Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

88 Honda Accord, clutch or transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Honda Accord, clutch or transmission

I have a 88 honda accord with manual transmission i bought about 1 month ago. I was told the clutch had just been replaced, and knew it had other issues as well. Since i bought it the gears felt a little strange but thought maybe it was just breaking in the "new" clutch. Third gear was the worst, didnt like to go in third gear if I was downshifting, and would sometimes jump out of gear. The rest of the gears were fine 99% of the time, but sometimes it was hard to get in first gear too. When the car was idling i could hear what i would describe as a slight rattling coming from the transmission, but if i pushed the clutch down it would stop. After driving the car for about 2-3 weeks, daily and in city it started getting harder to shift, and the rattling started getting louder, so i tried adjusting the clutch, thinking it just need adjustment after breaking it in. Couldnt get it quite right, and still had difficulty with third gear.
Went to the store one night, and when i was pulling out of parking lot, the car started to feel strange. It almost felt like a flat tire or a bad shock on the front, and the car didnt want to go. I got the car moving but it was kind of shakey. I pulled out of the parking lot, shifted into second gear and after about half a block the car shook violently and just stopped hard in the middle of the road. It made a sound too like the transmission had dropped. Got it back into first and car didnt want to move, so put it back in neutral and pushed it off the road. Started it in first gave it gas and let out the clutch, car wouldnt move and engine would stall out. Then car was stuck in first and couldnt shift at all. A friend was able to get shifter into neutral and we pushed it to her house, but she had to keep the clutch down all the way, if she released the clutch engine would stall. The car is still at her house.
Engine starts and runs fine, but it wont drive at all and it wont shift. I dont know whats wrong. I have been told could be a few things: clutch plate and throw out bearing, shift linkage, needs new transmission, and was told car is stuck in 2 gears that a pin could be bad. Need help please
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 88 Honda Accord, clutch or transmission

The cars been parked for a week now, and I was able to shift between gears with the car off, but pushed it a few feet now wont shift right again. When trying to shift can hear loud clicking in transmission on top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull the transmission. It sounds like a bearing flew apart in the transmission, that said check the clutch anyway while you have the transmission off, if it's not the clutch (and I'm about 99% sure it isn't) pull the transmission apart and see what happened.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the tranny went. Like said take it apart your clutch will most likely be fine if it is look for a new transmission.