works fine, but to do it correctly it is just a lot more work than most realize. I was told it couldn't be done by Synchrotech, but it's been in my SBXM trans for years now.

Even though this is VERY off topic for this thread: Be careful who you use for the CRV LSD mod, you would be suprised what kind of quality is out there. Honda discontinued a bunch of shims, so that can be a major issue as well. The handful of LSDs I put in SBXM transmissions weren't drop in shim jobs. Also due to the aftermarket design I had to make a custom tool to set preload properly, the OEM tool doesn't work. Lots of custom stuff nooooobody talks about. (Usually because they don't have a clue, just regurgitate info or guess.)

I know better than to say "it couldn't be done" because there are some very creative mods that I have seen but never even imagined could be possible.

The Integra LS 5th gears are not a direct fit since the SBXM 5th gears are more like the H22 with smaller 5th and reverse synchros, sleeve, hub, reverse cone and fork diameter. Normally we use the Accord 5th gears for a longer ratio and machine the countershaft gear height since these are a better choice with the other parts not needing to be modified.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

This was probably a couple years ago... The lady on the phone "checked" for me... was on hold for probably 20 minutes. Definitely was told "NO". But thanks for explaining.

So let me ask this then, then why did you guys proceed to try and sell me an OEM LS 5th and such if a modified H22 would work better when I thoroughly explained I was working on a SBXM transmission and trying to get a lower 5th? Is it the same reason why multiple bearings were the wrong ones in a master rebuild kit I purchased? You guys just weren't certain at the time on the SBXM trans? (Can gladly provide order number upon request.)

Actually, the gears ARE a direct fit, unless I am misinterpreting what you are talking about. You use *almost* the entire LS assembly the only problem is the sleeve. This requires a fork modification in both width and height. If you so desire, I have all measurements of differences and side by side pictures between the SBXM 5th and LS 5th. I intended to do a write-up, but like most things CRV related, people just aren't that interested.

I am not trying to attack you, I just get pissed off when I actually call or deal with people I respect and get steered in the wrong direction. It sounds like I could have saved some serious time and money by going with H22 parts. I am rather **** about things, and a lot of time was spent checking the LS 5th. I had limited availability and wasn't about to start buying all kinds of random 5th gears when I had a spare LS 5th sitting there, hence why I called originally.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like it was before we figured out the Accord mod back when you did your build. Post some pics on the mod you did to fit the LS gears. I'd love to see how you did it. 👍
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My only issue was the accord 5th ratio is still higher that the ls 5th, thusly my interest there. Final drives are also out of the question, unless someone has started Making them for the wagon (shuttle) rear.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Why? The shuttle rear is still off from the CRV trans anyways forcing the viscous coupler to eat the rotational differences. This leads to premature failure of the coupler clutch packs and requires more frequent rebuilds. This has been documented in a few build threads, but I have yet to see someone blow a CRV rear diff (with picture proof). This is starting to get waaay off topic now.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why you compensate for the differences in ratios in tire diameter front to rear that's how a friend did his with his wagon conversion. But yes....back to the topic. Ls 5th fits with mods/ h/f gearsets for the most part interchange....
Old 12-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my buddy's v....he's done alot of custom work here, most of which is/has been done before, but he's made it work, correctly. There's also a fellow in some of the sub comments that has blown his crv rear.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/747082...46529108702247
Old 12-04-2015, 04:21 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Sounds like it was before we figured out the Accord mod back when you did your build. Post some pics on the mod you did to fit the LS gears. I'd love to see how you did it. ��
Oh, OK. I understand.

Here you go, enjoy!

PS - forcfedcivic - It's not an exact science, and doesn't work out perfectly when you use different tires, but OK.
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great job with the LS 5th swap! By direct fit I meant a part that can be installed without other parts needing to be replaced or modification required. If the 0.685 1994-2002 Accord 5th gears are used it only requires the countershaft gear to be machined to match the height and then can be installed without changing anything other than the 2 gears. With the LS gears the 5th and reverse Synchros, sleeve, hub and reverse cone must also be changed along with the gears. The only problem with the Accord gears is that Honda has now discontinued the countershaft 5th gear so it's a good thing there are other options.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Thanks! I am sure you can see quite a bit of material had to be both removed and added. There is no way to do it right without welding on the fork; that's not my opinion but rather a fact.

The 0.685 gear might be too much honestly. The 0.714 gearing is probably as far as I would want to go. It is right on the edge of being too much when you are easy shifting from 4th to 5th. It could be personal preference of course, but the 5th to 4th feels like a 4th to 3rd or maybe even a 3rd to 2nd drop depending on where you are at in the RPM range. Then again, I guess it all depends on what you are going for.

All this of course, assumes you have the SBXM ratios. Different H/F series transmissions have different 1st (among others) and final drives. The SBXM is physically limited going up in final drive (number) due to case design.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want to say thanks one bad for all the collective info you have regarding the sbxm trans! I've been trying to source an extra for teardown, mockup of all the mods you've done. As well as others. I know somewhere someone once posted they were able to get the differential specs (dimensional)for the oem h22, as well as the mfactory lsd. Do you have that info, or know where one could source it? I emailed syncrotech, and am awaiting a response.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:06 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

You are welcome. If you search, I have provided quite a bit over time. As far as the specs go, it looks like the USA website is down... but here you go:

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/honda-acco...d-differential

Click on the technical specs. What are you wanting them for? To put an LSD in the SBXM? I have done a handful of them myself, although I can't recommend many people that can do them correctly so be careful.

As I have stated multiple times before, it isn't a direct swap. Machining and custom parts are definitely required.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice, and again thank you. Yes I would like to put an lsd in my sbxm. I have found a spare trans to do all the mock up, and have subscribed to several threads in regards to the topic. I need to get through Christmas and all, but hope to be tackling it in the near future.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

I used the '95 Accord DX 5th gear in my 2000 Prelude transmission... and as Synchrotech stated above, I only had to modify the countershaft gear. If I remember correctly, the overall height of the gear is .180" taller than the original H22 gear, so I took .090" off each side and voila' !!! With an indicated 80 mph on my speedo, my tach shows 3100 RPM. Application is a 1995 Civic DX coupe with an otherwise stock 2000 H22A4 transmission and 16" wheels with P205/45R16 tires.

Joe B and Aquafina - what specific applications were a direct parts match for 3rd and 4th gears between a B, F, and H series transmissions ??? I looked briefly and couldn't find matching part numbers between models.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:56 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Awesome