Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head?????

topic saids it all....
Old 12-31-2002, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (hotintegranights)

It's like when you put a piece of wood on a flat surface and 3 corners are flat, but one corner is raised.

You check your head by using a straight edge.
Check it diagonally, then along each side, from the combustion chamber side of the head.

[Modified by ryanstev, 2:39 AM 1/1/2003]
Old 12-31-2002, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (hotintegranights)

Ever seen a warped piece of wood that's been sitting in the rain? It starts to bend..

Ever heated up a small piece of metal with a really hot torch? It bends..

Pull up a dictionary or check it out on the net..

To know for SURE if you have a warped head and you can't visually notice, you'll need a straight edge or other devices..
Old 12-31-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (Nameless)

Another good way to know without taking off the head is by a simple compression test, although if you have a bad compression in one or more cylinders, it doesn't necessarily mean the head is warped, could be anything else. But if the compression is nice everywhere, you probably don't have a warped head.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:24 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (sauceman77)

also the 3 main ways you will warp a head is if you 1) overheat really bad, 2) blow the head gasket, or 3) remove the head without using the proper head bolt loosening sequence. these will almost always warp the head.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (22lbGS-R)

hey guys thankz alot for the repleys now i know def dont wanna warp my head, im removing my head so
whatz the proper head bolt loosening sequence?
Old 01-01-2003, 11:53 AM
In The Garage

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (b19coupe)

actually its:
1 5 9 7 3
4 8 10 6 2, and first you only loosen em up a little (to ~25 ft/lbs) and you tighten in the opposite way

[Modified by 22lbGS-R, 8:54 PM 1/1/2003]

[Modified by 22lbGS-R, 8:55 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:36 PM
New User

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (22lbGS-R)

actually its:
1 5 9 7 3
4 8 10 6 2, and first you only loosen em up a little (to ~25 ft/lbs) and you tighten in the opposite way

[Modified by 22lbGS-R, 8:54 PM 1/1/2003]

[Modified by 22lbGS-R, 8:55 PM 1/1/2003]
So is it done diaganolly? 1 then 2 then 3 then 4...etc??
Old 01-01-2003, 07:06 PM
In The Garage

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (SuperMan19)

yeah you basically criss-cross diagonally until you reach the center. go get a haynes manual at auto zone. it says in there how to do it. there are also a complete list of torque specs. very helpful.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:23 PM

One person was right, topic says it all, however, do not remove the head unless it is at room temperature. To check for "warp" in the head, get a certified STRAIGHT edge and go across corner to corner and the in length at 3 places and check with a GOOD feeler gauge to check the low/ high spots along the head. I can't remember the actual spec. but I think it around .003" maximum, if it is over that, deck the head (increases compression a bit when you do that). You should either purchase an official honda shop manual, I use the CHILTON. The Haynes is absolute crap. If you do not feel comfortable check the head, bring it to a BOOD/REPUTABLE/TRUSTED machine shop. If they say it out of spec. ask by how much.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (sleeepycivic)

this was real helpful thankz guys ... i know this might be a big favor but can anyone post a pic of that page on the helms manual or any other manual so i can take it with me while i take of the head. i dont have the money to pay a mechanic and i really need to fix my car so i can start working again. sorry for all the questions
Old 01-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-03-2003, 04:21 PM

Unless you are truly mechanically inclined, you can **** up alot of things the manual would never tell you, like, clean the head bolt bore thoroughly before reinstalling the head, if you don't, you'll hydro-lock the bolts, cause improper clamping forces on that head and possibly cause it to "warp".

You may not have the coin, but by your question, you may not have the experience. Do your self a favour, WATCH it being done, find the cash, you don't want to have more down time by doing it again!!!

Honda/Acura techs are REALLY good, So am I, but I'm too far away from you!!!

Sorry, I know the truth is painful sometimes, but experience is everything!!!!

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does warp mean and how do you know if you warped your head????? (sleeepycivic)

hey thankz for the advise i only needed to remove the head and i did it already,im not gonna put it back on myself i def dont have enough experience for that.if anyone needs help i found this link today that helped me removed the entire head with no problems.http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/techb16aheadrem.htm
thankz for the help tech guys
Old 01-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To check for "warp" in the head, get a certified STRAIGHT edge and go across corner to corner and the in length at 3 places and check with a GOOD feeler gauge to check the low/ high spots along the head. I can't remember the actual spec. but I think it around .003" maximum
u are right, but you must first carefully clean and remove any material from the surface of the head. the same process that is done to the head should be done to the block to insure it to is not warped as well.

good luck