Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tach, speedo, and odo out after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach, speedo, and odo out after engine replacement

Hey guys I picked up a 2005 Honda Civic manual transmission. The engine was blown so I found an engine from an automatic car, had the harness from the existing manual, swapped it over and had to replace the manual tranny too. New clutch and timing belt, whole nine. Car runs awesome! BUT!! The tach, speedo, and odo are inoperable as in they do not have any life at all. The engine lights come on and blink as they should. The engine and tranny were right for the year, everything is great except this. The 7.5A fuse under the cluster is not blown. Seems like I am not getting power somehow?? They worked when I got the car. Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks so much guys!!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach, speedo, and odo out after engine replacement

Changed out the trans sensor, VSS, and still nothing. Any ideas? Power to the cd player, lights, etc. but no speedo/tach/odo. CEL does come on though.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scan it for codes. See if that will point you to the cause. Could be a blown fuse.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know if the instrument cluster actually worked before you replaced engine?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it worked, but no CELs and no blown fuses that I know of. Car is still not being driven due to odo/spedo issue. I did find out that my car is a Canadian made car, and my engine/trans i replace it with may be US made. Any idea if that means anything? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by wesmac
had the harness from the existing manual, swapped it over and had to replace the manual tranny too.
I am guessing you are talking about the engine harness?

Do you still have the blown motor?

The speedo and tach get their information from the distributor as far as I know so your issue is quite likely in this area as it is what was tampered with (engine harness, motor, distributor).

I know on previous generations civics, depending on the model some wires ran slightly different i.e. map sensor wires.

If you can, compare all the plugs of the automatic engine harness for wire color and positions in which plug etc, to the manual harness.

I am willing to bet you might need to repin a plug or two to get everything dialed.

And if I had to take a blind guess, I am going to guess it's with the distributor plugs that differ between the two motors.