Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

2006 Honda CR-V Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Honda CR-V Clutch Chatter

I picked up a 2006 Honda CR-V 5 speed manual yesterday, and it clearly has what feels like a clutch chatter issue. Can anyone help me properly diagnose this? I'd like to try and avoid blindly throwing parts at this.

Here's what I know - I've only had the car for 1 day now:
The car test drove fine, clutch pedal engagement was high like most stock honda's, but engagement was smooth. Gear shifts are smooth. I don't see how I could have missed this during my test drive. Which makes me think the dealer did this when they took the car for a few hours to detail it. Immediately after driving off the lot the clutch started to chatter. I'm wondering if they sabotaged the car or something... A few squirts of oil down the clutch case breather tube and send this guy on his merry way? It's got no warranty of course.

The car has no service records, but looks like it was maintained. I did notice the transmission was remanufactured (spray painted, marked, and different VIN). But I doubt that's the issue...

There are no leaks or signs of oil around the transmission side of the motor. There's no oil coming out of the clutch case. Which is to say I don't see any evidence of oil contamination anywhere on or in the clutch housing.

The chatter seems better on a cold motor. As the motor warms up it gets worse. I don't know if this is expected, but when the chatter starts I feel/hear the rear diff complain as well. Sounds like the rear passenger side tire is getting hammered.

Engine mounts:
They all appear to be intact - no rips or cracks that I can see. How much travel is expected for the motor in the engine bay? I can get 1/8" travel rocking the transmission with my hand. I had my wife engage 1st gear with the hood up to see if the motor was rocking around, and it was a little, more so on the transmission side, but it wasn't knocking around like a mount had failed.

I'm leaning toward pressure plate failure based on what I see and feel. Has anyone shared this experience with me? Or any ideas?

Here's a video of the chatter:
Clutch Chatter
Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Honda CR-V Clutch Chatter

Looking at the cost of parts and what I paid for the car I've decided to go all out and replace all the typical root causes of this issue. Flywheel, clutch, mounts. Time to get dirty...