Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Walbro 255 primed but not pushing fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro 255 primed but not pushing fuel.

Well I installed a Walbro255 today in my 90 Integra, and the end result wasn't as I suspected. I cut my stock wires on my pump housing, black for ground, and blue for power. Attached the red Walbro wire to the blue, and the black to the black.

My friend did something he probably shouldn't have done, but he turned the key to hear it prime BEFORE the rear of the car was on the ground, not sure if that damaged the unit though, starting it with no fuel. Well basically I put it back on the ground, had a bit less than 1/2 tank, and the pump would prime as the main relay made it, and it would stop, everything just like normal.

Tried to start it and nothing, primed, primed, primed forever, and no fuel ever came through the fuel filter bleeder screw (took it out), so I dropped the tank, and loosened the banjo bolt that goes to the top of the pump, and NOTHING. You could hear it priming, but no fuel was coming out, and there was plenty of fuel around it. Depressed, cold, and tired my friends friend thought I might have mistalenly got the wires backwards on the pump (I didn't), so he had me switch the wires at the plug. Now I get nothing, no priming, no main relay clicking, and the CEL doesn't turn off.

I have no idea what the hell is going on, and I feel just plain defeated and want to just go pass out.

I could really use the help here.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Walbro 255 primed but not pushing fuel.

Put stock pump back on. What happens?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When spring hits I will. I had help from friends before in a heated garage. Now it's back at my place and my garage is occupied with tools and machines so there's no room to work on a car in it. And since it's 20 degrees in the day time (if I'm lucky) and colder at night... Well I'm just going to let it sit till spring and do it then.

I was told that the Walbro's fuel filter can cause problems, so I re-used my stock filter. It was discolored from the fuel, but really clean.

Thinking now, is it possible that maybe part of the plastic inside the pump sock broke off and blocked the fuel from going through the pump?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kinda pointless to try and diagnose an issue that isn't going to be corrected until Spring.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well true, I understand that. I'll be going out and attempting to do this on my own soon, and it's going to suck.

But no, my only question was why would it not be pumping any gas at all? Wiring was done correctly, sock attached properly, and it was secured nice and tight. Sock was sitting in the tank where it should, none of the lines were kinked.

We dropped the tank down at an angle so fuel was all around the pump, turned the key to on so it would prime, we heard the pump on, but wasn't pushing any fuel at all. So yea, screw Walbro's. Going to stick my stock one in and eventually just run an inline pump.