Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

fuel is shutting off early.....please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel is shutting off early.....please help

Im new on this but i just sighned up to ask this one question. I just purchased a 1997 honda prelude base model sportshift. A new timing belt, water pump, and and fuel regulator was just installed, For some reason my fuel shuts off at 6800 rpms and redline begins at 7500. Its the h22 2.2 dohc vtec, and i thought fuel doest cut off untill 8000 rpms. Does anynbody know why this is happening. and my check engine light also just came on. i dont know **** about cars but is it anything to do with the fuel regulator maybe it needs to be set or something or maybe there is a governor in the car. if somebody could help id appreciate it so much. thanks Vinny

Old 04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
eg5
Honda-Tech Member

try to check ur Fuel pump , fuel filter and injectors..
also check ur spark plugs , spark plugs wires
Old 04-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fuel is shutting off early.....please help (Vinny97lude)

Jump the ecu and get the code causing the CEL. Thats always a good place to start
Old 04-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: fuel is shutting off early.....please help (turboxsi)

thanks i appreciate it....i tried the paperclip trick to check for any codes and 22 came up which is the vtec oil pressure switch but i called a mechanic and said that there could be many more codes but they wont show till that one is fixed first. He said that they have to hook it up to the machine. And i dont think that would cause these probs. I just bought the car and the guy says that he just rplaced the fuel regulator water pump and timing belt could these possibly have anything to do with these probs also my idle is a little weird. like when i first start it its a little high(1800rpms) then as it warms drops to 1000 like its normal then if i rev a lil itll go up then fall real low like almost zero and will wanna almost stall but it wont go back to 1000 itll stay real low. Well thanks anybody that replies. im just gettin real paranoid and buggin out but im sure all yall understand what its like to work your *** for a car and then blow all your money on it and then have little problems
Old 04-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel is shutting off early.....please help (Vinny97lude)

if there are more codes it will show them all, one after another. don't listen to that guy. you should be able to rent a diagnostic reader from autozone and double check the codes, then troubleshoot from there. even if you can't fix it, you can go to a mechanic and tell them what you know to be wrong.

pick up a manual (helms) for your car if you can.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome to H-T. When does VTEC engage on that motor. Certain conditions will not allow the car to go into vtec and reduce the rev limiter, such as low vtec oil pressure. The car does have enough oil right. Ruthless013 is right, the codes will show one after another. Use the search function to search for similar problems. Even better, go to icelord.net and get a manual for that car. It has flow diagrams for step by step troubleshooting engine codes. They are like 35mb, 700 page pdf files. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (Cyphear)

Hey thanks so much guys......i think i know where to start now.....i do think it is something with the oil pressure......thanks again